Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 01:31 PM

4,613 posts, read 2,753,519 times

Advertisements

The truth of the matter is that if you want to have the best lighting, both for driving and for avoiding glare, four round headlights with replaceable bulbs are the gold standard. All the rest is styling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 03:51 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,748,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The truth of the matter is that if you want to have the best lighting, both for driving and for avoiding glare, four round headlights with replaceable bulbs are the gold standard. All the rest is styling.

Definitely "Makes Sense To Me" but what else is new?

Far too many "Changes / Upgrades" on newer vehicles are for "Styling."

Old 05-10-2024, 05:42 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,186,347 times
The technical advantage of 4 headlights is that the low beam/high beam lights can be focused on the low beam filament, with the high beam filament in them somewhat compromised, while the high beam only lamps are focused on the high beam filament. With just 2 headlights (or one like some bikes) you have to pick one filament, or adopt a compromise focus.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:09 PM

11,791 posts, read 6,162,527 times
Because modern car designers are idiots who like fads and avant garde junk over what has worked prefectly for eons.

I loathe modern car styling and detailing. Every once in a while I see a gem. It is rare.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:05 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,037,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Because modern car designers are idiots who like fads and avant garde junk over what has worked prefectly for eons.

I loathe modern car styling and detailing. Every once in a while I see a gem. It is rare.
Fins were fads.

Have you seen some of the awful bloated designs from certain eras? The current era has no monopoly on poor design choices.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:43 AM

3,823 posts, read 2,347,746 times
Quote:

And they were either ultra dim, or they were very hot (halogens). Projector headlights can have much better beam patterns allowing more light in a more controlled manner (unless they are cheap Chinese copies).

And the bulbs ARE replaceable separately.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 1,777,357 times
I've always liked separate high & low beams. I could set the high beams to project a bit farther down the road. I used to get brighter bulbs for the high beams too. That helped quite a bit. On coming drivers didn't like them so much. I learned to be quick on the dimmer switch. On the '22 Honda Passport we have the fog lights are under the headlights and come on automatically lighting up the space between the front of the car and where the headlights start. High beams are pretty bright too. The car switches to low beams automatically as well.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:09 PM

30,357 posts, read 23,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If anything that makes sense as SUV's and trucks get higher. We all complain about the headlights from a big truck pulling in behind us blinding us. Now manufacturers are dropping the lights down.

The new traverse has a split headlight where the DRL and turn signal LED is up high, and the headlight is lower down

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/07/20...gged-z71-trim/
This is great to read. I can't stand truck headlights. They are right in your face, and they are way too bright. It's impossible to see anything at all until they pass, especially if they decide to put a light bar (whatever it is) in between the already too bright headlights.

When I drive at night, I'm always saying, "(Censored)! Turn off your football stadium lights!"

It's obnoxious, and affects other drivers. I seriously cannot see a thing until they finally pass. (I mean 2 lane roads, they're driving towards me.)

Old Today, 06:27 AM

4,613 posts, read 2,753,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And they were either ultra dim,....

Which is why I specified "replaceable bulbs" - sealed-beams don't qualify.

Basically the stylists design how the headlights are going to look from the outside, then the lighting engineers try to make them work and comply to standards. Backwards in my opinion.

There are so many things wrong with current automobile lighting I just don't even want to get started.

Old Today, 08:32 AM

3,823 posts, read 2,347,746 times
Quote:
Basically the stylists design how the headlights are going to look from the outside, then the lighting engineers try to make them work and comply to standards. Backwards in my opinion.

The headlight surrounds are designed by stylists, but the bulbs are not and are very much the same between most modern cars. The housings no longer have to have lenses in them, so the styling of them has zero bearing on output or pattern. You do realize that, correct?

Most modern cars use these housings:

with this type of replaceable bulb (halogen, HID, or LED can all be used with those housings)

But the overall surround can be styled like anything (these are all OEM) and not affect light output or bulb replacement:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive