Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 09:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Those roundabouts and the lane expansions are excellent improvements. Nevertheless, I retain my opinion for both lower Puna and especially upper Puna, where no such improvements have been made.

Instead, three lights have been added since a couple decades ago that all work to create traffic bottle necks: Shipman, lower Puna bypass and Kamehameha school. With 4 lanes and perhaps a roundabout or two between Keaau and Mt. View, traffic flow would be much better. Although there are far fewer autos on this route than between Pahoa and Keaau, the carrying capacity is being stretched to its max.

For sure, the number of added vehicles on the road in the Hilo/Puna area is incredible compared to the time OP brings to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 03:16 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
To their credit, right after the newspaper article on this the police cleaned up the area around the Mo'oheau bus terminal and along the Bayfront fence line. I think they did the same w/ the bandstand area. The problem though is their mind set. In the article concerning the clean up, the people who were responsible for it kept mentioning over and over how it was done in a friendly manner w/ plenty of aloha.

Sorry, this needs to be done in a straight up legal manner because it is eroding the safety of everyone who comes around there, especially children. It's also an area that is totally exposed to almost everyone downtown. That's the trouble w/ this sort of thing, as so many mainland cities have found out. Once it gets established it is very, very difficult to reel things back in.

I remember when a political group was camped out behind a big furniture store in downtown Hilo for ages. Those folks had built a mini city of tents and tons of trashy stuff and were partying it up 24/7. The city kept threatening to do something (only after numerous business owners and others complained), but never did. The city's viewpoint was because it was on private property and the owners were OK w/ it, then they were powerless. Almost anywhere else, a city would have condemned all those structures, private property or not, and charged the owners for the code violations and clean up. I think something eventually happened similar to that, but it took way, way too long, and this just empowers every fringe group there is to do something similar.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Those roundabouts and the lane expansions are excellent improvements. Nevertheless, I retain my opinion for both lower Puna and especially upper Puna, where no such improvements have been made.

Instead, three lights have been added since a couple decades ago that all work to create traffic bottle necks: Shipman, lower Puna bypass and Kamehameha school. With 4 lanes and perhaps a roundabout or two between Keaau and Mt. View, traffic flow would be much better. Although there are far fewer autos on this route than between Pahoa and Keaau, the carrying capacity is being stretched to its max.

For sure, the number of added vehicles on the road in the Hilo/Puna area is incredible compared to the time OP brings to mind.
That light at shipman needs to go. It's a solution looking for a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: