Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 05:31 AM

950 posts, read 862,950 times

Advertisements

I found a cool video of the Pizitz Food Hall and Sidewalk cinema in downtown Birmingham! Crazy because that entire building was an abandoned eyesore just 10 years ago!

https://youtu.be/msmsYmLRN0k?si=AAl2j6lxASODXK29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 02:40 PM

13,124 posts, read 9,686,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Woa !!! When did Nola fall below 1 million !?! They better hope Red Stick residents don't get a hold of that info.
They already have that information as of last April. They lost a large parish from their metro at the last update, dropping from 8 to 7 parishes, so it's not so much that they're shrinking that fast (but they are losing people) but rather the way the metropolitan area is delineated.

On the other hand, Birmingham picked up Walker County that had been dropped last time around (likely because of I-22 opening), but it's a pretty small county.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,225,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
They already have that information as of last April. They lost a large parish from their metro at the last update, dropping from 8 to 7 parishes, so it's not so much that they're shrinking that fast (but they are losing people) but rather the way the metropolitan area is delineated.

On the other hand, Birmingham picked up Walker County that had been dropped last time around (likely because of I-22 opening), but it's a pretty small county.
Gotcha

Old 11-07-2023, 08:53 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,796,998 times
If downtown is growing rapidly, that must mean the rest of the city is collapsing rapidly... because while the downtown population as increased by like 6,000 over the last 15 years, the other neighborhoods have lost more than 20,000 in that time frame.

Tourian is so delusional.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:30 PM

950 posts, read 862,950 times
Construction is ramping up on the Southtown redevelopment project!

https://www.al.com/news/2023/11/work...velopment.html

Old 12-12-2023, 11:50 AM

10,513 posts, read 7,108,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Construction is ramping up on the Southtown redevelopment project!

https://www.al.com/news/2023/11/work...velopment.html

So what's the deal with a few of the old housing units in Southtown still being occupied? I know it's part of some preordained plan. Are the residents of those buildings moving into the new construction once completed?

Old 12-12-2023, 06:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,201,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Are the residents of those buildings moving into the new construction once completed?
Yes. The majority of those that stayed were elder residents. That is why the first apartments constructed was for them. Once they move in, then they will demo the remaining dated units.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:15 AM

10,513 posts, read 7,108,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Yes. The majority of those that stayed were elder residents. That is why the first apartments constructed was for them. Once they move in, then they will demo the remaining dated units.

Thanks! My wife and I were speculating on that.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:42 PM

410 posts, read 370,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Being a Birmingham resident and former Homer myself I think I can honestly say it's because we are jealous of our neighbors and we wish so bad to be in the national conversation with Nashville and Atlanta primarily, then other midsize faster growing metros to a lesser degree. Birmingham residents cannot stand the fact that Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Nashville, ATL, and Tampa are growing like wildfire and get all the attention. They can't stand that other cities are first to get the latest/newest trends and we're left behind 10 years or so.

huh??? Have you ever thought that the successful people birmingham does have stay here because it's *not* Atlanta or nashville?

If I had wanted to spend the last ten years in a big city I......would have moved. It's not like the bigger cities have a "not allowed" sign. I could easily get a job in those places.

I don't think birmingham thinks about those much more prominent(and much busier and much more hectic and much more traffic and generally much more expensive) cities much at all.

This doesn't make any sense.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:48 PM

410 posts, read 370,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Bet you won't see AL.COM report this, or the fact that metro Birmingham is now larger than metro New Orleans. But had it been a certain other city, it would have been plastered all over their website. It's cool though! Just stay tuned!
In any real sense the birmingham area is not larger than new orleans. A 5 year old could pull up pictures of new orleans(the downtown area, the french qtr, other sections) and compare them to birmingham and see that one of these is more prominent than the other. And some wonky definition of metro areas that says someone living way outside jasper freaking alabama is part of the birmingham area changes that......

and btw I'd much rather live in the birmingham area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area