Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 09:55 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
birds are meant to fly free,it is very cruel to keep them indoor,or pretend to be outdoor in a cage .
Would you want someone to keep you in a cage ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
That statement is garbage. Leaving a bird outdoors without a cage would be a certain death sentence. Parrots are no longer imported and that is a good thing for the birds in the wild. However, domesticated birds are not properly acclimated to a wild environment and stand little chance of survival in the long run. You have watched too many Disney films where some of the main characters are birds.

Next you will tell the community that nobody should have a pet dog, cat, fish or whatever in their house and they should roam wild as well.
dontaskwhy is absolutely correct. My lovebirds are the product of generations of lovebirds bred in domestication. If I were to let them loose outdoors their life-spans would be made considerably shorter and less pleasant due to extremes of weather, parasites, and predatory hawks and cats. My birds respond to me when I let them out of their cages everyday for exercise (in a "bird-safe" area of my home). Granted, domesticated birds sometimes escape into the wild from time to time, but again, those gently bred birds are not exactly living la vita dolce. The idea of letting domesticated animals run (or fly) free in the wild to "enjoy" themselves is a rather naive one. In fact, the real cruelty is in abandoning domesticated animals in the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 11:21 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times
I assume that poster meant that they should not be caged and domesticated in the 1st place...

Old 06-16-2021, 02:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I assume that poster meant that they should not be caged and domesticated in the 1st place...
Perhaps that was his/her point.

As a former bird breeder I would like to point out that without domestic breeding programs, many species would already be extinct in the wild instead of a small amount. Mankind has domesticated animals for thousands of years, this is not a new trend that started a couple of years ago.

There are some successfully reintroduced species due to domestic breeding programs.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:13 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have brought my birds out on my porch in the warmer months but I stay out there with them. They stay in their cage. I only keep them outside maybe for 30 minutes, Unless it's very hot and humid then they stay inside where it's cool.I'd never leave them unattended.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
many species would already be extinct in the wild instead of a small amount.

There are some successfully reintroduced species due to domestic breeding programs.
Maybe. I didn't know that. But, I have always felt sad when I see the birds in a pet store - so, I understand what that person meant. I always think that people should be leaving them out free, instead of in a cage. Birds were meant to fly.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:35 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Maybe. I didn't know that. But, I have always felt sad when I see the birds in a pet store - so, I understand what that person meant. I always think that people should be leaving them out free, instead of in a cage. Birds were meant to fly.
You are also forgetting that the caging used in a pet shop isn't intended or designed to house the birds long term. It is temporary and partly to protect the birds and keep things easier to clean. What enrages me are people who buy birds from pet shops assuming that the cage they saw them displayed in is appropriate for their entire lives. WRONG! It is pretty hard to choose any cage that will be too large for any bird. Many cages sold for birds and other pets are simply too small. Their designers are thinking primarily of convenience for the humans. Which is why I build my own cages/aviaries for the critters I've kept over the years.

I have kept cage birds of various types most of my life. Yes, I understand that they were originally intended to fly free in the wild. Yes, I do feel some guilt and anxiety about confining them. But, at the same time, that understanding drives me to only keep species that don't require huge territories or any that would normally migrate long distances. I give these carefully chosen birds as much freedom in my indoor world as possible and also do everything I can to enrich their lives within the space they do have. Super-intelligent birds are going to suffer somewhat from confinement, but they suffer more from social isolation. Not all birds are super-intelligent. What they appreciate in life is often fairly simple; healthy diet, clean water for drinking and bathing, proper temperature and light, and protection from environmental hazards, predators, disease, and competition. Their behavior will tell you how contented they are too. Obviously, a frustrated unhappy bird isn't going to survive as long as one that has its needs met.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-19-2021 at 03:49 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 05:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It is common for people to have outdoor aviaries in warm climates. If you have an aviary completely sealed against predator attacks (usually using 1/4" hardware cloth), you an do it. However there are still a number of risks:

1. They may escape while transferring them form their inside cage to the aviary.
2. A sudden rain squall of sudden drop in temperature that you do not notice could kill them.
3. Ants or other bugs can kill your birds. We had our finch aviary in California attacked by ants and they kills a considerable number of our finches before we noticed and killed the ants. Mosquitos can also be a threat to some birds (specifically canaries, not sure about other birds) because they spread diseases.
4. If your birds attract attention of other wild birds they can transfer diseases that domestic birds have little or no resistance to. When I lived on a boat, I used to leave my cockatoo on deck in a cage while I went to work. He attracted dozens of seagulls who seemed to like hanging out with him. They pooped all over the boat, so the owners told me I had to stop leaving him on the deck during the day. The seagulls also could have given him a seagull disease (they didn't).
5. If you just put your bird out in a small household cage instead of a sturdy purpose built aviary a determined predator will be able to get into the cage, or at least knock it over. Racoons like to kill birds just for fun, so if they can get their hands inside, they will tear the bird's head off. Minks are amazingly clever about getting through tiny spaces and finding ways to make space for entry. They like to suck out the bird's blood. Snakes, rats, other birds, foxes, dogs, cats, curious children, coyotes, mountain lions, and other animals also desperately want to get to your pet bird for various nefarious reasons. If your birds are outside unattended, they need to be barricaded into fort Knox aviary, not a cheap store bought cage made in china.
6. You bird can overheat just from being in direct sunlight. It does not need to be all that hot. You have to make certain they are in shade and remain in shade on sunny days.

If they re attended by you at all times, the risk is much lower. Attended means you sit right next to them and look at them the whole time. My cockatoo used to come outside and play in the grass with me, go to the beach with me, go to restaurants and bars, bicycle rides, attend meetings and even a wedding outside. He was unable to fly at all so there was no risk of him spooking away, but I still had to remain constantly vigilant. Sometimes even when he was just sitting on my shoulder, I discovered hawks circling us waiting for their chance. There is never no risk at all. however there is even some risk when hey are indoors as well.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
when my parakeet is out of the cage,he will always go to the window and look outside,so sometimes I will take him outside ,he becomes very quiet,not sure if he likes it or not?
He likes to watch TV and likes to sing along !
Been thinking of getting another and build an outdoor aviary this summer,but I CANT take all the poopings !

Old 01-26-2022, 03:55 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
when my parakeet is out of the cage,he will always go to the window and look outside,so sometimes I will take him outside ,he becomes very quiet,not sure if he likes it or not?
You're taking him outside his more familiar surroundings. When you take him outdoors he's in sensory overload. He may feel insecure, vulnerable and staying quiet so he doesn't draw attention to himself. His posture and demeanor should tell you more if you understand his body language. When he's busy absorbing all the sights and sounds, he's too preoccupied to chatter!

Old 01-26-2022, 06:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
yes,he is rather quiet when he is outdoor.
But some one said wild birds may pass on disease to my bird,so better not let him out too often, when he is indoor,he always look out the window but I dont see any bird outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds