Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2024, 08:38 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

More collateral damage from Boeing's problems among other issues.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/25/b...rts/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Southwest says it has nothing to do with Boeing, but the article focuses on Boeing.

The Boeing news was interesting, but should have been in a separate article, I think.

Quote:
However, in an interview later Thursday on CNBC, Jordan said that the decision to cut service to those four airports would have been made in attempt to improve financial results and would been done with or without the delivery issues with Boeing.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,079,686 times
SWA had to make a business decision to 'stop-the-bleeding'. (Via methods within their control)

They had a very bad reporting quarter due to many issues. (Increased operational costs (including new wage agreements, fuel, insurance... Lots of inflation and covid induced pain (legitimate and not)), Hawaii wildfire and runway disruptions, and of course Boeing slicing a huge bite out of delivery of replacement aircraft.)

Something had to go, and most costly and least revenue productive locations will be axed due to poor financial performance.

Running an airline, with USA government and every municipality (port district owned airports) continually meddling and raiding your costs. Plus meeting union demands while scheduling and serving cry baby consumers could torpedo the best laid plans.

Thank goodness for UAL and DAL huge stock gains in the last week. Cash out the gift horse, to resuscitate the infirmed. (Or at least to cover the wound).

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Southwest's situation with Boeing is the very definition of putting all one's eggs in one basket. Granted that there are a lot of advantages to operating a single aircraft type, but the drawbacks are becoming more and more apparent. I think they'd find a lot of advantages in introducing the A220 into their fleet.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Southwest says it has nothing to do with Boeing, but the article focuses on Boeing.

The Boeing news was interesting, but should have been in a separate article, I think.
Well they would wouldn't they? What would you have SWA come out and say?

Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
SWA needs to put an add on Craigslist.

Wanted... Low hour 737'configured for passengers (Max 8 only bought at firesale discount)

Old Today, 12:35 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The truth? Southwest buys a lot of Boeing planes. I'd think they've earned the right to speak frankly.

If those routes were truly revenue generating, they wouldn't be gone.

Old Today, 12:38 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
AA CEO: American Airlines CEO Robert Isom extolled Brazilian aircraft maker Embraer and excoriated Boeing on the carrier’s earnings call Thursday.

“I want to give a shout out to Embraer,” Isom said. “They have delivered day in and day out. The rest of the industry could learn a lot from them.”

As for Boeing, Isom declared “I’ve talked to everyone at Boeing that I can possibly address. The message is the same: Get your act together.

SWA CEO: “Fix the culture, whatever is at work here,” Jordan says. “We all need Boeing stronger two years from now, five years from now, 10 years from now. And that takes precedent over delivery delays. Boeing needs to become a better company – and the deliveries will follow that.”

Old Today, 07:06 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Time for SWA to start assigning seats when you purchase travel.

Old Today, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Time for SWA to start assigning seats when you purchase travel.
^^^^^^^

As a million miler SWA priority flier (100+ routes/ year). I certainly hope they NEVER stoop to assigning seats.

As a share holder, aircraft time operational in the air is the only time revenue is being generated. SWA has the lowest turn times in the industry. I hope they can improve on that! Less time hunting for seats and stashing huge overhead bags.

I really appreciate the freedom to get up and move when the reason exists to do so. Axe murderer, stalker, sex offender, behemoth, BO... Very convenient to politely get up and leave while there are still seats remaining.

But the SWA penny pinchers were eyeing the revenue generated by legacies (and budget) competitors selling 'upgrade' seat selection. $3b

Boarding process on legacy carriers is god awful slow and inefficient.

Common comment... "If we were on SWA, we'd be airborne by now" (happens to be true)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation