Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 05:00 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's a dove which is a seed and grain eater, not a meat eater.

Get rid of the tunafish. Wild bird mix with black sunflower seeds.

Best practice: If you have a local wild bird rescue, take it there... if it has survived this long, it may make it.
Yes! I read the bird won't earth the tuna.

Wild bird mix with sunflower seeds? Can I also feed millet in a pinch?

Bird is resting. Probably needs the right seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Looks like possibly hit by a car, judging by that injury and the possible broken wing.

Agree, it’s definitely a dove, possibly a mourning dove.

You should get this bird to an avian vet, wether you plan to keep it or not. If no avian vet available, get it to a wildlife rescue organization, preferable one who deals with wild birds. Sooner the better.

Yes, this dove does not need the tuna, seeds are the ticket. And water in a bowl. If it’s well enough, it will drink on its own. And don’t let it walk around in the poop or the pool of water you poured over it.

If you can put a smallish branch in there, it might perch on it.
Bird is in dry environment now.. seems to be nursing one wing and doesn't want to perch yet.

Would you agree I saved this bird's life so far?

Old 10-03-2023, 05:25 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Bird is in dry environment now.. seems to be nursing one wing and doesn't want to perch yet.

Would you agree I saved this bird's life so far?
Seems so. However, if the wing is broken, you need to let a veterinarian look at it. It will never fly if it heals wrong.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I don't think doves eat sunflowers; their beaks just aren't capable of cracking the shell. I would think millet is more appropriate. I found this article via an internet search: https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+d...000&showconv=0

Our pet pigeon ate a diet of smaller seeds that I used to buy in bulk from my local seed supplier. Pigeons and Doves have a softer type of beak than a parrot.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 10-03-2023 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-03-2023, 09:30 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Doves love small grains like millet.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I wasn't sure if the OP has done so, but I recommend putting a heating pad set on the lowest setting beneath the container or cage that the bird is in.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Cover the cage around 3 sides with a towel. The bird needs quiet & to feel safe. Try feeding millet, or a wild bird seed mix, also provide a shallow dish with water. Get rid of the tuna, you can even do a little torn-up bread or small, fine cracker crumbs. I once saved a baby sparrow with a thin mixture of oatmeal & water, try that. Mostly, the bird needs rest & quiet.

I don’t know how happy a wild dove will be in captivity, I would at least try to contact a wildlife rescue. But, you did a good thing. Doves are beautiful.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:49 AM

I got the bird some pirate food and some millet this morning. The bird can do high jumps but can't fly at least not yet.

If someone can guarantee me that the bird won't get euthanized if I bring the bird to a vet I would love to get the wing checked out. Right now the bird is resting seems happy and doesn't appear to be able to fly but is 10 times better than when I found him upside down on the street and would have certainly died.

So I read that while someone posted that they liked the sunflower seeds so I got the powered food that seemed to have a decent amount of them but will the dove eat the parrot food I didn't get the cockatiel food

Old 10-04-2023, 06:57 AM

*parrot food.

I wonder if you all think this bird will be okay and what comes next for the bird.. Obviously I want the bird to be happy but this is the first time possibly ever that I've decided to save a wild bird's life that was injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c59-O---vX4

Old 10-04-2023, 07:29 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
No one can guarantee that the vet you use won’t euthanize the bird, except the vet himself.

I would think that since the bird is in your possession, they would consider it yours and would not euthanize without your ok. You can call around, describe what you have, and see what they say.

If the bird cannot fly, you cannot release it, even once it’s seemingly healthy.

Is there a reason you seem unwilling to try to find a wild bird rehabber?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds