Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,769 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am planning on moving from Massachusetts out west, this fall, to either bend Oregon or Whitefish,Montana. I am a teacher and I have visited both places in the summer time only. I loved the community in both towns along with the very friendly people and outdoor enthusiasts. I like the fact whitefish is so close to glacier and all of the untouched beauty that Montana has to offer, although it seems more remote. I also love bend and the northwest trails for hiking, easier winters, and great community. Any help or recommendations or suggestions about the winters in both places, along with which community would be great for a 35 year old single female! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 05:40 PM

124 posts, read 145,945 times
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I'll also be moving out west very soon, I've already settled on the Bend Oregon area. I also looked at smaller communities in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, but many of them were not close enough to big city ammenties. The great thing about Bend is that it's not too big but has plenty of the ammenities you'd expect in a decent sized city, while also having the splendid natural surroundings.

How much do you like winter? The winters up in Montana will probably last a few weeks longer and you'll definitely get a lot more snow up there.

If nature is most important to you, then not many places can top Glacier National Park.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,769 times
I know! I hear you about glacier. It is absolutely incredible. I guess being up in whitefish, I don’t know too much that surround it besides Kalispell and big fork. Being in bend, it’s kind of nice knowing there is so much to travel to whether it be Cali or Washington, the coast , etc. as for winter, I can ski but I’m not very good at it. Montana in the summer is pretty incredible but I feel like maybe bend would be more my speed year round.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Both MT and OR are tough on teacher salary and jobs. (neither fund schools well)

Consider WY!!! Very good schools (but fewer jobs). AK would be another natural choice for good teacher pay and well funded schools.

WA and ID also would each be better than MT or OR (for career)

Definitely Whitefish / Columbia Falls over Bend!!!! if you can deal with being 'away' from metro area.
Really close to a lot of NICE Canada outdoors activities.

Other choices... Bellingham, WA or Whistler area (BC). Very nice if you do sea kayaking + Snow skiing.

During earning yrs... Living and working in an Income tax free state is handy (WA, AK, NV, WY for western mtn states, add western SD). If you have any school loans you can get them forgiven by working on a NA reservation (Most western states have a few of those each, several near great mtn areas)

Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,129 times
I think Bend is wonderful if you can find a job that pays enough to live here.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I think Bend is wonderful if you can find a job that pays enough to live here.
BendLocal. That is so true.

I work in Real Estate and have clients & friends struggling to afford homes or rent here on the local salaries.

Better values outside of Bend. IMO: Prineville, Madras & Lapine areas have the "more" affordable house costs.

Have no idea what the teach pay is like in Whitefish?

Best of luck and PM me if you want connections for Real Estate or rental options.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Kalispell metro has about 100,000 people. Missoula is about 100 miles away and has more than that. If that isn't enough base to provide desired urban amenities, Spokane is 250 miles away and Coeur d'Alene about 220.

Whitefish MT school funding is about 25% less than national average. Bend about 20% less than national average.

Check job availability, salaries. I would think these towns probably get 10-30 applications per open teaching job or more. Might try nearby towns too.

Winter, there are town conditions and mountain conditions. Bend probably does have easier town conditions most years but the winter mountain conditions are pretty substantial both places.

Glacier National Park is easy to access 4-5 months per year. Winter enthusiasts can access parts of it if they make the effort.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
Whitefish is a considerably more upscale place to be then Bend at this point. Each has it's pluses and minuses. But for cleanliness and low crime Whitefish is leagues superior let alone it's proximity to some of the most beautiful country in the world.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:07 AM

8 posts, read 12,195 times
i honestly feel that both places are beautiful but montana is a less welcoming culture and im not sure they do as a good a job raising their young people as oregon does. im speaking or writing in real general broad terms of course but i dont think a gay person would find acceptance in montana you would hear homophobic slurs from middle school kids or high school kids at a playground and ... im straight... but still i remember thinking and wondering if those kids were gettin raised right u know what i mean lol.

with glacier and like u say, the outdoor recreation opportunities are there. but ... idk. i feel like bend has proximity to the bay area in california for a long weekend or week and definitly the coast and the ocean and portland vancouver seattle.

the longer u stay u might value those escapes from your escape u know what i mean lol.

both are beautiful places and im sure u could seasonally pick up side work , or being a young person, find co renters , that would help you overcome any cost of housing hurdles you might face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend