Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalkayaker View Post
I recently had the immense pleasure to work with and hire Nathan Hebert to build a small house for me. If you are looking for an honest, trustworthy and extremely knowledgeable local builder, he IS THE person to hire without question. I have been in four other homes, in Maine, that he and his family built and saw the massive beams and attention to detail and decided to hire him when my circumstances permitted. He spent a great deal of time talking about plans and different options available to maximize the space that I had. He was very sensitive to my limited budget and took me shopping to various lumber and wholesale places for great discounts on insulation, lumber and more. There isn't an aspect of building that he isn't experience with and / or knowledgeable. He helped me keep track of all expenses to keep within my budget. He and his family worked from early a.m. to dinner time and many times past that to meet my deadline of needing to vacate my apartment before the next month's rent was due. Nathan is the most honest builder I have hired. No question is too elementary and he is incredibly gracious and kind. He customed built my house and it is absolutely gorgeous. He superpassed my expectations my miles! Nathan has taught me how to use my own power tools to do smaller projects at my new home. He is skilled with large tractors, and all the power tools PLEASE give Nathan a call. And I will be glad to converse with you if you need a recommendation.
I was just curious if Nathan Hebert did the land clearing, and plumbing, electricity wiring inside your house
too? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:08 AM

91 posts, read 103,026 times
Hebert Construction Services LLC

http://www.hebertconstructionllc.com

54 Sunny Meadow Ln Garland, Maine 04939
(207) 270-1975
nathanjhebert@gmail.com

Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thu333 View Post
I was just curious if Nathan Hebert did the land clearing, and plumbing, electricity wiring inside your house
too? Thanks.
I believe that he did it all.

Maybe we can get Kathy to post some photos of her new house.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
He is the kind of people/businesses we need. Buy local as much as possible, wherever it is you live.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:02 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I believe that he did it all.

Maybe we can get Kathy to post some photos of her new house.
That's wonderful to hear. I wonder if he would venture into Washington County to do work.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
That's wonderful to hear. I wonder if he would venture into Washington County to do work.
Contact him and see.

Something to keep in mind is that locally harvested lumber has not been kiln-dried, inspected, graded, and stamped. In most municipalities, the building code requires that all lumber must be inspected and stamped.

So if you plan to use locally harvested lumber in construction, you may need to select a municipality that is okay with ungraded lumber.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
FWIW..... The above usually does not apply to non-structural wood products, like trim. The code intention is for structural lumber to meet a minimum standard.

Here a good and recent discussion amongst mostly inspectors of this matter, and options are described to use locally milled lumber. And in NC, for example, you can use locally milled lumber in a self-built home if you live in it for at least a year.

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com...-lumber.25077/

Honestly, looking a lot of #2 graded and marked lumber out there at a lot of lumber suppliers, grading is not a high bar to meet!

Old 02-14-2021, 10:28 AM

I have known people who ran into snags with their building inspectors over this topic. It is something that needs to be kept in mind.

My house is steel, so it was never an issue.

One of the benefits of living in an unorganized township [UT] is that our township has no tax revenue to hire any building inspectors.

When I got my building permit from LURC they included a form for me to sign, a certificate of completion and self-inspection. I was not required to hire any third-party inspector to inspect my home.

One of my neighbors recently built an outhouse. He hired a soil-scientist / septic design engineer to properly site his outhouse and to specify the exact depth the hole needs to be. Then after the work was complete he hired a health inspector from some other municipality to come here to inspect the depth of the hole [14 inches]. His new outhouse has an issued permit and it has been successfully inspected. As it turns out health inspectors around here spend around half of their time inspecting outhouses.

But, if you decide to settle in an organized town [with its higher taxes and municipal employees] then you may need to comply with a building inspector.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: