Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:22 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Most places elect the same types of politicians because the politicians reflect the demographics they serve. In genuine politically mixed areas you do get a sense of variety and different views. Howard County has trended Democratic for decades but it occasionally elects a Republican county executive because it has a large enough base of independent voters open to different parties.

Baltimore is always handicapped by that its core constituencies are 1) black urban residents and 2) white urban residents. The former reflects traditional urban big machine Democratic politics with all the internal corruptions that come with it (for all of Baltimore's current problem with corrupt politicians, it pales in comparison to the corruption you saw under the major Democratic machines you saw in Chicago or Philadelphia, and of course, New York). The latter, however, increasingly reflect a distinctly more progressive than liberal political viewpoint. This is a new urban form of Democratic politics emerging in many cities. The Soros-funded DAs, for example. Highly controversial outlook and as we see, are having distinct implications for how urban politics and policing are now being done. These two types of politics are exemplified in Nick Mosby representing 1) and Zeke Cohen representing 2).

It does mean that the voting demographics representing a more moderate governing approach willing to seek different, but still pragmatic, new solutions, isn't large enough to win anything more than a local council seat. Maria Miller would have been a very interesting gamble as a mayor with her extensive and impressive private sector background and offering a new approach to leading the city, but the urban white progressives wouldn't touch her because she's a rich white woman who lives in Guilford. And she's too moderate. And too willing to compromise (progressives hate compromise and seeking consensus). This same urban white progressive demographic also refused to support Sheila Dixon despite her previous record as an excellent hands-on mayor because of the gift card scandal and her cozy relationships with developers. Progressives never forgive nor are they tolerant.

Wes Moore is making a splash running for governor. I do wonder why he didn't first try his hand at Baltimore politics? HE could have been an unifying figure between the 1) and 2) demographics, as white urban progressives LOVE the articulate urbane black man regardless of any actual accomplishments, but Moore is also capable and intelligent enough to have broad appeal among the moderate minority.

But perhaps Moore is also intelligent enough to stay the heck away from Baltimore politics!
I agree with what you said above. I also think Wes Moore would have been a good Baltimore Mayor but ..again would he even want to cut his chops in the minors like Baltimore City which could sink your career with a riot, crime wave or the relocation of a major company versus running for a statewide office.. He seems to be choosing the later....I think Wes Moore and possibly Otis Rolley (though his dollars for bullets program was somewhat bizarre) would have been good pragmatic Mayors who know what they dont know and would be willing to put the right people in the right seats on the bus to get it going and avoid stocking it (at least not entirely) with friends and yes men/women whom may not be qualified. Professionals vs Politicos

Old 02-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
LOL...that guy... When he was on trial and turned it into a circus of sympathy with a standing ovation from the gallery...and got off.. That is what I think will happen to Mosely.. During that episode of the The Wire...The Federal Prosecutor accused the States Atty that he turned Sen. Davis into MLK on the stand and thus allowed him to get off by unknowingly turning him into a martyr... Classic.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:09 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
LOL...that guy... When he was on trial and turned it into a circus of sympathy with a standing ovation from the gallery...and got off.. That is what I think will happen to Mosely.. During that episode of the The Wire...The Federal Prosecutor accused the States Atty that he turned Sen. Davis into MLK on the stand and thus allowed him to get off by unknowingly turning him into a martyr... Classic.
I also think that will be what happens in Mosby's case.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I also think that will be what happens in Mosby's case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQv6KTfQow

@...I hit the corner of Mosher and Pennsy.. my pockets are bulging ... but the time I get to Roberts street@ he stands and shows empty pockets.

The best line.. @ If jury of my peers.. you all.. deem it right and truth for me to walk out here a right and justified man.. I aint going to lie.. I am going to do the same damn thing tomorrow and the day after that until they me lay out in March's funeral home and truck me out to Mt. Auburn@

That is Baltimore ...I am sure Mosby is watching

Old 02-08-2022, 10:48 AM

899 posts, read 540,114 times
https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2022/0...dministration/

High-level resignations shake the Scott administration

Posted last week in the Brew. Hmm. Interesting.

I enjoyed reading the comments. All 96 of them.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Well, Scott hasn't been arrested.........................yet, like some of the more recent mayors of Baltimore (Dixon and Pugh) did, so I guess he has at least that going for him!

Last edited by cjseliga; 02-08-2022 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-19-2022, 07:19 AM

Seems like a compromise has been reached for The Block

https://baltimorebrew.com/2022/02/18...olice-patrols/

Old 02-28-2022, 10:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
...major Democratic machines you saw in Chicago or Philadelphia, and of course, New York)
Not always a Democratic machine: In old Philadelphia it was a Republican machine. Democrats Joseph Clark and Richardson Dilworth cleaned it up circa 1950.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:48 PM

I got my Mayor Brandon Scott Public Works Calendar. I thought at one time they were going to discontinue it but I think folks like my elderly neighbor protested. She said @ All the taxes I pay.. I better get something for free@

On a related note, I see the cover shows a youthful Mayor Scott rolling out a recycling bin for a woman who appears older than him....nice photo. I noticed the bars on the window and doors on the homes behind them. I couldnt help but wonder if wrought iron bars and doors a sign of security issues or are they now just an architectural feature like formstone and marble steps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore