Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM

35 posts, read 73,890 times

Advertisements

Thank you.
Yes, $25k is major. I am self-employed and don't work much during the summer because we have 2 kids 6 and 4. We mostly live on what my husband makes. Both boys will be in school in August and I will be able to work while they are in school so that will help. My income won't make or break us. In Boise, I wouldn't have the luxury of keeping the flexi schedule I have here so that I can be with the boys and work when convenient. Plus, we would probably have to add a daycare expense up there if I had to get a job working for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I did the math between living in Phoenix and Boise as well. Was just about 10% cheaper to live in Idaho. But a comparable job in Phoenix pays 30% more than the same job in Boise plus I could get better benefits. Hoping at some point to find a telecommuting job that does not care where I live and move back up to Boise.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I did the math between living in Phoenix and Boise as well. Was just about 10% cheaper to live in Idaho. But a comparable job in Phoenix pays 30% more than the same job in Boise plus I could get better benefits. Hoping at some point to find a telecommuting job that does not care where I live and move back up to Boise.
Funny thing unrelated...You and I moved from Phoenix to Boise and back to Phoenix. I know you would love to move back to Boise (as I would), one of my reasons for moving back is that its too damn hot here...yesterday, it was 109 degrees in Boise, and 117 here...which to me all feels the same. Big dif of course is that it cools off at night there, and in a couple of months beautiful fall begins.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 27 times
Default Verdict??

I realize this is a super old thread, but I am contemplating this same move. Currently in Scottsdale Az, married with two boys 7 and 8. I did live in Boise as a kid from 1995-2000 but have not been back since so have no idea what it is like now. Would love to move somewhere where we can slow down the pace a bit, spend more time outdoors, and raise our kids with more conservative values (Arizona is losing on that front). I am super interested in the Eagle area. Did the original poster end up moving to Boise area and what was the verdict?? I’m dying to know!

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmichele View Post
I realize this is a super old thread, but I am contemplating this same move. Currently in Scottsdale Az, married with two boys 7 and 8. I did live in Boise as a kid from 1995-2000 but have not been back since so have no idea what it is like now. Would love to move somewhere where we can slow down the pace a bit, spend more time outdoors, and raise our kids with more conservative values (Arizona is losing on that front). I am super interested in the Eagle area. Did the original poster end up moving to Boise area and what was the verdict?? I’m dying to know!
I'm not OP, hopefully they're respond.

As you probably know, the Treasure Valley has changed a lot since 2000. The population has about doubled since then, and so there's a lot more development and sprawl. Not as much as Phoenix, but worth noting. Lots of new subdivisions in Eagle, and Eagle Rd/Hwy 55 along with State St experiences a lot of congestion. Politically, Eagle is still fairly red, yet is being somewhat overshadowed by blue Boise and increasingly purple Meridian. I have family in Eagle and notice there's quite a bit of griping and fear about the change. As for slower pace, I don't know. The Boise Metro is pretty busy, maybe not as bad as some bigger cities, but I wouldn't call it a slow pace. Boise does have great access to the outdoors, but the growth has impacted this, especially on weekends and holidays. It's just something you have to expect and be okay with.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

819 posts, read 1,068,278 times
I concur with AnythingOutdoor's comments. I raised three sons here in Boise and they loved it. There are good choices for education from public, private and charter schools. There are amazing programs through the YMCA, Boise Parks Department, Zoo Boise, etc. to get the kids actively engaged in getting out meeting new friends and experiencing life.

Old Today, 02:05 PM

400 posts, read 563,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmichele View Post
Currently in Scottsdale Az, married with two boys 7 and 8.
We're looking to leave Boise for Scottsdale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area