Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 13,299 times

Advertisements

The only place in Hawaii that you will find a house for less than $500,000 is in the Hilo area.
and mainly in the Puna area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 03:57 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikicarver View Post
The only place in Hawaii that you will find a house for less than $500,000 is in the Hilo area.
That's not true. Maybe the only place to find a nice house with paved streets and county water, but there are plenty of houses in Ka'u for sale for less than $500,000.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:55 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikicarver View Post
This gem is selling for less than $500k (Fee Simple) on Oahu:

https://www.redfin.com/HI/Waianae/85.../home/63855088

Old 03-05-2023, 07:11 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This gem is selling for less than $500k (Fee Simple) on Oahu:

https://www.redfin.com/HI/Waianae/85.../home/63855088
Yikes. If you've been to Waianae you'll understand.

A friend of mine lives there and pays a lot for the protection and separation his gated community provides.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:12 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napaunui View Post
Avoid the high hazard volcanic zones; insurance is available, but very expensive.
Linked below is a quick description of the lava zones and the only (that I know of) search engine that allows you to enter an address or place and it will tell you what lava zone it's in.

https://dayna.justlistedinhawaii.com/blog/lava-zones/

Old 03-05-2023, 07:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Here's one for under $500,000 near Na'alehu in Ka'u: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M89612-77944

And another one: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M89612-77944

A little bit better than Oahu

Old 03-05-2023, 08:38 PM

483 posts, read 624,414 times
This guy Bill has a great youtube channel and talks a lot about the different areas for growing on the BI, and good info on buying land. @GreenGardenGuy1

Old 03-05-2023, 09:26 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Yikes. If you've been to Waianae you'll understand.

A friend of mine lives there and pays a lot for the protection and separation his gated community provides.

If it was a car, it would be marketed as "ran when parked, mechanic's special".....

Old 05-07-2023, 05:27 PM

129 posts, read 119,050 times
My wife was born and raised on the Big Island. She moved to Portland, Oregon in 1998 — as did I, from Atlanta, Georgia — which was where we met. She’d long wanted to move back someday. In 2021, she was retired, and I had a job that allowed me to work from anywhere. She made two long scouting trips and reluctantly concluded that it wouldn’t be a wise move. The only affordable area for us was HPP, but the traffic into Hilo was awful, as was burglary and property crime. Too many people have moved there because it’s the cheapest place in Hawaii. Healthcare is bad, according to her relatives and old friends. Hilo was suffering from homelessness and decay compared to when she lived there, although that’s a common problem almost everywhere. Even in HPP, we couldn’t afford the kind of house she’d always dreamed of. We ended up moving to Louisville, Kentucky to be near her older son and his wife. We couldn’t be happier, and we can always visit Hawaii. We have easy access to so many other places on the Mainland that we probably wouldn’t be able to visit from Hawaii. This isn’t to say that the BI isn’t right for you — just that you really should visit and rent for a few months until the halo effect wears off, and make sure it’s right for you. Hawaii is a beautiful and special place, but it isn’t paradise, and there are many other places where you can have a better quality of life for less money. Whatever you choose, i hope it works out for you.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:16 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
My wife was born and raised on the Big Island. She moved to Portland, Oregon in 1998 — as did I, from Atlanta, Georgia — which was where we met. She’d long wanted to move back someday. In 2021, she was retired, and I had a job that allowed me to work from anywhere. She made two long scouting trips and reluctantly concluded that it wouldn’t be a wise move. The only affordable area for us was HPP, but the traffic into Hilo was awful, as was burglary and property crime. Too many people have moved there because it’s the cheapest place in Hawaii. Healthcare is bad, according to her relatives and old friends. Hilo was suffering from homelessness and decay compared to when she lived there, although that’s a common problem almost everywhere. Even in HPP, we couldn’t afford the kind of house she’d always dreamed of. We ended up moving to Louisville, Kentucky to be near her older son and his wife. We couldn’t be happier, and we can always visit Hawaii. We have easy access to so many other places on the Mainland that we probably wouldn’t be able to visit from Hawaii. This isn’t to say that the BI isn’t right for you — just that you really should visit and rent for a few months until the halo effect wears off, and make sure it’s right for you. Hawaii is a beautiful and special place, but it isn’t paradise, and there are many other places where you can have a better quality of life for less money. Whatever you choose, i hope it works out for you.
Couldn't agree more.

Puna has seen a lot of growing pains in the 30 years I've been there.

Real estate and/or building a home used to be cheap there. This is no longer the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island