Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:46 AM

7,208 posts, read 9,360,307 times

Advertisements

FYI: Here is what a Subaru CVT looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDZ...hannel=IDoCars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 08:21 AM

10,598 posts, read 7,825,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
FYI: Here is what a Subaru CVT looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDZ...hannel=IDoCars
A 30 minute video? I'm assuming it confirms your concern that they're not reliable.

If that's the case, less so than any other make with CVTs? That's what all automakers are going to now, I believe, for better MPG.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:42 AM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
CVT has had issues in the past, some brands like Nissan have had it worse than others.

A junk yard teardown doesn't really tell you much as you don't know where it came out of/ what was the source. Did this car get dumped in a lake? Did the owner bury it in 3 feet of mud and try to drive it out for 2 hours? Was a kid doing donuts on asphalt in his mom's car?

Old 05-08-2024, 09:25 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,318,087 times
Had an 09 STI. LOVED IT. Wish I kept it (traded it in for a GT350, and actually liked the STI better).
Still have a 11' Outback Limited 3.6R (passed down to the child).

Right now considering an Outback Onyx XT as a 2nd car. Comparing that against the CX50 Turbo Meridian. Both are about the same price (CX50 a few thousand more). Both have pro/cons. For me - the Outback is actually faster, more rugged, and full size spare. The CX50 is much more refined and NOT CVT. As a second car - it seems the ruggedness may win out.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:15 AM

24,043 posts, read 15,150,471 times
I loved my VW bus so we bought a Dasher. The first year it was at the dealer more than at our house. When we traded it for a Ford the money guy said " it's easier to get rid of the clap than a Dasher. We had 2 Ford LTDs, just alike. When one got a rust spot, 6 months later the other did, same place. When the headliner fell down, 6 months later same thing in the other car. We had various other cars.

Then we got a Subaru. The entire family drives Subarus so I guess we are a cult. We pass them along. When we get a new one, we give the old one to DD. She gives her 20 year old one to somebody else. Dil, her mom, DD and her DH and their 2 grown kids, plus her in laws Subarus. One still has a Kerry sign on it. DD will not drive it. Son put lots of miles on his before he got electric Vw.

We have an Outback. It's a tad big for my preference. Maybe I'll give it to DIL and get another VW bus when they come to the USA. We drive those cars for years and have never had any trouble. They currently have a battery issue, but we never notice. The dealer service dept just puts a new one in when we get the oil changed. No charge.

Old 05-08-2024, 02:01 PM

23,413 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
The Saab effect. It’s quirky and weird and goofy enough that Barney would drive it. They are great for what they re designed to do, which is haul liberals. Joking aside, I don’t know how anyone can live with that goofy styling Subarus have.
Goofy? Guess we all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless you're recalling those old Brats with the little seats in the bed can't say I'd agree they look goofy. IMHO, Outbacks in particular have always seemed pretty sleek and trim as far as wagons go. In general, Subarus don't seem to have weird lumps, exaggerated contours, bulging or aggressive fenders, fins, grilles, lights, no rumps sticking up in the air, no "what-the-heck-is-that-supposed-to-do?"s.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-08-2024 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2024, 02:08 PM

10,598 posts, read 7,825,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Goofy? Guess we all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
Yeah, I think his take is odd. Outback, Forester and Crosstrek all look pretty good to me.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:20 PM

45,553 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yeah, I think his take is odd. Outback, Forester and Crosstrek all look pretty good to me.
Actually those classes of vehicles from all the manufacturers look similar. They all are trying to hit the same markers for drag coefficient, general style, mileage, whatever.

That holds true for cars and even trucks.

I saw something today I thought was a Forester. It wasn't (don't remember what it was) but had the general outline and even the rear hatch window visor.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:35 PM

23,413 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually those classes of vehicles from all the manufacturers look similar. They all are trying to hit the same markers for drag coefficient, general style, mileage, whatever.

That holds true for cars and even trucks.

I saw something today I thought was a Forester. It wasn't (don't remember what it was) but had the general outline and even the rear hatch window visor.
So many little SUV/crossover things have those rear window visors. Not sure if they're supposed to decrease drag, disrupt dust settling, shade or reduce glare for cameras, or what. All I know is they prevent drive through car washes from getting that window clean and gas station window squeegees don't fit underneath.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:15 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,259,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I had a Subaru Forester that I kept for 4 or 5 years. It was dependable and very basic, even though it was the highest trim level.

The 4-cylinder 2.5 liter engine was under powered, the boxer engine was noisy, I didn't like the DCT, the headlights weren't very good, and the brakes were barely adequate. But it had good visibility and was always serviceable.

My main complaint was the underpowered engine. So I traded it for an Audi SQ5, V6 with turbocharger. Powerful engine and very smooth. But it costs twice what the Forester did.
I had a new 2009 Forester MT (no turbo, just a 170 HP engine, plus manual transmission). I bought it to give to my wife as a present, but she didn't like the seats at all, specially the passenger front seat that's too close to the floor and can't be elevated. She complained of terrible backache if driving or riding in the Forester more than 30 minutes. I didn't mind it too much, except for the underpowered engine. I had to downshift whenever I passed other vehicles on the road driving around 55 MPH, and even so I had to make sure that there was lots of room ahead for me to pass.

Anyway, I was happy enough for not buying one with a turbo because just about that time the turbos used by Subaru started failing (there was a recall or something like that to take care of the problem), but I got scared about the head gasket problems creeping into the 2009 models. In 2010 or maybe 2011 the Forrester had about 16,000 miles and I happened to drive by a local Ford dealership where saw a used 2010 RAV4 V6, that still was under its warranty (somewhere close or over 20,000 miles. I asked a salesperson if I could drive the RAV4 with my wife. For some reason, she liked the RAV4 from that moment on, so I traded the Forester for it, and handed the key to my wife She loves her RAV4 so much that now, May 2024, as I am going to buy a medium-size truck she likes she does not want to trade-in the RAV4. It means that she will have a 2023 Tacoma, and the RV4 as a backup

I don't plan to buy another Subaru automobile again. The same can be said for the 2024 Tacoma with the 4-cylinder turbo engine, nor the Tundra with the smaller turbo engines. These are not only overpriced, but in my view won't be a reliable as the 2022-23 engines. Also, the undercarriage is not as well protected as in previous years when metal plates were used to shield the engine. Finally, no CVT of any kind for me, regardless of vehicle brand and model. The only thing interesting about Subaru automobiles is the AWD system, MINUS the engine and CVT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive