Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

01 (Pink Floyd Link)

I can remember when the NCR opened as a trail in the early 80's. There has been talk of extending it further south to where the Cockeysville Distillery was. I have biked that trail many times.

Last edited by Digger 68; 11-12-2017 at 07:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Brooks Robinson lived near the Alameda?
No, he bought a property and a house there and we got a cleanup contract. This would have been prior to 1976 or '77.

Last edited by Formbalto; 11-16-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Bengie's is still open in Middle River, Md, and claims to be the largest Drive-In theater in the USA.
Benji's is currently the oldest existing Drive-In in the United States still in business. I once lived within "watching distance". Saw a lot of movies at Benji's but the only movie I can actually remember watching is Boxcar Bertha.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:46 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formbalto View Post
No, he bought a property and a house there and we got a cleanup contract. This would have been prior to 1976 or '77.
Interesting. Do you remember the address? I'm just curious.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 17,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj;3509236You remember when now trendy Canton was a true blue-collar
neighborhood of small factories, a can company, waterfront oyster and vegetable packing houses, seed companies, tug boat piers, filthy harbor water, and a few greasy-spoon restaurants. [FONT="Times New Roman"
In the early 70s the neighborhood had about eight square blocks of its homes demolished to make way for an interstate to connect 95 and 83. The interstate never happened, but there are ramps for it on I-95 to this day.[/font]]
Are you talking about talking about Interstate Ave that runs from O'Donnell St to Boston St?

Old 03-28-2024, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 256 times
Default Baltimore Once Brought Music to My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
Awesome.

A lot of that stuff is from the 50s or 60s, before my time, but my mom always talked about riding the trolley. Still, I do remember a lot of these things:

Still happened the last time I was home!

This shows you how clueless I am -- I had no idea Romper Room was local! I definitely remember Duckpins for Dollars.

Yep -- this continued well into the 70s. The one dairy that delivered our milk was on Wilkens Avenue & Maiden Choice Lane -- it's now a Giant, a housing development, Charlestown Retirement home...Hard to believe that was a farm not too long ago.

Yep -- I remember it was just kind of a walkway around the water, and there was a wooden playground over by Rash Field. And that was pretty much it. Still, that memory of it is itself a big change from [URL="http://www.kilduffs.com/harbor_10_Baltimore_LightStreet_1900s_PC.jpg"]it used to look like[/URL]. For more old pix of the Inner Harbor, [URL="http://www.kilduffs.com/Harbor.html"]click here[/URL].

We used to get the News American. My grandparents got the Evening Sun. The Morning Sun was thought to be a little snooty.

I'd hate to be the guy who had to clean off the umpire's shoes!

Still eat at all of these three places when I'm back home! (And Cross Street Market, too.) But Gino's, alas, was bought out by KFC. And before Old Country Buffet, Horn & Horn was shoveling out the cheap bulk food to grandparents and their kids for a long time. I got sick at Horn & Horn many a time.

"Da best hear weeve for da löwest price in taown!"

And they tore it down...and he put it back up...and they tore it down...and he put it back up.

They should have left it! I do remember Kurt Schmoke saying he was "offended" by the use of the word "hon." Idiot.

I remember these back-ups from being a kid -- but I remember them from last year, too!

And thanks to Bob Irsay, there was no in the seats to get hurt.

Wow...half my family worked at GM. The other half at Beth Steel. And the other half in a hair salon.

My mother grew up there -- her, her 5 sisters and brothers, her parents, grandparents and uncle all in one little rowhouse, a block from the water. Everyone worked at Beth Steel. Now the house she lived in would sell for $700K.

Still do!

O!

And one more time for [URL="http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2007-08/31992699.jpg"]the man[/URL].

Still the one I wear.

From the outside it still looks like it's there.

And everytime the Blast scored, they'd play "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.

One of the best parts of going to the Harbor. You can actually still smell it...if you drive past their business park in Hunt Valley.

They used to come all the way out to my grandparent's place on the border between Southwest Baltimore and Arbutus. They still were going through Hampden before I moved in 2005.

Three of the kids from my high school band were in the Colts Band...three years after the Colts left town.

I still hear that phrase used.

First book of poetry I ever read was by Hyman Pressman. Kind of odd for a comptroller.

The whole block was called "Jewtown" -- not derogatory, either. It was simply an ethnic designation, the same way some people still use "Greektown" to refer to areas off Eastern Avenue. But I guess it sounded bad, so now it's "Corned Beef Row."

Yeah -- on the front lawn of Pimlico residents' homes! They'd charge you a pretty penny, too.

Well...even when I was little I thought that was pretty funny.

My method still works best.

The great thing about watching games in the 70s -- it seemed like they always won.

[URL="http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/balticolts/mayflower.jpg"]Saddest pic ever.[/URL] But a championship came back to Baltimore before it got to the Phony Ponies.

Ugh. They try selling them in Texas -- all claw meat!

Barf on DC!

That's why I thought it was the "Belair Witch Project."

And Oprah Winfrey on Channel 13!

I won free tickets to something or other because I called in with the correct answer to one of Johnny Walker's trivia questions on morning before school -- and when I got to school, three of my teachers asked, "Is that you I heard on Johnny Walker this morning?"

Also, for years 1300 AM used to play polka every Sunday morning. My mother always listened to it and tried to get me to dance.

Ah, Chuck Thompson. Go to war Miss Agnes!

OMG Your post "melted my heart" in its recap of Baltimore's best of people, places, and events. Does anyone still have the record album commemorating the 1966 Orioles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore