Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:44 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times

Advertisements

The Blue Jays fit good with the Royals and Mets, all three have 2 WS under their belt. I favor the way the Jays did it, with back to back wins. Always exciting when the Jays have a shot at the WS. The Canadians fixed my Chevy in 1985, and I never forgot the new distributor I brought back home as a souvenir, it was very affordable, they were winning me over until I had to stop for gas.

I really like the second photo that kcmo posted, I think every man, woman, and child in KC came out to make Royal Jelly that day, think they have solved their fan base problem, lol. I recently made a post in the Mets thread, trying to soothe the suckage for them a little, but I might have failed in that effort. Perhaps they did not know the Cubs minor league franchise is only 4 miles up the road from my house, and I did not like the way they beat the crap out of those Cubs in a 4 game sweep, because it made the Cardinals and Pirates look so bad. It's not like the Cubs had any real chance. At least the Royals gave up one game to the Mets and took the sting off a little, probably not intentionally as they were just getting bored that night and fell asleep.

Oh, and one more thing about the Mets, don't name your ball park after a bank or insurance company, CITI Field, that's lame. I hate that crap, they renamed our little Cub hangout "Principal Park" (insurance company) from it's former Sec Taylor Stadium, a well respected sports reporter whom attracted national attention by the quality of his work, and attracted the Cubs to Des Moines in the first place. When I go to the ball park, I want banks and insurance companies to be out of sight, and out of mind.

Last edited by mofford; 11-05-2015 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The Blue Jays fit good with the Royals and Mets, all three have 2 WS under their belt. I favor the way the Jays did it, with back to back wins. Always exciting when the Jays have a shot at the WS. The Canadians fixed my Chevy in 1985, and I never forgot the new distributor I brought back home as a souvenir, it was very affordable, they were winning me over until I had to stop for gas.

I really like the second photo that kcmo posted, I think every man, woman, and child in KC came out to make Royal Jelly that day, think they have solved their fan base problem, lol. I recently made a post in the Mets thread, trying to soothe the suckage for them a little, but I might have failed in that effort. Perhaps they did not know the Cubs minor league franchise is only 4 miles up the road from my house, and I did not like the way they beat the crap out of those Cubs in a 4 game sweep, because it made the Cardinals and Pirates look so bad. It's not like the Cubs had any real chance. At least the Royals gave up one game to the Mets and took the sting off a little, probably not intentionally as they were just getting bored that night and fell asleep.

Oh, and one more thing about the Mets, don't name your ball park after a bank or insurance company, CITI Field, that's lame. I hate that crap, they renamed our little Cub hangout "Principal Park" (insurance company) from it's former Sec Taylor Stadium, a well respected sports reporter whom attracted national attention by the quality of his work, and attracted the Cubs to Des Moines in the first place. When I go to the ball park, I want banks and insurance companies to be out of sight, and out of mind.

*Totally* agree with your last sentence, and about naming parks after banks, I have to say my team ( the Phillies ) are guilty of that too; that I didn't like. The Vet might have been a dump, but that isn't to say that it's replacement needed to be named after a bank

Des Moines, eh? I was actually thinking about transferring there, because it seems that IA always has a robust economy, the traffic isn't a huge issue, and it is much cheaper than the west coast ( but I'd save some of this for a P.M. or something like that ) but yes, it's great that Des Moines also has a baseball team too!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 PM

Hate to admit how relieved I was when the Mets took out the Cubs, a Cubs vs Royals WS would have torn me up. I might have slipped into a coma and not been able to enjoy the Royals win nearly as much.

Since this a Royals thread, should probably mention the minor league team for Royals is the Omaha Storm Chasers (Omaha Royals before 2011) and they have done well this year, as have the Iowa Cubs. Neither team won the northern division however, that went to the Oklahoma City Dodgers with 86 wins, 58 loss,

2015 Pacific Coast League Northern,

Omaha Storm Chasers..... 80 Wins - 65 losses
Iowa Cubs .................... 80 Wins - 65 losses

Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Hate to admit how relieved I was when the Mets took out the Cubs, a Cubs vs Royals WS would have torn me up. I might have slipped into a coma and not been able to enjoy the Royals win nearly as much.

Since this a Royals thread, should probably mention the minor league team for Royals is the Omaha Storm Chasers (Omaha Royals before 2011) and they have done well this year, as have the Iowa Cubs. Neither team won the northern division however, that went to the Oklahoma City Dodgers with 86 wins, 58 loss,

2015 Pacific Coast League Northern,

Omaha Storm Chasers..... 80 Wins - 65 losses
Iowa Cubs .................... 80 Wins - 65 losses
Iowa Cubs are very popular in Des Moines, while the Omaha Royals (I still call them that) seem to be generally ignored by Omaha. I'm actually surprised Omaha is still a AAA club. I can't believe they don't play in that beautiful new ballpark in downtown omaha that is only used for the College WS and Creighton.

The Royal's farm clubs always seem to do pretty well though. I think it's actually the lower ones that really show the future potential. They have a A club in Wilmington that we have not gone to yet. I'm not into minor league baseball, but I think we will go see a game there next summer.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Iowa Cubs are very popular in Des Moines, while the Omaha Royals (I still call them that) seem to be generally ignored by Omaha. I'm actually surprised Omaha is still a AAA club. I can't believe they don't play in that beautiful new ballpark in downtown omaha that is only used for the College WS and Creighton.

The Royal's farm clubs always seem to do pretty well though. I think it's actually the lower ones that really show the future potential. They have a A club in Wilmington that we have not gone to yet. I'm not into minor league baseball, but I think we will go see a game there next summer.
That DT stadium would have swallowed the atmosphere. The smaller suburban stadium is perfect for AAA needs.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

It surprised me when I looked up the attendance figures for 2015, the Omaha Storm Chasers had 386K at Werner Park (9K capacity), while the Iowa Cubs had 504K at Principal Park (11K capacity). Omaha's population is at least one and a half times larger than Des Moines, and even before Werner Park was built, the attendance was lagging every year, lower down on the list for AAA clubs in the Pacific Coast League. Another thing puzzling, the location for Werner is in a rural location 10 or 15 miles out from the city center of Omaha, that has to hurt attendance. Perhaps that's why they did another name change, to help attendance? Not the first time they tried that, from 1999 to 2001 they changed it to Omaha Golden Spikes, then switched back to Omaha Royals until setteling on Storm Chasers back in 2011, when the new park opened. I think they should have stuck with Omaha Royals. I would think attendance should be better for 2014 and much better for 2015, with the parent Royals team doing so well.

One good thing about Principal Park, it's easily accessible in downtown Des Moines, in a good area that has seen much development, lots of new condo's being built close by, plenty of granola crunching yuppie types around there, plenty of bars and hotels close by as well. It could use more parking, gets hard to find a spot within 6 blocks of the park when a game is on. Tickets are cheap, as low as 7 bucks for general admission, one of the nice thing about the minor leagues, it's affordable.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:15 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
I hope the Royals can make it back to the playoffs. I'm not so sure about Kennedy (70 million?) or even bringing back Soria. But the Royals seem to find ways to win games regardless of their shortcomings.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
White Sox are playing well along with the Royals. Jordan Zimmermann was been a pretty nice addition for the Tigers, but the rest of the pitching staff so far stinks. When the AL finally figures out Zimmermann (remember he's been with the Nationals in the NL his entire career) I don't think the Tigers can hold up. Indians are doing alright. Twins started 0-9 and have yet to hit their stride.

I think White Sox & Indians will be in play for the division/Wildcard along with KC. Unless Detroit can land another starter (and even James Shields can't be worse with what they have) I don't see them being competitive in September. Series in Anaheim starts tonight.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 PM

404 posts, read 457,041 times
Royals imploding.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Royals imploding.

When's the last series they won?? Oakland like 4 weeks ago?? They've lost their last 4 (Indians, Nats, Mariners & Angels) and at best will only split this one with New York. They have played a lot of road games and did their 2 trips West in the first 4 weeks of a season, so at least they furthest West they go the rest of the season is Arlington, TX and won't have another game that starts after 8 PM, so they should turn it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball