Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 03:25 PM

26 posts, read 33,233 times

Advertisements

Most of the areas I chopped my way through were aa lava, very rough and chunky. is it possible for a bulldozer or a D8 Cat to level it without ripping when it's all chunky and rough? Someone else suggested the same thing I just don't want a nightmarish driveway LOL.

My friend in ocean view has a rough driveway like yours, but the back of her property is ripped it's kind of weird.

She got a really good deal on her place. A man had built a house and everything was roughed in including the plumbing and electrical, but he never bothered putting in cabinets or flooring or sheetrock or anyting. He just lived in the place all baren for like 15 years. She picked up the place for about 60 Grand and put another 30 grand into it and now she has a really nice house and property for cheap. She used her 100k inheritance it was a perfect situation for her. There are actually a lot of really good deals on Hawaii island if you're willing to put in some sweat equity. But who wants to retire and then just lay around on the Lanai? I want to have projects and stuff keep me busy and make the property really cool and magical to impress my mainland guests!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 12:57 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
We had a very rough driveway improved last year. The guy that did it also usd the backhoe to pull out about 6trees to extend the driveway around a carport. We live in Ocean View and have mostly aa lava and blue rock with just a little pahoehoe.
Would a sheepsfoot roller help post-ripping in such circumstances?

Old 01-30-2023, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,182 times
Aloha,

I just received an estimate of $20K to clear 1 acre of the 2 acre lot I have in Fern Acres and I was shocked to learn how expensive it is! I was wondering if you actually had moved to the Big Island and how big of the lot you ended up clearing and for how much. I was wondering if you can share your experience in moving to the Big Island and for clearing your lot. Any recommendations or suggestion will really be appreciated.

Thanks.
Supertav

Old 01-30-2023, 12:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertav View Post

I just received an estimate of $20K to clear 1 acre of the 2 acre lot I have in Fern Acres and I was shocked to learn how expensive it is!
How much did you think it would be?

Old 01-30-2023, 03:55 PM

No clue but definitely not $20K for 1 acre. I will need to shop around and perhaps only clear the driveway and the lot where I'm going to build.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:07 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
No clue but definitely not $20K for 1 acre. I will need to shop around and perhaps only clear the driveway and the lot where I'm going to build.
You can rent equipment from Herc or Home Depot in Hilo and do it yourself.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
I don't have a clue either - from what I can tell online $20K seems on the very upper end - I'd get more quotes

Old 01-30-2023, 04:58 PM

Yeah $20K is a bit pricey. I will definitely shop around and I may have to rent a weed wacker or even a bulldozer for a week and do it myself.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
$20k to clear an acre? Or to rip it? They are vastly different, and $20k for clearing an acre seems crazy high to me, but I haven't priced anything like that in 10 years. Unless you're starting a commercial orchard of some kind you probably don't want the lot ripped. Once ripped a lot can never be unripped. But a cleared lot can eventually recover. Ripped lots are magnets for all sorts of invasive species.

You might need to size the job to meet your financial situation. If it were me, I would put clearing the driveway, house area, and lot lines (for fencing) at the top of my list. One may not want fencing, but it would also provide nice corridors for or walking routes to inspect / enjoy the property and if you keep it clear it would be easier to fence later if that's what you want.

Good luck, and I hope you report back.

Edited to add: Some bulldozing quotes don't include delivery of the bulldozer, because they don't own the equipment to move them and have to hire the job out. And some dozers will want to store their bulldozer on your land until they start the next job. Probably not a big deal but I've heard of some operators getting mechanical and money issues at the same time and wind up "storing" their gigantic bulldozers on somebody's lot for months. Just more things to ask about.

Last edited by terracore; 01-30-2023 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: