Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 04:57 AM

229 posts, read 316,835 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently live in the DC area, I love VT and Maine. I do spend time in Belfast and also in VT in the Mad River Glenn Area.

In the next ten years I will decide whether to move to VT or Maine, mainly Burlington, Montpelier or Belfast or Bangor.

I do NOT know Bangor at all. Note, I won't need a job.
If somebody knows Burlington VT, would they mind trying to compare the two town, Burlington and Bangor for me?

From what I see online, Bangor seems much more interesting than Burlington.
Am I right?
Thanks
Philippe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:20 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Cost of living is probably better in Bangor. Less hipster-ish as well. I'd go Bangor. Take a flight there. Spend a few days...

Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 AM

229 posts, read 316,835 times
Yep, actually I'll just do that this summer.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
I lived in Burlington for 25 years, and have visited Bangor many times....

Burlington is a bit livelier, with the state university, medical center/medical school, an adjacent Catholic college, a walkable downtown with restaurants, and right on Lake Champlain, with ferries to upstate NY. It's also only 1.5 hrs from Montreal (bring passport, a change from the past). Bangor has some nice residential neighborhoods, especially near the golf course, but the state university is about 10 miles away ( still close), the downtown is somewhat limited, and you're four hours from Boston ( and two from Portland). The cost of living will be lower than Burlington, though. However, Burlington is about the same distance from Boston as Bangor, so there's no advantage there..

If your budget can accommodate it, I think Burlington would be better.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:35 AM

128 posts, read 143,429 times
I've been to both places. Both are interesting.

Burlington is larger, wealthier, more cosmopolitan. Burlington also attracts more out-of-staters than does Bangor. It also does a much better job of keeping its young people.

On average, homes cost more than twice as much in Burlington than in Bangor, if that is a factor in what makes a place interesting.

If you really find ocean activities interesting, Bangor (and especially Belfast) is the place to go. Otherwise, both are good for year-round outdoor activities (if you like the cold and snow). Winters are about equally cold in both places. However, Bangor gets on average 20 days more of sunshine per year than Burlington.

Last edited by Schwartzmann; 07-05-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 06:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Burlington is pretty nice as cities go. Being right on Lake Champlain and watching sunsets over the Adirondack Mtns on the western side, I don't think gets old fast, and if you like boating, it's a large and very pretty body of water. The Champlain Valley has beautiful farms and the Green Mtns are close to the east for recreation also. I have a friend who grew up in upstate NH - he moved to Shelburne, VT (just south of Burlington) 20+ years ago and he loves it. Having said all that, the cost of housing will be considerably higher there, taxes will be higher there, and if you get worked up about politics, you will have to be able to live with the generally liberal attitudes in VT.

P.S. Maine is pretty most everywhere, but I tend to gravitate towards the coast and to smaller cities as well, so I haven't been to Bangor much in awhile. I would highly recommend your visiting both Burlington and Bangor regions for yourself, for at least a week or a couple of long weekends each if you're interested in them. And while you're on your Maine trip, I'd also suggest taking in Camden, Belfast and Ellsworth. They are smaller cities but still have most everything you really need.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-14-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Here is a good reason to pick Maine over Vermont. The last line of the article sums up why.

https://wgme.com/news/offbeat/vermon...ing-for-coffee

Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Here is a good reason to pick Maine over Vermont. The last line of the article sums up why.

https://wgme.com/news/offbeat/vermon...ing-for-coffee

You know, public nudity is legal in many states - including Maine.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:15 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You know, public nudity is legal in many states - including Maine.
Which is a horror, because there is one great Truth in American life: The people most willing to take off their clothes are the last people who should.

Seriously. There should be a minimum height-to-weight ratio, along with regulations about shaving your back before losing your shirt.

This is a Public Safety issue. I shouldn't have to risk my eyes bleeding when I go for a coffee.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The people most willing to take off their clothes are the last people who should.
You're right. The people I've seen most willing to do this are 70+ year old men.

It ain't the body builders, folks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area