Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 01:49 PM

13,072 posts, read 9,598,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You should try the Pilot Sport 4S.. the grip on them is insane.

MXM4 have a harder rubber and are designed to really stop EV's from chewing away at tires.
I'm sure it's a good tire, but it's a summer tire. It's not supposed to be used in temperatures below 40 degrees. Chevrolet issued a warning a few years ago (when I still had a Corvette) that Corvettes with stock summer tires shouldn't even be moved on the lot in cold weather, let alone be driven on the road. In cold temperatures, pieces of rubber have been known to break off.

My Audi SQ5, which is a sporty SUV/crossover, came with Michelin Latitude Sport III tires, and in cold weather did not handle well. I was very careful driving the car in cold weather and couldn't be driven in our occasional snow. Here, we don't switch to snow tires (no need to, but it does get quite cold) so an all-season tire is needed. At 22,000 miles, when the Latitudes wore to the wear bars, I replaced them with Michelin Cross Climate 2. They're great for cornering, regular driving, and even good in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 01:54 PM

13,072 posts, read 9,598,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Thanks again! Well, run flats are definitely not as "perfect" as they sounded. I think KS is the "pothole" capital of the US, especially this current city.
No tire is designed to hit potholes. You're lucky if it's only the tire and not the expensive wheel.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:40 PM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
No tire is designed to hit potholes. You're lucky if it's only the tire and not the expensive wheel.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:53 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,078,892 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's a good tire, but it's a summer tire. It's not supposed to be used in temperatures below 40 degrees. Chevrolet issued a warning a few years ago (when I still had a Corvette) that Corvettes with stock summer tires shouldn't even be moved on the lot in cold weather, let alone be driven on the road. In cold temperatures, pieces of rubber have been known to break off.

My Audi SQ5, which is a sporty SUV/crossover, came with Michelin Latitude Sport III tires, and in cold weather did not handle well. I was very careful driving the car in cold weather and couldn't be driven in our occasional snow. Here, we don't switch to snow tires (no need to, but it does get quite cold) so an all-season tire is needed. At 22,000 miles, when the Latitudes wore to the wear bars, I replaced them with Michelin Cross Climate 2. They're great for cornering, regular driving, and even good in winter.
I usually switch to snow tires for the winter but didn't this year. Really zero issues of driving on a summer tire in winter weather (live up north). One thing I do not recommend is driving on snow tires in summer, you will definitely spin out under some conditions.

Old 05-08-2024, 02:43 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times
Quote:
Well, being careful, and reporting them to the city helps, as I can be persistent. I was actually considering a Honda Odyssey (love the way it looks), but due to how low it sits, I passed. I did notice looking at the vehicle history that they did a LOT of tire replacement on all of them I reviewed. I swear they must sit 4 inches above the pavement or less.

Seems like road maintenance is a thing of the past.

I also like a smooth ride, which of course the Durango does fall short, and maybe these run flat tires would make it worse? Had a Ford Crown Vic wagon - best car I ever owned, smooth even at high speeds!

Old 05-08-2024, 02:56 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,720,886 times
I think run flats has it's place but if tire shops refuses to repair them after one puncture. It's an expensive replacement. I was quoted for $1k on my Tesla Model Y DM to replace the tire from Tesla which includes balancing which was ridiculous. I had a nearby tire shop gave me a replacement for $500 on a 20" performance continental run flat. But later on I gotten a full tire replacement for less than $1k for better performance non-flat tires. I get my flat tire fixed for $30 nearby.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM

30,491 posts, read 21,375,578 times
Quote:
I have a 2007 Dodge Durango that I am considering having body work done. It is in great condition, and I plan to do some traveling. As a female, and older, I have been considering replacing my tires with "run flat tires". I have read on them, but never have known anyone that actually owned some. I have priced them, and they don't seem that much more expensive than what I generally get, but I do see they get less miles, which at my age, that is not of great concern, as I will probably have to downsize in the coming years to a smaller vehicle.

Has anyone had the run flat tires? Which type/manufacturer? Did you like them? Or, if you have thought about them, read about them, etc., do you think they would be worth purchasing?

Thank you.
Had em on most my Vettes. The old Goodyears on the C6's were like driving on glass. The much newer runflats are much better.

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

22,390 posts, read 29,516,848 times
Quote:
Well, being careful, and reporting them to the city helps, as I can be persistent. I was actually considering a Honda Odyssey (love the way it looks), but due to how low it sits, I passed. I did notice looking at the vehicle history that they did a LOT of tire replacement on all of them I reviewed. I swear they must sit 4 inches above the pavement or less.

Seems like road maintenance is a thing of the past.

I also like a smooth ride, which of course the Durango does fall short, and maybe these run flat tires would make it worse? Had a Ford Crown Vic wagon - best car I ever owned, smooth even at high speeds!
Stay away from the Odyssey-it eats tires like you wouldn't believe. Same with Sienna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive