Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,149,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Drivers feel entitled because they are subject to excise tax, registration, law enforcement, insurance and a host of other things they were told are necessary to be on the taxpayer roads.
Okay fair. If you want to tax my bike like my car then $25 per thousand means I would owe you $6.25 annually. I would gladly pay double that to not hear this silly argument again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

16,710 posts, read 8,425,282 times
Default re

Quote:
Not if you have money and kids in the city.

If you're kids have to go from Westie to Sebs, the Park School, or BLS and you have to get to work Downtown....... youre not all riding your bikes there.
that wasn't my point...they might still care about their health environment but riding a bike isn't practical.

Riding a bike isn't practical for MANY people... but if you live close enough to where you work, you can do it. When i worked at a tech place in Cambridge many people with kids still somehow managed to ride bikes to work. There were showers for people who got sweaty from their bike ride in.

Some folks are more motivated than others to ride their bike. Why bother arguing this?

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

5,156 posts, read 2,717,665 times
Quote:
Its only divisive if that where your mind is at. If you feel defensive you react defensively.

Generally people around Boston who have no pot to pss in are either unemployed, or using public transit (possibly on a fare free bus), or a child- who cannot drive anyway.

The poorest areas of the city certainly seem to have the fewest cyclists.
If you choose to be less disrespectful you'll be more likely to engage in more effective communication with people. Communication is a two way street and involves actually listening to those with opposing views and respecting that there are different points of view. Using words like privilege which many find disrespectful--and for good reason--implies you don't care about any of that because you are driving a one-way (likely political) agenda with no real interest solutions. In addition, of course, to the fact that it's highly subjective and based on perspective not fact. People get defensive for good reason. It's like starting a conversation about race discrimination off by saying "you're all a bunch of crybabies"..... but we're here to discuss this help find solutions. Well, you don't HAVE to be defensive. And the poorest sections of the city are also some that are most logistically challenging for bikers. Yet, there are still bikers around.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; Yesterday at 11:06 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,149,898 times
Quote:
Not if you have money and kids in the city.

If you're kids have to go from Westie to Sebs, the Park School, or BLS and you have to get to work Downtown or in Burlington or Framingham....... you're not all riding your bikes around Greater Boston in the mornings and afternoons.
so we shouldn't have better infrastructure for the people who can?
Some people can't take the MBTA. Do you also think MBTA riders are entitled?

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
if you live right next to a train station that you can take to work...then i guess so

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

21,776 posts, read 12,915,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I see BBMM's point where bikers that live in kendall sq or in back bay are privileged in that they have the option to bike or walk to work...but that's not really the point here....like, not the point at all.
Can you really say this when.. you go on to basically mention Kendall Square??

Quote:
that wasn't my point...they might still care about their health environment but riding a bike isn't practical.

Riding a bike isn't practical for MANY people... but if you live close enough to where you work, you can do it. When i worked at a tech place in Cambridge many people with kids still somehow managed to ride bikes to work. There were showers for people who got sweaty from their bike ride in.

Some folks are more motivated than others to ride their bike. Why bother arguing this?

If you can pay $1M on average to live in Cambridge and you work in Tech??? id assume you'd have a nanny taking your kids to school as was common at my private school. (Some kids arrived by cab)

Also, how many employers have showers for cyclists?- thats more privilege. This is exactly what I mean. If you can afford to live in some place like Cambridge and have a pro-bike employer then yeah..you good.

Not sure about the bike lanes on Cummins Highway in Mattapan. Cambridge is mostly for a variety of reasons. Mattapan? Not so much. And I think most people in Cambridge are generally pro-bikelane. They still need to be done correctly though.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Default re

Quote:
Can you really say this when.. you go on to basically mention Kendall Square??

If you can pay $1M on average to live in Cambridge and you work in Tech??? id assume you'd have a nanny taking your kids to school as was common at my private school. (Some kids arrived by cab)

Also, how many employers have showers for cyclists?- thats more privilege. This is exactly what I mean. If you can afford to live in some place like Cambridge and have a pro-bike employer then yeah..you good.

Not sure about the bike lanes on Cummins Highway in Mattapan. Cambridge is mostly for a variety of reasons. Mattapan? Not so much. And I think most people in Cambridge are generally pro-bikelane. They still need to be done correctly though.
boston has basically become a city of privileged people...many things are geared towards those people. Everyone else fends for themselves.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post

The vast majority drive, and so they feel like they should be favored. Logically- I get it, even if its not for the greater good of society. The reality is this country was made for every mode of transit other than bikes. Retrofitting transit nodes to accommodate the ultra minority of bikers is disruptive and frustrating for reasons youve been made aware of.

And who cant take the MBTA?

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

Quote:
boston has basically become a city of privileged people...many things are geared towards those people. Everyone else fends for themselves.
Sorry cambridge is mostly *childless for many reasons.

Yes it has- it breeds resentment amongst the majority. Bike lanes are a visual reminder that evoke visceral feelings. And its understandable where it comes from.

The repsonse from the haves/privileged is usually some snide remark about "boo hoo" or "move". I'm not lying when I say that, that IS the reaction. And that creates more negativity and its just ugly.

I dont see how this stops. People love their cars. And people in Boston react negatively to any change, including bike lanes. They're not 100% right here either.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

5,156 posts, read 2,717,665 times
Quote:
Sorry cambridge is mostly *childless for many reasons.

Yes it has- it breeds resentment amongst the majority. Bike lanes are a visual reminder that evoke visceral feelings. And its understandable where it comes from.

The repsonse from the haves/privileged is usually some snide remark about "boo hoo" or "move". I'm not lying when I say that, that IS the reaction. And that creates more negativity and its just ugly.

I dont see how this stops. People love their cars.
You can love your car all day and night. But you're not entitled to exclude other modes of transit from using the roads. Driving a car is actually a privilege under the law, biking is not. Anyone is entitled to bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston