Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 08:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Yea it sucks.

https://www.universalhub.com/mbta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 09:39 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
The pandemic has really crushed MBTA revenues, so while I haven't been reading about them lately, I can imagine that this has severely impacted the money they have available for operating expenses, including maintenance.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:44 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
They must really be in trouble. They were in trouble pre pandemic for years.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:08 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
We will see what becomes reality if Michelle Wu becomes mayor. She has been campaigning heavily to repair the MBTA.

Does she think she's running for governor now?

Old 09-29-2021, 10:12 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Does she think she's running for governor now?
No, But I am sure she will have a little more influence on the decisions versus an extremely pro Union mayor

Old 09-29-2021, 02:54 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
To be fair, they are doing some upgrades and maintenance, but it seems to heavily favor the green lines. They've redone the rails and some stations on the B already, the C and D both got rail replacement projects in the last 2 years, and they're doing replacements and upgrades on the E right now (in addition to the GLX).

My perception is that the red and blue lines are largely ignored, the orange gets tiny bits of TLC here and there, and the green line is the apple of their eye.
As a former daily Red Line rider and current near-daily Blue Line rider, I'd disagree. The Blue Line has the newest complete fleet in the system (all of the vehicles were replaced between 2007-2011 meaning the oldest blue line train is from 2007). The Red/Green/Orange all have trains in their fleets from the 60s and 70s. This is why the Blue Line has far, far fewer breakdowns and accidents than Red/Green/Orange. They're also currently doing pretty significant track work and tunnel upgrades on the Blue Line. The Red Line has also had complete track replacements in the past few years and has a full new fleet of vehicles on the way.

In my book, the Orange Line is the neglected child. The work that is done on the OL is more life support than "TLC." The new trains will change things when they fully roll out, but until then it's an absolute mess of a line.

Most of what's been going on with the Green Line in recent years has ties to the GLX. The track work, Lechmere viaduct updates, signal improvements (all across the network), B-line consolidation, etc. are essential to ensure the extension works as intended. The safety improvements are a response to otherwise preventable crashes. Plus, the Red Line/Mattapan line benefits from Green Line improvements as the older Green Line cars will be moved to the Mattapan High Seed Line to replace the literal antiques running on that section.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:24 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
As a former daily Red Line rider and current near-daily Blue Line rider, I'd disagree. The Blue Line has the newest complete fleet in the system (all of the vehicles were replaced between 2007-2011 meaning the oldest blue line train is from 2007). The Red/Green/Orange all have trains in their fleets from the 60s and 70s. This is why the Blue Line has far, far fewer breakdowns and accidents than Red/Green/Orange. They're also currently doing pretty significant track work and tunnel upgrades on the Blue Line. The Red Line has also had complete track replacements in the past few years and has a full new fleet of vehicles on the way.

In my book, the Orange Line is the neglected child. The work that is done on the OL is more life support than "TLC." The new trains will change things when they fully roll out, but until then it's an absolute mess of a line.

Most of what's been going on with the Green Line in recent years has ties to the GLX. The track work, Lechmere viaduct updates, signal improvements (all across the network), B-line consolidation, etc. are essential to ensure the extension works as intended. The safety improvements are a response to otherwise preventable crashes. Plus, the Red Line/Mattapan line benefits from Green Line improvements as the older Green Line cars will be moved to the Mattapan High Seed Line to replace the literal antiques running on that section.
There's quite a few newer cars rolling on the green these days too. I see a new orange car every now and then, but not many.

All the track work and station upgrades around BU along the B are on lines that don't run to Lechmere (E line); if it's needed for the E GLX, why would anything past Copley on the B/C/D need fixing? The new work along Huntington may be, though, but there's been a lot of work on all of the green lines in the last few years, which is a lot more love and maintenance that I've seen applied to the orange. The only major track work for it that I remember was last year up toward Wellington; meanwhile, they've done work between Reservoir and Kenmore, Packards Corner and Kenmore, and now from Northeastern through Brigham Circle for the green. It also got the remodeled Gov Center stop a few years ago.

I can't definitively say what the motivation is, but the perception I have is there's been more frequent upgrades and renewals paid toward the green than the other lines combined.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:26 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
If only we could get that infrastructure bill passed without the additional $3.5 trillion worth of pork…

Though on a second thought whatever we get if it passes will be gone in a flash - all those sticky fingers are itching to approve their own 160 hour weekly timecards…

Old 09-29-2021, 03:30 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
^^The fact that it's the oldest and also subject to street wear and tear probably have something to do with it. It's also heavily used for downtown transit and for Fenway events.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:35 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
It mostly has to do with corruption, bloated pensions and outright theft - we could have replaced every single train many times over if we didn’t have MBTA employees approving their own timecards with $200K worth of overtime every year and retiring with full pension at 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
^^The fact that it's the oldest and also subject to street wear and tear probably have something to do with it. It's also heavily used for downtown transit and for Fenway events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston