Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 08:41 PM

11 posts, read 15,611 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are leaving the miserable Phoenix summers and moving to either Boise or Tampa. I haven't been to Boise since 1988, but I went to BSU. I'm originally from Chicago and dislike cold weather. I have also lived in Florida and hate humidity. I'm torn. Things to do and job market seem to be better in Tampa. But Boise is such an easy place to live. My husband doesn't ski so I have to wonder if I'll even do that activity. What is there to do in Boise and the rest of Idaho. We can afford renting a house at $2200/mo, minimum 1500 sqft, 3 bed, 2 bath with a fenced backyard for dogs. So far I'm considering Meridian or west Boise. My company has three offices in Boise so I won't have to commute to DT in rush hour. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by SusanandTeddy; 01-20-2024 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: added question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 09:23 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Housing at your budget should be doable, especially if you don't need to commute downtown and can live a little further out.

As for cold, a couple weeks ago we had several days in the single digits, with daily highs in the 20s. Record snow last week that closed schools and caused traffic issues. This week we're in the 40s and barely getting into freezing temps overnight.

Is your husband interested in learning to ski (downhill or Nordic), or perhaps snowshoeing? I ask because from what I've seen, folks that really dislike cold and don't remain active over winter have a difficult time.

We ski and do sports that can be done inside during cold months (pickleball, basketball, gym classes).

There's plenty to do in the city. Here's a calendar of downtown events: https://downtownboise.org/events/events-calendar There's a lot more all over the Treasure Valley (e.g. https://www.idahopress.com/boiseweek...iscoveryPath=/ ) Yet the area is smaller than Phoenix, so there's less to do in the city.

Lots of outdoor options in spring, summer, and fall. Camping, fishing, hunting, backpacking, hiking, hot springs, mountain biking, golfing, river rafting. IMO, Boise is great if you like mountains and rivers and outdoor activities. But for those that don't really enjoy these things it's probably not worth the premium to live here.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 01-20-2024 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-22-2024, 09:57 AM

399 posts, read 562,983 times
We moved here just over a year ago from Las Vegas...so, similar environment as Phoenix for temps, etc. Winters are long and grey...spring/summer/fall are amazing. If your spouse isn't into winter stuff...I highly advise against moving here. Camping in the mountains wraps up in Sept / Oct - or as soon as the snow is forecast - that's when the hosts will leave and close up the sites for winter. Likewise, they don't open up until June...so there is basically about 4 months of camping in the higher elevations unless you like being cold & wet. Last year we went to McCall kayaking for Memorial Day - it was a ghost town. Camping in Sawtooths in June was 40's and pouring rain. July / August / September - stunning, best camping / hiking I've ever done. Just be aware that the season is short.

Airport is awesome - easy in / out, but limited nonstop flights east of Chicago. If you want any big city stuff you're driving to Salt Lake (5 hours), Portland (6 hours) or Seattle (8 hours). The city is demographically very white conservative...not an issue, but after being in Phoenix it may be a little shock.

When we relocated we rented a 3/2 house in South Boise (while looking to purchase) and it was $3000/month - at $2200 you're likely going to be out near Nampa (that direction anyways), not in Boise proper. The rental we had was in a good area, but had problems with black mold and a spider (black widow) issue that the landlord refused to remedy. BL: $2200 in Boise will be really tough to find...or pretty sketchy.

I love Boise...my spouse does not...I suspect we'll be gone to warmer location in a year or so.

Best of luck!

Old 01-22-2024, 12:50 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanandTeddy View Post
My husband and I are leaving the miserable Phoenix summers and moving to either Boise or Tampa. I haven't been to Boise since 1988, but I went to BSU. I'm originally from Chicago and dislike cold weather. I have also lived in Florida and hate humidity. I'm torn. Things to do and job market seem to be better in Tampa. But Boise is such an easy place to live. My husband doesn't ski so I have to wonder if I'll even do that activity. What is there to do in Boise and the rest of Idaho. We can afford renting a house at $2200/mo, minimum 1500 sqft, 3 bed, 2 bath with a fenced backyard for dogs. So far I'm considering Meridian or west Boise. My company has three offices in Boise so I won't have to commute to DT in rush hour. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance!
The Tampa area is going to likely be less expensive than in and around Boise. You're going to like the winter months in Florida much better obviously, the flip-side is the humidity and heat in the spring and summer in Florida that will make Phoenix's high dry heat seem easy to deal with. Other than skiing what other outdoor activities do you both enjoy? That is a very important question and absolutely will dictate if you're going to like living in Idaho. There is a lot to do in Idaho and a bunch within a reasonable driving distance from the Boise metro area but the warm months are shorter up here so your activities will be truncated versus most of the lower 48. I suppose you'll need to sit down an study the pros and cons of each and decide--though the financials are going to be a sticking point if you're limited to ~$2,200/mo. There are decent areas all around the outside city limits of Tampa (like Ruskin/Lakeland) that will fall right in to your price range for a 3/2 house 1,500-1,600sq.ft or maybe a little larger if the house is older. Just know you'll be living the salt life if you move there. Not really all that much to do outdoors that doesn't involve water in Florida, and that's ok if that's your thing. Traffic isn't too bad in and around Tampa but is significantly less tolerable versus Boise's metro. Lastly, the job market is going to be better overall in Tampa so that's also a point to consider as you mentioned.

Have you thought of a happy medium like Tennessee, Arkansas (northern half) or Oklahoma (eastern half)? They are going to have a little longer warm months in the spring, summer, and, early fall versus Idaho and aren't going to be unbearably hot and humid like Florida. And the outdoor activities are abundant in those areas. The cost of living and rent cost is going to be less than the Boise metro and most of Tampa generally speaking. Just a thought.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
I've visited Tampa a couple times. Certainly a lot to do in the city and nearby beaches, etc. Besides the humidity is the high count of PITA Bugs. By comparison the Boise area has a far lower bug population. As mentioned by esas there are black widows, though in our experience they come and go. Long and gray winter are debatable and based on your previous experiences. I grew up outside of Portland, OR, so winters here are sunny and crisp, with the occasional storm blowing through.

I guess it comes down to what do you and your husband like to do with your free time? What is his work situation in both cities? Do you have, or plan on adding, kids soon? We've lived here about 16 years, and my wife doesn't ski, so I don't either very often. We still keep busy in the winter with city things to do, (commercial hot springs are open in the winter too), or things we can do in our house/yard. Spring will be here soon, and that is a very nice season outside in Idaho. Traffic is a breeze here compared to bigger cities, so I'd assume Tampa can be a traffic nightmare in comparison... more similar to Phoenix.

Good Luck picking your place.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:51 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
The city is demographically very white conservative...not an issue, but after being in Phoenix it may be a little shock.
There's a larger hispanic population in Southern Idaho than this may lead you to believe, especially closer to Nampa/ Caldwell.

Quote:
Have you thought of a happy medium like Tennessee, Arkansas (northern half) or Oklahoma (eastern half)?
Just as a warning, I have some friends outside of Oklahoma City and we sometimes compare weather. A few years ago when we were consistently comparing, their winter was shorter than here but the temperature briefly dipped much lower for a few brief stints than we ever reached here (something like several days of 0-10F there during the day vs 20-30F here). From what I have read, East Tennessee would be similar. I cannot speak to Arkansas.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:25 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanandTeddy View Post

Big difference between Boise and Tampa. Boise brutal winters, Tampa brutal summers. What’s your poison ??? Lol

Old 01-23-2024, 08:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Big difference between Boise and Tampa. Boise brutal winters, Tampa brutal summers. What’s your poison ??? Lol
Brutal winters, lol. Tell us you don't know Boise without saying it.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:08 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
The winters in Boise aren't brutal. I lived for many years in Great Falls, MT, and the in-laws lived about 20 years outside of Rapid City, SD. Those areas are much, much more brutal in the winter than Boise.

Usually there is quite a bit of sun most weeks (OP you lived here for your college years, so you should be familiar). Typically, ('23/'24 winter isn't typical) we get a brutal few days to a week of weather in November or December. Usually January is pretty dry and sunny, then another brutal few days to a week in late February or early March. There will be a few dustings to a couple inches of snow between those brutal days/week, but mostly it's dry and we're hoping for more snow/rain in the valleys, and lots more snow in the mountains. The mountains often get the majority of their snowpack in March/April, but it is mostly rain in the valley. Lots of sun in-between snow or rain events. Boise is a high desert city, so lots of sun most of the time. Other parts of Idaho are different. North Idaho has more cloud cover more often. Eastern Idaho tends to be a few degrees colder and maybe a bit more wind.

Anyway, Boise vs. Tampa winters will be vastly different. Boise summers would be more similar to Phoenix, but likely 10 - 20 degrees cooler, and the peak heat in Boise is usually from mid-June to the end of August. If insects bother you and/or your family, then Tampa will be more extreme than Boise.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:39 PM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Boise has change a lot since you lived here in 1988. The population has roughly doubled! You won't even recognize BSU's campus.

The art, music and food scene has increased with our population.

My oldest son lives north of Orlando, Florida. I enjoy going to visit but can't imagine enjoying the humidity or bugs in Florida. Hurricane's have been more common there lately too.

Maybe you can convince your company to have you come out for an orientation visit? That is the best way to know for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area