Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Yay, finally an official thread!! I could never find one either, I think because most baseball fans hate the Yanks for understandable reasons. I too would have hated them if I didn't have New York roots, especially those stacked teams. But this particular team is so fun!! I love the Baby Bombers and no matter what happens against the Astros, I'm happy with this season. Now Girardi's game 2 blunder is kind of avenged.

I'm a Nationals fan, so let me give you this advice: You never know when you are going to be in this situation again. I was satisfied in 2012 blowing a 6-0 3rd inning and 7-5 9th inning lead thinking "hey, we'll be back here every year. Chalk this up to experience." 5 playoffs later and they are STILL looking for that first series win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:18 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'm a Nationals fan, so let me give you this advice: You never know when you are going to be in this situation again. I was satisfied in 2012 blowing a 6-0 3rd inning and 7-5 9th inning lead thinking "hey, we'll be back here every year. Chalk this up to experience." 5 playoffs later and they are STILL looking for that first series win

That's true but you're comparing the Nats vs the Yankees. I know the Nats aren't a small market team like the Reds, Breweres, Royals etc. But they are still the Yankees.

Yankees are going to be around for a long time. Not only do they have young players but they have the financial means to go out & get a couple very good players.

I expect the Dodgers & Yankees to both be in the playoffs or at least one of them every season for a long time.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Series tied 2-2. Hoping Keuchel doesn't completely dominate again. The first two games the Yanks looked like they couldn't see the ball at all.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Man...I was pulling for you guys. I have nothing against the Cubs, but they just won so I was looking for a Nats/Dodgers matchup. I guess it wasn't to be this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Series tied 2-2. Hoping Keuchel doesn't completely dominate again. The first two games the Yanks looked like they couldn't see the ball at all.
I was worried about Keuchel too but turns out we didn't need to be! I really think that was a must-win game because going back to Houston and facing Verlander will be very hard. The Astros will be looking for a statement game, considering how lackadaisical their offense has been. The Yanks need to really bring it because of that 1-4 away record. Fortunately, that 1 win was a decider in Cleveland so they proved that they can rise to the occasion. If they are to get to the World Series then they'll have to do that again.

A lot of Game 6 will depend on how Severino comes out. I love him but he's young, versus Verlander being the savvy vet. In the ALDS, Severino did well because he was in large part inspired by Tanaka's great performance. So let's hope that happens again.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This never made sense to me..If they lose happy about what? You think they will just magically be this far every year?
Are you being dense on purpose? There's nothing "magical" about it. This is a young team with a ton of talent that will only improve. And like Statz said, they're the Yankees, and they are always contenders. Why else do 90% of baseball fans hate them? It's not like I assume they'll 100% be back to where they are this year in 2018, but I have no reason to think the sky will fall if they lose to the Astros or Dodgers/Cubs. The core of the team is young and they will only improve from here. Of course that could change due to injuries or other unpredictable elements but I don't bother worrying about that stuff. It's just sports. I enjoy watching this team and they got a lot farther than anyone thought. So yeah I'm happy for them regardless of result.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:32 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I've always been a National League guy, Brooklyn Dodgers then NY Mets, but have been watching and enjoying the Yankees-Astros series. What I noticed last night was in the top of the 3rd the camera panned thru the Astros dugout with close-ups of many of the players. I've never seen a team with eyes looking so defeated, they just looked like they had no fight left. If I was the Houston owner I'd be really POed. On the other hand I've been enjoying watching the Yankees as they appear to have no quit in them.

Perhaps we'll see an old school Yankees-Dodgers match up?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Hope so! So much history in that match-up.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM

717 posts, read 1,149,337 times
I'm sure most people are thinking this, but nobody has said it yet: This team reminds me so much of the '96 Yankees. A bunch of young home-grown players who are slowly learning how to win championship ballgames, a sprinkling of veterans to guide them, and some pretty solid starting pitchers and bullpen. All of them gaining confidence with each win. Someone always stepping up in each game. Seeming to thrive with the increasing pressure. Wasn't Girardi on that '96 team?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
If the Yankees had experienced better luck in one run games in the early going, they would also have wound up a 100 or more win team. (They win 102 by Pythag expectation) There was a perception that this was a team still a year away from completing rebuilding, and that the 91 wins represented their current talent level. It did not, that level is actually much higher.

The future certainly looks extremely bright for NY, as it does for the Dodgers. Neither Houston nor Cleveland is going to be able to sustain their star rosters indefinitely, the price of success is always a massive jump in the cost of the players. We could be heading into another period of haves and have nots where a few teams (LA, NY and the Cubs) dominate the championships.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:02 PM

Yes, I've seen the comparison to the '96 team many times elsewhere online...exciting! Yes, Girardi was on the team. His first year with the Yankees. I still think he's the best manager for this squad. He does have flaws, sure, but his team is a win away from the World Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The future certainly looks extremely bright for NY, as it does for the Dodgers. Neither Houston nor Cleveland is going to be able to sustain their star rosters indefinitely, the price of success is always a massive jump in the cost of the players. We could be heading into another period of haves and have nots where a few teams (LA, NY and the Cubs) dominate the championships.
I agree. LA and New York have the money to keep their star players where those other teams don't. That's why many hate those teams, for their big payrolls, because it feels like the smaller market teams can't compete. But it's not something those teams can necessarily control, and why would they want to? You have the money, spend the money.

No one thought the Yanks would progress this quickly, mostly because people underestimated how quickly the players would grow. Last year, Judge was mostly a strikeout machine with some promise, but people thought it'd take a lot longer for him to improve, not at this seemingly meteoric pace. I don't think most really grasped how good at adjustments he is. He's a smarter guy than people give him credit for because he always says the safe things to the media (also what I consider a smart move, lol). I don't think he's even close to his ceiling either. Neither are Sanchez and Severino. Bird is showing signs of being amazing. That's why I'm excited for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball