Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 08:50 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,545,954 times

Advertisements

4-2 week, 2 series wins on the road against Detroit & Texas. Now onto the bad news of the week:
The move to Sacramento is official, so barring a home postseason game the official last game in Oakland will be Thursday, September 26 against the Rangers.
Now onto some good news: Not only are they not the worst team in baseball at the moment (the White Sox & Marlins have that down) they aren't even the worst team in their own division as the Astros after a series sweep at the hands of the Royals own last place at 4-10. They got pretty good pitching this week: JP Sears had a no hitter into the 7th, and him & 3 relievers combined on a 1 hitter & Paul Blackburn had a shut out in Detroit over the weekend.

They've got 2 NL teams coming to Oakland: The Nats come in for the weekend, and the Cards follow them in on Monday. These were 2 of the 3 last place teams in the NL last year, so if the A's are going to go on a run, this is probably the week to do it. I'll put 2-4 as the barometer: Just win a game in each series, and it's probably a successful week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 06:03 PM

73,237 posts, read 62,930,586 times
Former Oakland A's pitcher Ken Holtzman passed away on Sunday, April 14, 2024. He was 78.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:22 PM

Default 8-11

Did one better than I thought at 3-3. All 6 games this week were close with the largest margin being the 3 run win in the finale against St. Louis. They head on the road to the East Coast this week 3 in Cleveland starting on Friday and than 4 in the Bronx starting Monday which includes a really odd Monday afternoon start time.

Cleveland is leading the AL Central, and the Yankees have been going through a cold spell, so I think I'll set another 2-5 week for the goal. The Bronx, even when they were good, has always been a difficult place to play.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:59 PM

33,379 posts, read 12,681,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Former Oakland A's pitcher Ken Holtzman passed away on Sunday, April 14, 2024. He was 78.
Thanks for posting this .

I got to see all of his postseason home games with the A's.

My dad took me to every A's postseason home game in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975.

RIP, Ken.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:01 PM

Default 10-16

They got the bookends in New York which makes it a happy flight/train to Baltimore. All the runs scored in the 2 A's wins this week were home runs: the Monday game was a 2-0 A's win won by the A's in the 9th on a Zach Gelof home run. And than tonight there were 3 home runs which accounted for all 4 runs. And Mason Miller is legit filhty! Struck out Volpe, Soto & Judge on 100+ on Monday and retired Soto & Judge as the tying run tonight with a strike out of Soto. By far the highlight of this series was Yankees manager Aaron Boone getting thrown out by the home plate umpire on Monday who mistook a heckling fan sitting behind the Yankees dugout as Boone after he told Boone to be quiet. But I guess that's what happens when the Yankees put on a random game on a Monday afternoon in mid April. You get 10,000 people in the stadium (LOL @ the attendance for that listed as over 30,000) so the rabbit ears can perk up more than they usually do.

Back to 6 games this week. The road trip continues to Baltimore with 3 against the O's, than the Pirates coe to Oakland for 3 games starting on Monday. I'm thinking 3-3. Probably lose the series in Baltimore, but they could win the series vs. Pitt.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:24 PM

Default 15-17

This actually went surprisingly well. Finished the week 5-1 with a series win in Baltimore, and than did what they had to do and went home and swept the Pirates.

They have the Marlins coming in this weekend, and this should be a series win. Marlins are a team that is so banged up at the moment with pitching injuries galore, they need to keep the momentum going. Seattle's in first, Texas is a half game back, Oakland is 3 back, Angels (sans Trout) are 5.5 back, and the Astros are in last at 6 back.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:56 PM

Default 17-18

They won 2 out of 3 against the Marlins which is what they had to do. Texas comes in for 4 which includes a very weird scheduled double header on Wednesday, and than following an off day Thursday they'll head to Seattle for 3 against the Mariners. Maybe you split the 4 games with Texas and manage to win the series in Seattle, that's the best bet. What I expect is probably a split with Texas and than a series loss in Seattle, so I'll take 3-4. Seattle's in first, Texas is a half game back, Oakland is 2.5 back, and the Astros & Angels are tied at 7 games back.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:47 PM

Default 19-23

They had been playing over their heads for the last couple weeks, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised they won only 1 game each against the Rangers and Mariners. 4 games in Houston starting on Monday, and than 3 in KC to end the week. Astros are a team that is really struggling right now. They just won the series over the Tigers, but are still only 15-25 on the year and as long as Oakland gets 1 win they'll head out of Houston still in front of the Astros, and Verlander pitched Sunday so the A's will miss him this go around. And the Royals meanwhile are one of the surprise packages, along with the A's, 27-15 in the early going and tied with the Twins a half game behind the division leading Guardians. A good week is 5-2, what I expect is 3-4, I think they can manage a split in Houston but lose the Royals series, while a bad week would be 1-6. Seattle is in first, Texas is a half game back, Oakland is 3.5 back, Houston is 6.5 back while the Angels are 7 games back.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:01 PM

Default 19-30

Well, this run was fun while it lasted, but I think they turned back into a pumpkin. They didn't win any of their 7 games this week. Rockies come in for 3 to start the week, and than the second series against the Astros over the weekend. Rockies are in contention for one of the worst records in baseball, and at home this is a series they should be able to win, but the Astros maybe difficult. A good week is 4-2, what I expect is 2-4, and a bad week is 1-5. Seattle is in first, Texas 1.5 back, Houston 4 back, and the Angels and A's are tied at 7 back.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

Default 22-33

Played 3 straight 1 run games against the Rockies, lost 2 of 3 to Houston, and then won the first game in Tampa last night. They’ve got 2 remaining in Tampa and than 3 in Atlanta to end the trip. A good week is 4-1 in the remaining 5, what I expect is 2-3, and a bad week is 0-5 through the next 5. Seattle in first, Texas is 3.5 back, Houston is 5.5 back, Oakland is 7 back, and the Angels are 8 back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball