Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,859,526 times

Advertisements

I would hope that no other signs go up. I just think this one was grandfathered in because of the broken sign board that is already there. I think it is mostly lawyers in Two North Twentieth these days so if they want to pitch in and have the sign removed to put a bar up there I am all for it. Or maybe they'd do some kind of rave club or one of those invitation only type deals where they eat sushi off of naked asian women... but I digest.

I'd like to think of this as more of a dirigible mooring mast and gargoyles type town. But definitely no more soft drink ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,350,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I would hope that no other signs go up. I just think this one was grandfathered in because of the broken sign board that is already there. I think it is mostly lawyers in Two North Twentieth these days so if they want to pitch in and have the sign removed to put a bar up there I am all for it. Or maybe they'd do some kind of rave club or one of those invitation only type deals where they eat sushi off of naked asian women... but I digest.

I'd like to think of this as more of a dirigible mooring mast and gargoyles type town. But definitely no more soft drink ads.

At least as it rusts and rots and maybe some help from the wind, it will come down. Grandfathering does not allow for repairing it. Any changes and it is gone. That is why they used the plastic wrap approach. If it does not come down for the same reason that the MAGIC CITY TRAIL went up then I give it no more that ten years to sustain damage. (so if anyone sees someone on top of the building just look the other way)

Speaking of dirigibles, I wish to see the new tower on Thomas Jefferson up long before the building is finished. It is going to be a show stopper at night, from everywhere.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:36 AM

Yes. The TJ will be a much welcome addition to the skyline once it is lit.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Birmingham could get its own National Park | AL.com

People already come from all over to visit the museum and the key places. Might as well make it official and build on it with federal dollars. Those tourists always bring money and they will want to eat and sleep while they are here.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 PM

Step 1 for getting NHP designation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...oric-park.html

Quote:
Should Sewell's bill pass, the effect of National Park status will amount to more than just prestige, according to*Dilcy Hilley, vice president of marketing for the Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"Were delighted to hear that’s a potential happening," Hilley said. "It would mean so much for the district. The funding that comes along with being named. It would mean extra development of things like the A.G. Gaston Motel."

Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 PM

401 posts, read 541,069 times
Zoom Zoom

Fiber internet coming to the Ham

Old 03-21-2016, 01:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the other municipalities will quickly want to get in on that to make sure they are connected. I'm guessing that AT&T will make a cryptic and nebulous claim about them building a fiber network so as not to appear upstaged.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM

401 posts, read 541,069 times
How Birmingham, Alabama, Thrived Despite Jefferson County's Bankruptcy - CityLab

New park for Cahaba Heights

Old 03-22-2016, 07:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,350,049 times
Dead cows? (I missed these, and why would cows die because the county has financial problems)

I missed the part about a thriving city; this was a damning assessment.

(funny to focus on a city and use a photo of its medical district and call it downtown; and this is among much more totally incorrect 'information')

But, I am never surprised, why should I be.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Dead cows? (I missed these, and why would cows die because the county has financial problems)
Deja vu. I thought the same thing. We talked about this somewhere else before.

Quote:
(funny to focus on a city and use a photo of its medical district and call it downtown; and this is among much more totally incorrect 'information')

But, I am never surprised, why should I be.
Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area