Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 11:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So far this season we have had a couple of light dustings, which melted away within a few days.

We finally got a couple of inches a few days ago, maybe this will stick. I try to pack down the first layer, to build a base. Then if that base holds any future snow storms we get and I can use my snowblower. Without a solid base of ice a snowblower will have a tendency to dig and toss gravel. I want my snowblower to glide across on a layer of ice and to only toss snow.
I’m having a bit of an issue finding affordable apts in Bangor and in Augusta. I’m surprised as I thought those areas were pretty cheap Until I started having a peek on craigslist. I don’t wanna pay more than 750 a month. Studio is fine. It seems like resources for apartments are very limited in those areas. I would really like to be close to a VA Medical Center in Augusta, but I’d like to have a city bus system and a little bit of a bigger area like Bangor so I’m kind of torn. Any suggestions on affordable apartment living I appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 07:23 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
https://www.apartments.com/99-101-ce...nit-2/lhennpd/
https://www.apartments.com/bradford-...or-me/zx295xz/

I have no personal experience with either.

Good luck in your search!

Old 01-06-2022, 07:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
I just looked on craigslist (Bangor). Here is one out of maybe three listed that are near your price range. This one says it includes heat. Always check to see what if any utilities are included in the rent. https://maine.craigslist.org/apa/d/8...409529684.html

Here is one (could be more) in Augusta says heat, snow removal, city water and sewer included. https://maine.craigslist.org/apa/d/a...428033840.html

Not to muddy the waters, but how do you feel about no laundry facilities onsite?

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-06-2022 at 07:50 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 10:10 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
I grew up in Erie, PA We routinely got dumped on in the winter.
I doubt if the prevailing wind patterns really track along where men decided to build an interstate. But it makes sense to me that if you lived in Erie, of course, you experienced winters with huge dumps of snowfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
... Any suggestions on affordable apartment living I appreciate it
I do not have any further suggestions for you, sorry.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:56 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Quote:
I’m having a bit of an issue finding affordable apts in Bangor and in Augusta. I’m surprised as I thought those areas were pretty cheap Until I started having a peek on craigslist. I don’t wanna pay more than 750 a month. Studio is fine. It seems like resources for apartments are very limited in those areas. I would really like to be close to a VA Medical Center in Augusta, but I’d like to have a city bus system and a little bit of a bigger area like Bangor so I’m kind of torn. Any suggestions on affordable apartment living I appreciate it
I think you are finding out the reality of that area..... small cities and there are not going to be a ton of choices for cheap... life in the whole NE USA is not the cheapest part of the US by any means.

If you are open to other options in the US, let me suggest Johnson City TN. It has a VA Center (Mountain Home) in town, and a fair number of apartments well within in your price range near to the VA, since a middle sized university (ETSU) is near to the VA Center. )get a lease now.... typical university area where the competition for the next school year's leases starts in the spring.) The university presence also drives the area to have a bus system. You're gonna find the people in the area to be quite friendly. You may have to deal with the college students, and the culture will be different from the NE, but this is the first spot that came to mind when I re-read your list of your likes/needs.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I think you are finding out the reality of that area..... small cities and there are not going to be a ton of choices for cheap... life in the whole NE USA is not the cheapest part of the US by any means.

If you are open to other options in the US, let me suggest Johnson City TN. It has a VA Center (Mountain Home) in town, and a fair number of apartments well within in your price range near to the VA, since a middle sized university (ETSU) is near to the VA Center. )get a lease now.... typical university area where the competition for the next school year's leases starts in the spring.) The university presence also drives the area to have a bus system. You're gonna find the people in the area to be quite friendly. You may have to deal with the college students, and the culture will be different from the NE, but this is the first spot that came to mind when I re-read your list of your likes/needs.
Interesting suggestion. I have considered the Tri-City area of Tennessee on and off for years. I’m well familiar with that area on paper at least. It’s a dog gone shame and northeasterner can’t come back home. But there definitely is upstate New York areas like Corning Rochester Plattsburgh and etc. along with Erie, Those are also strong possibilities. The Tri-Cities of Tennessee would be a fantastic area, but culturally speaking with my thick New York accent I don’t know if that would be a smart place to move to

Old 01-08-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I doubt if the prevailing wind patterns really track along where men decided to build an interstate. But it makes sense to me that if you lived in Erie, of course, you experienced winters with huge dumps of snowfall.

I do not have any further suggestions for you, sorry.
There was a time some years ago I remember seeing a number of mobile home parks somewhere around Augusta I think, and lot rents for dirt cheap. But I can’t find any of those anymore. I don’t know what happened to them. Has the possibility exists for me to purchase a older mobile home and I over 55 Park

Old 01-08-2022, 02:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Interesting suggestion. I have considered the Tri-City area of Tennessee on and off for years. I’m well familiar with that area on paper at least. It’s a dog gone shame and northeasterner can’t come back home. But there definitely is upstate New York areas like Corning Rochester Plattsburgh and etc. along with Erie, Those are also strong possibilities. The Tri-Cities of Tennessee would be a fantastic area, but culturally speaking with my thick New York accent I don’t know if that would be a smart place to move to
I agree that upstate and western NY are definitely worth looking at. The region is somewhat economically depressed, but this has the consequence that housing costs are reasonable. There are VA hospitals in Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo. Both the Catskills and the Adirondacks are beautiful, rugged areas, and the Finger Lakes have their charms as well. The areas directly east of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario get massive snowfalls. Albany isn't too bad though and it lies between the Catskills and the Adirondacks, so lots of pretty country and small towns in the region. Corning is a nice town but it's not real near to any VA hospital so far as I know, Corning is kind of out there by itself. I don't know PA quite as well, but have been through enough to know that yes, there will be large areas of inexpensive housing. Erie, Wilkes Barre and Lebanon have VA hospitals.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-08-2022 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-08-2022, 02:49 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
There was a time some years ago I remember seeing a number of mobile home parks somewhere around Augusta I think, and lot rents for dirt cheap. But I can’t find any of those anymore. I don’t know what happened to them. Has the possibility exists for me to purchase a older mobile home and I over 55 Park
There should be trailer parks around Augusta. I live a few hours away, so I am not very familiar with what all is there.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
There may not be "many" apartments available in Augusta or Bangor for $750 or less; however, a person only needs one apartment. If one is available for $850 or $900 and includes heat and possibly additional utilities, could work out.

Regarding mobile home parks... I googled and found 16 mobile home parks in Augusta "area." This one is for people age 55+ ... I have no info on cost of lot rent there. I don't think "dirt cheap" exists in 2022 anywhere a person would want to live... just my opinion based on a bit of research. https://www.mhvillage.com/parks/14984

I contacted two people who live in mobile home parks. One is near Bath, ME and the lot rent (mobile home not included in price) is $365. The other is in the Ellsworth, ME area and the lot rent (mobile home not included in price) is $400. Just heard about a mobile home community near Bath with an HOA fee $500+ per month.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-09-2022 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Adding additional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: