Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2024, 02:17 AM

424 posts, read 187,132 times

Advertisements

I had some business in Annapolis so I booked myself into a Motel 6 somewhere between DC and Baltimore. I had 4 days to take a look around in the state so I tried to make the best of my short stay. I spent an afternoon and a night in Baltimore too. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The inner harbor was pretty nice with a great vibe with good live music at night.

The arhitecture in the whole city is beautiful albeith run-down in a lot of areas. With the rowhouses, the city has a historic British feel. I ventured well into the belly of the city. Drove and walked around in pretty seedy places, I was well dressed too. It might be just how I carry myself and the fact I'm not someone that gets easily scared but I honestly had not a single problem in any part of the city. Even in parts of the ghettos all I met was curiousity from the locals, casual jokes, timid and even polite approaches. No hostility at all. It was about 90 degrees and the streets were packed. I got the feeling that you really have to do something crazy stupid to get into trouble there (and I'm sure people do crazy stupid things). Where I'm from in Eastern Europe it's much easier to get into a conflict at night in a packed street, although situations never really escalate there but people are generally more rude. Here in Baltimore people were polite to me, but that applies to Americans as a whole everywhere I go. People are much more open and approachable compared to Europeans who are cold in comparison with the exception of Southern Europe like Italy.

For me Baltimore had that old-school Taxidriver movie kinda vibe. Very seedy in an exciting way that you can't find in the 2010s overcommercialized NYC anymore (a city I have always found sterile, pretentious and boring). I liked that even some of the old neon signs are preserved that is such a unique American thing and other cities just let those cool neons replaced with the eyebleeding led lights. My favourite city in the US is still New Orleans (the historic French Quarter and Garden District areas). There's no other place in the world like that city.

All around, I found Maryland as a state to be incredibly nice. Small towns are magical and picturesque, the nature is beautiful and people are really friendly and welcoming everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

11,387 posts, read 9,306,180 times
It's always nice to read positive reviews of this city which I feel is very underrated. I personally love it here.

Thanks for the report! Very interesting to read your comparisons.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,405,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
I had some business in Annapolis so I booked myself into a Motel 6 somewhere between DC and Baltimore. I had 4 days to take a look around in the state so I tried to make the best of my short stay. I spent an afternoon and a night in Baltimore too. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The inner harbor was pretty nice with a great vibe with good live music at night.

The arhitecture in the whole city is beautiful albeith run-down in a lot of areas. With the rowhouses, the city has a historic British feel. I ventured well into the belly of the city. Drove and walked around in pretty seedy places, I was well dressed too. It might be just how I carry myself and the fact I'm not someone that gets easily scared but I honestly had not a single problem in any part of the city. Even in parts of the ghettos all I met was curiousity from the locals, casual jokes, timid and even polite approaches. No hostility at all. It was about 90 degrees and the streets were packed. I got the feeling that you really have to do something crazy stupid to get into trouble there (and I'm sure people do crazy stupid things). Where I'm from in Eastern Europe it's much easier to get into a conflict at night in a packed street, although situations never really escalate there but people are generally more rude. Here in Baltimore people were polite to me, but that applies to Americans as a whole everywhere I go. People are much more open and approachable compared to Europeans who are cold in comparison with the exception of Southern Europe like Italy.

For me Baltimore had that old-school Taxidriver movie kinda vibe. Very seedy in an exciting way that you can't find in the 2010s overcommercialized NYC anymore (a city I have always found sterile, pretentious and boring). I liked that even some of the old neon signs are preserved that is such a unique American thing and other cities just let those cool neons replaced with the eyebleeding led lights. My favourite city in the US is still New Orleans (the historic French Quarter and Garden District areas). There's no other place in the world like that city.

All around, I found Maryland as a state to be incredibly nice. Small towns are magical and picturesque, the nature is beautiful and people are really friendly and welcoming everywhere.
"Are you talking to me?!" man havent heard the Taxi Driver reference to describe Baltimore.. Maybe you were on Baltimore Street from the west to the east side...At any rate... glad you enjoyed the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore