Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

Not too many trails along side the roads. Folks trailer their quads to a few places with trails, though. Have you been to the island before?

Property theft is huge in the area you're looking, so keeping things secure will be a priority. Having a gun isn't going to help much since they will just wait and watch you leave. There is only one entrance to most of these sub-divisions so they can see when folks leave. I'm not sure what the gun laws are in Hawaii, I'm sure they are different than those in Alaska.

For what will grow, a lot of it depends on the elevation of your lot as well as the sun and rain. There are several varities of almond which will grow here, check out "low chill" varieties of things to make sure they will survive and thrive without winter chill time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,656 times
The warning about property theft is best listened to. In addition to the thieves waiting for you to leave, they aren't adverse to killing your big, barking dogs that you've left while you go out shopping. You can't stay home 24/7. When we lived in the boonies on the BI I finally put a large sign near the home stating "This property protected by Nobody's Home Security Inc. Come on in! Owner's NEVER home. PLENTY valuables inside. Come! See! Owner does NOT have a gun!" Then, at the bottom in small writing it said "Notice: Nobody's Home Security is not responsible for statements made by Nobody's Home Security". Worked a treat. We never had any troubles. If people think you're nuts, especially the locals, then you're unpredictable, and may do anything. Thieves like simple and safe. True story.

If I'd tried this in the Tenderloin in 'frisco, they would have cleaned the place out in 5 minutes. Horses for courses.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,272 times
OP obviously hasn't visited and I find it sad that he really just wants to bring his way of life (guns, shooting dogs, quads, and who knows what else) to Hawaii. Hawaii is not that much of a gun nut state, and I'd rather like to keep it that way.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
OP obviously hasn't visited and I find it sad that he really just wants to bring his way of life (shooting dogs) to Hawaii.
He's not welcome in MY neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
Quote:
OP obviously hasn't visited and I find it sad that he really just wants to bring his way of life (guns, shooting dogs, quads, and who knows what else) to Hawaii.
I suppose it is better that OP learns now that getting along in Hawaii has tons to do with the subtleties. Guns, shooting dogs, quads (what ... on public beaches? public trails?) isn't going to fit in.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschultz View Post
I haven't read up on Hi gun laws and the right to protect property. I'm an easy going guy that will help just about anyone, but I work hard for my stuff and the thought of thieves doesn't set well. Also if your dog is loose and causing problems, chances are it won't be coming home, if ya get what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm not sure what the gun laws are in Hawaii, I'm sure they are different than those in Alaska.
Quote:
OP obviously hasn't visited and I find it sad that he really just wants to bring his way of life (guns, shooting dogs, quads, and who knows what else) to Hawaii. Hawaii is not that much of a gun nut state, and I'd rather like to keep it that way.
Right KauaiHiker, Hawai'i has some of the most restrictive gun laws and policies in the US, and also has one of the very lowest rates of gun violence in the country. The police and government feel there is a connection between those two facts, so I don't see the situation changing in the foreseeable future.

I had to confront this when I moved to Hawai'i because I had long enjoyed several forms of competitive target shooting and skeet shooting, but I found out I would have to accept some changes to my personal property and to my habits in order to move to the Big Island.

First, one of the pistols I owned turned out to be illegal in Hawai'i, as were a number of magazines I owned for several of my guns. Pistol magazines are limited to 10 shots maximum capacity in Hawai'i, and pistols which can be fitted with a larger capacity rifle magazine, like a Ruger Charger, are banned outright. You can't buy them, you can't legally bring them into the state, and it's felony to possess them.

Any guns brought into the state have to be presented at the Police Department within 3 days for inspection and registration. To buy a gun within the state you have to apply to the Police Department for an Intention to Buy permit, which normally takes a couple of weeks to obtain, if you've already taken the prerequisite safety course, and involves being fingerprinted and passing a background check. If you haven't taken the safety course, add another month or so to the process. There are only a few stores that sell guns, and their selection is small. I asked to see a handgun at one store, and before the salesman handed it to me to look at, he fitted it with a large lock to make it completely inoperable.

Open carry is illegal, and concealed carry permits are unobtainable. There are only a couple of target ranges on the island, and they're only part-time operations. Ammunition is expensive. Reloading supplies like powder and primer are not carried in the stores. Police seem quite prone to confiscation of all firearms in a household whenever there's any report of whatever, and I've heard they really don't like to give them back. There's more, but this should give you a taste.

IOW, if you're looking for a state which is friendly to gun-ownership, Hawai'i is not it.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
When I got to the part on your post about "as were a number of magazines I owned for several of my guns" being illegal, it took me awhile to realize you meant the containers that ammo is loaded into and not those glossy paged booklets frequently found on the bathroom reading shelf. Whew! For a minute there, I though Hawaii was going completely overboard about gun laws.

There used to be a place along the coast here where folks would target shoot, but they just closed that area awhile back. I don't know if there are any official target shooting places on the island. FWIW, many of the pig hunters hunt with knives.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
When I got to the part on your post about "as were a number of magazines I owned for several of my guns" being illegal, it took me awhile to realize you meant the containers that ammo is loaded into and not those glossy paged booklets frequently found on the bathroom reading shelf. Whew! For a minute there, I though Hawaii was going completely overboard about gun laws.
Sorry for the confusion. Here's exactly what I meant... the metal box or carrier which contains the ammunition in a modern self-loading pistol, like the ones the police carry, is called a magazine. In various designs those magazines can carry 13, 16, even 19 cartridges... what civilians often incorrectly call bullets... allowing that many shots to be fired before reloading. But in Hawai'i, and California too, I believe, pistol magazines must be constructed in such a way that they are limited to a capacity of 10 shots.

Quote:
There used to be a place along the coast here where folks would target shoot, but they just closed that area awhile back. I don't know if there are any official target shooting places on the island.
Last time I checked (it's been a while) the Nation Guard target range behind the Hilo dump was still being used by the Guard once a month, and was open to public use the other three weekends. It's run by a club, and it has a skeet range (shotguns and flying clay targets). And there is supposed to be a guy down in lower Puna who hosts a gun club and target range, but I've never managed to connect with him. I just kind of drifted away from all that once I headed for Hawai'i.

Quote:
FWIW, many of the pig hunters hunt with knives.
Yeah, we get a lot of pig hunters up at Ollala Forest, and you see guys with hunting rifles in racks in their pickups, with dog cages in the back, and occasionally you'll hear a few shots being fired, but yeah, an awful lot of the local guys take pride in letting their dogs corner the pigs, then in going in to make the kill with a knife. A couple of times a year they stage a big competitive hunt based at the Cooper Center, and late afternoon you can see maybe 20 - 30 big wild pigs being weighed for the prizes... trophies mostly, and the two grand prize winners each get a pallet load of dog food.

I've got some pictures somewhere.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 AM

406 posts, read 865,497 times
Has there been any more info on this Hawaii Government Sued Over Restrictive Firearms Laws | Hawaii Reporter ?

For more info on Hawaii's gun laws check Hawaii Gun Laws ,Hawaii Gun Laws ,Hawaii Concealed Carry, Gun Laws and Firearm Permit Information ,Hawaii Gun Club and Waikiki Gun Shop & Indoor Range

Mickey

Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM

49 posts, read 132,792 times
Fern Forest is ok, especially for the price. I didn't see that particular area you're talking about, but it seems that in most of the subdivisions, things can vary ALOT from street to street as far as neighbors. I think you should plant pistachios to try them, for sure! but, as another poster mentioned, they are a desert tree so maybe Kona would be better for them. Maybe mounds of cinder and tied to each other or to a fence. You can pretty much tie any fruit tree limbs to a fence and get them to trail.

Man do I love pistachios!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island