Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 09:20 AM

143 posts, read 85,854 times

Advertisements

Flying is a PITA nowadays.

I remember enjoying it when I was a kid. It felt like an adventure, but as an adult who flies frequently for work and occasionally for leisure, it's just a hassle.

I was on a 13 hour flight overseas recently, and the guy behind me was mad because I reclined my seat even though I did so gradually. Then I had to disturb 2 sleeping passengers next to me to go to the bathroom (I had a window seat). There wasn't enough room to get around them without waking them. Fortunately, they were nice about it.

Unfortunately, I flew during COVID for work, and that was just awful. Airline staff and flight attendants were MEAN. My job paid for my airfare, but there's no way I would have paid my own hard earned money to experience flight attendants threatening an entire airplane over the mask thing. On one flight, a flight attendant said over the loudspeaker "IF WE SEE YOU WITHOUT A MASK, WE WON'T WARN YOU. WE'LL JUST THROW YOU OFF THE PLANE." On another flight, a flight attendant went on the loudspeaker and threatened to arrest anyone not wearing a mask. I overheard the guy sitting next to me tell his wife "How? She's not a cop."

Even though it's slow, I enjoyed riding Amtrak a few years ago. The seats were big and there was plenty of leg room, the staff didn't have an attitude, and it was so quick and easy to get on and off. That was pleasant.

Last edited by wangchin213; 04-28-2024 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,905,797 times
Being an oldster back in era of the iconic Boeing 707 and Pan Am I can recall when economy seats had leg room and were comfortable even on international. Pan Am even gave you a small carry on tote bag with the company logo. And doing a longer distance domestic you got a free meal and beverage. Going back to the 50’s kids were invited up to the cockpit to meet the captain. You got a plastic pilots wings you could pin on your shirt.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Being an oldster back in era of the iconic Boeing 707 and Pan Am I can recall when economy seats had leg room and were comfortable even on international. Pan Am even gave you a small carry on tote bag with the company logo. And doing a longer distance domestic you got a free meal and beverage. Going back to the 50’s kids were invited up to the cockpit to meet the captain. You got a plastic pilots wings you could pin on your shirt.
Still happens.

A kid last week had the whole garb (a pilot suit and hat + a rollerbag with "Air Crew" label). He got to gaze in the cockpit during boarding, but not sure if they seated him (I've seen them do that) All the kids got shiny plastic 'wings'

Our kids got to enter the 747-100 cockpits during boarding (international flights, usually in Asia),They also got to play and sleep in the crew qtrs (upper deck)

Intl still serve meals, and I think over 5 hr domestic. We got meals on most our inter europe and asia flights this yr.

Legroom... it's ok if you're under 17"wide and under 6' tall, (Frontier, Alliance, Spirit excluded) People were smaller when you were a kid.

Flying is still an adventure for me (4 flights tomorrow). I'm disappointed when we land, as I like GOING, including the 18hr direct flights USA>SIN

Old Today, 04:54 AM

4,198 posts, read 2,518,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My first flight was on an Eastern Airlines DC-3. We kids would wear a coat and tie. Everyone's business wasn't hanging out. Of course, back then the cabin was filled with cigarette smoke. These days, I will drive if it's a two day drive or less.

Old Today, 05:37 AM

17,348 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Does anyone consider their own "size" when flying 30 years ago? Most people were smaller so if the seats were the same size then you would have more room!

There are bigger seats on the plane, first class is up front! Most planes today have TVs with as much entertainment as you have at home! Didn't have that 20 years ago.

Flying is fine, think about it: flying across the country for a few hundred bucks in 4-5 hours! You likely couldn't drive that cheap and it would take 5X longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation