Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Baltimore more of an Internationally influential city or a Nationally influential city?
Baltimore is more of an Internationally influential city (influence/reach felt globally/around the world) 2 3.08%
Baltimore is more of a Nationally influential city (its influence is generally limited to the USA and its territories) 58 89.23%
Both / Other - please include a response 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:56 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times

Advertisements

Pretty straight-forward poll and prompt:

In your opinion, do you view Baltimore as an internationally influential city (influence and reach globally/around the world), or more of a nationally influential city (influence and reach generally limited to the borders of the USA and its territories)

Define Baltimore however you wish: ~600k city proper, ~2.3 million urban area, ~3 million MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 10:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Pretty straight-forward poll and prompt:

In your opinion, do you view Baltimore as an internationally influential city (influence and reach globally/around the world), or more of a nationally influential city (influence and reach generally limited to the borders of the USA and its territories)

Define Baltimore however you wish: ~600k city proper, ~2.3 million urban area, ~3 million MSA.
National, In What way does Baltimore have International influence with the Capital sitting right there? John Hopkins University??

I'd Argue that although famous Nationwide, Baltimore doesn't actually carry much influence in the Midwest, Southeast or Western half of the country. It's More A Regional City for the North East or Mid Atlantic

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 01-10-2024 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-10-2024, 10:13 PM

420 posts, read 219,522 times
I'm sure many people in my country haven't even heard of Baltimore, that's how you know it's irrelevent, apart from USA and maybe Canada.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:16 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
National, In What way does Baltimore have International influence with the Capital sitting right there? John Hopkins University??

I'd Argue that although famous Nationwide, Baltimore doesn't actually carry much influence in the Midwest, Southeast or Western half of the country. It's More A Regional City for the North East or Mid Atlantic
Here is a cursory summary of the factors comprising Baltimore's influence: Not just Johns Hopkins (the major research university, as well as the globally-influential health system and medical research facility with which 39 Nobel prize laureates have been affiliated) as you mentioned, but also the base of operations for T. Rowe Price (a global investment advisory firm with over 5,000 employees in Baltimore and 16 international offices serving clients in 47 countries), the National Aquarium (one of the world's largest), BWI (22nd busiest airport in the USA, with 14 direct international connections including London, Frankfurt and many Central American and Carribean cities, as well as 67 direct domestic connections), McCormick seasonings - world's largest producer of spices and seasonings was founded and based in Baltimore, the Inner Harbor, sports, celebrities, history as a major port of entry for immigrants entering the USA beginning in the 1600's, the Port of Baltimore is still very important in transatlantic/international trade particularly for the auto and coal industries, headquarters of Constellation Energy-one of the largest electricity and gas utilities/producers in the USA (especially nuclear power).

History: Edgar Allen Poe (world renowned famous writer and poet), national capital of the USA during the Revolutionary War, nearby U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, the Baltimore World Trade Center - Baltimore is one of 16 charter members of the World Trade Centers Association, nearby University of Maryland, the Star Spangled Banner (our national anthem -played and heard around the world) composed by Francis Scott Key following a hellacious battle to defend Fort McHenry in the Baltimore Harbor in the War of 1812 against England, numerous historical landmarks, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, hub of crabs/crab cakes, Old Bay, home of Babe Ruth and Michael Phelps (world's most decorated Olympic athlete of all time), sister cities with Kawasaki Japan, Rotterdam Netherlands, Odesa Ukraine, Alexandria Egypt, also: The Wire, home of Eugene Tooms, far too many famous people from Baltimore to even begin to fully list, among many other attributes (one of the most urban/walkable and iconic urban cities in the USA)

Last edited by g500; 01-10-2024 at 11:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2024, 11:36 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Baltimore is neither nationally or internationally relevant.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:40 PM

441 posts, read 227,049 times
neither lmao. When you ask most people about Baltimore, they bring up The Wire, not a good luck. Most people don't even bring up Baltimore when talking about the northeast megalopolis. DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, don't hear Baltimore too much.

John Hopkins is a top notch university tho.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Baltimore is neither nationally or internationally relevant.
Surely you cannot be serious... Baltimore was one the largest and most prominent cities throughout the nation's entire history, even before the United States had even yet existed, and still today it anchors the 20th largest metro area (and 20th largest urban area) in the nation. And you contend it does not even merit national relevance...??? I thought this board was supposed to be a place of intellectual honesty.

Last edited by g500; 01-11-2024 at 12:18 AM..

Old 01-11-2024, 12:17 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
It's relevant if you want to talk about homicide rates and Old Bay. Otherwise? Yeah, it's seen better days.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:43 AM

I think we are letting reputation (i.e. that which is sensationalized/portrayed/hyped up in the media) override the underlying fundamentals here somewhat. True that Baltimore as a legacy city has faced urban blight and crime, this does not represent the entire story.

How should we regard Baltimore's unparalleled historical legacy, major attractions/amenities, international airport/logistics, diversified economy/industries, major educational/medical/governmental/cultural institutions, unique cultural identity, geography with the Chesapeake Bay with its countless piers/shipyards/seaports, and impact as the main hub of its state and its greater metro region of 3 million...? These are seemingly valuable considerations.

Sure the nation's capital is nearby, but they are separate distinct entities after all. I can agree Baltimore suffers from being overshadowed. But to be completely written-off as merely a crime statistic?

Old 01-11-2024, 03:26 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
I mean I love Baltimore, just like I love Oakland. Lots of places have historical charm and have hip and cool spots to check out, but it's 2024 and pretending that places don't have serious issues with crime seems kinda silly/disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore