Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,252 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house, and I noticed that there are a lot of NICE and newly renovated houses in Dundalk. It appears as if there are some organizations looking to transform the reputation and bring more buyers to the area. I already know about the crime in some parts and plan to avoid looking at houses in those areas. My biggest concern is the smell from the sewage treatment plant. I don't want to be in my home smelling raw sewage, but i can tolerate a little smell every so often. Someone who currently lives there-- how bad is it? Tolerable? Constant? Strong?

I'm also concerned that this will affect resale value if i ever need to move again.

Thanks for your honesty and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 04:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clewgurl16 View Post
I'm looking to buy a house, and I noticed that there are a lot of NICE and newly renovated houses in Dundalk.
It appears as if there are some organizations looking to transform the reputation and bring more buyers to the area.
Aww. You're so upbeat and positive I bet you could get a job writing about it all.

Quote:
I already know about the crime in some parts and plan to avoid looking at houses in those areas.
My biggest concern is the smell from the sewage treatment plant.
I don't want to be in my home smelling raw sewage, but i can tolerate a little smell every so often.
Not sure if it's true but ... I was once told that before Beth Steel stopped some process they once did
that the locals never really noticed any odor from the treatment plant.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
The odor in the summer months is horrendous. I used to work in Dundalk and couldn’t wait to get out of there. Nowhere in east Baltimore County would I invest in real estate. Drugs, crime are rampant.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Dundalk has the potential to clean itself up and become nicer, but its similar to an average Chevrolet car model as opposed to a more upscale model that more people are looking for. As it is, it's Baltimore's most urban feeling suburb with a mix of rowhouses and prewar single-family homes, along with a few postwar neighborhoods. The roads that aren't in the cleanest of shape, and rats are sometime a problem. It's waterfront isn't as impressive as you might expect with a few small marinas, a huge port, and that large vacant Sparrows Point site that was once home to Bethlehem Steel. It has a lot of work to do to bring up its quality, but unlike many markets, it's pretty affordable. It's easy to find a single family home for under $200K (about four years annual salary for the average worker), and the average monthly rent is around a grand, with top of the line homes under $400K. Downtown isn't too far, using either Holabird/Wise Ave or Broening Hwy/Keith Ave. over to I-95 and going through to the tunnel, and rush hour traffic to downtown even is a piece of cake for the most part. There's even CityLink transit service along Dundalk Ave. for those who don't like a car, but due to the relatively low traffic and most homes having a driveway, I'd still live with a car. Public schools are so-so, but better than those in the city. A properly redeveloped Sparrows Point would do wonders though, and it's a shame Baltimore is where it is at as Sparrows Point could have been an HQ2 contender, with its location at the mouth of the Patapsco River.

Lots of housing is better suited for singles or couples with no kids or infants only, as many are less than 1,000 sq. ft and are in postage stamp-sized lots. There's a decent bakery next to the diner at Holabird/Merritt Blvd and some new restaurants like Texas Roadhouse, Chili's, and others, and many places where for most basic errands you can walk to a drug store, pizzeria, day care center, and a post office, but you'll have to head to White Marsh, Towson, or parts of Anne Arundel County for the more upscale activities. I do like Squire's for Italian food though when my mother would stop there growing up. But Dundalk seems to preserve some of the kitsch that many places no longer have, including a bowling alley and an roller skating rink, and of course not being part of the City helps a bit with regards to leadership. It's a little rough around the edges, but my late grandfather lived there from around WWII up until his death in 2012 in Eastpoint at the northern edge of Dundalk.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 PM

16 posts, read 28,595 times
Has Dundalk changed for the better in the past five years?

Old 08-31-2022, 05:06 AM

7 posts, read 4,378 times
few of us from uk...were working in office at shipyard in 1986

we were living in hidden cove apts (Dundalk ) at the time

as this was our first taste of living / working in the USA

we didnt think it was all that bad

Old 09-06-2022, 07:17 AM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
The odor is pretty bad. But in my experience I never noticed it past German Hill. I’d just avoid the immediate area near the eggs. And you’ll mostly just smell it driving by.

That said — as an eastern BaCo resident most my life, I have a pretty bad mindset when it comes to Dundalk. Synonymous with drugs and an oft-maligned “white trash” ethos. As a fellow prospective home buyer, I also find most of the neighborhoods just too damn compressed.

I do however drive around the area during Halloween and Christmas. A lot of good decorations to look at! And the Fire stations Christmas village train display is a yearly tradition.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:39 PM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Dundalk is more/less and industrial and very blue colar area. I'm going to be very honest with you and I"m not trying to come off insulting to anyone etc, however, the Dundalk area is known to be more/less poor and uneducated white trash.

In terms of home value, being the fact of where it is will limit the value regardless, home prices have huge variations based on location. The "types" of people that buy/move to Dundalk don't have "Timmonium" money etc, so you can only ask so much.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:17 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
The odor is pretty bad. But in my experience I never noticed it past German Hill. I’d just avoid the immediate area near the eggs. And you’ll mostly just smell it driving by.

That said — as an eastern BaCo resident most my life, I have a pretty bad mindset when it comes to Dundalk. Synonymous with drugs and an oft-maligned “white trash” ethos. As a fellow prospective home buyer, I also find most of the neighborhoods just too damn compressed.

I do however drive around the area during Halloween and Christmas. A lot of good decorations to look at! And the Fire stations Christmas village train display is a yearly tradition.
Yes, the Wise Avenue Volunteer Fire Company's train layout and Christmas display is one of the best in the state.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:35 AM

1,265 posts, read 444,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift110 View Post
Has Dundalk changed for the better in the past five years?
Better hahaha….high crime, shootings, drug use, hookers and panhandlers maybe better from where you came from….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore