Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:58 AM

61,915 posts, read 87,471,218 times

Advertisements

Who is still listening to AM?

Several manufacturers, including Tesla, Volkswagen, and BMW, do not include broadcast AM capability in their full range of vehicles.
Mazda, Volvo, Polestar, Rivian, and Volkswagen also dumped AM radio.
If the Act is passed, which seems likely, automakers would be forced to make changes.
Ford/Lincoln already reversed their decision.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/am-radio-new-cars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 08:16 AM

17,657 posts, read 17,775,799 times
AM has longer range reaching hard to reach areas and is also the frequency used for emergency evacuation information. Some communities use AM for small local radio stations broadcasting local news, weather, local school sports events, and regional music.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:41 AM

4,609 posts, read 2,740,857 times
I still listen to AM radio. We have a 100% news station that has the best traffic and weather reports.

Lots and lots and lots of people are still listening to AM radio.

If a tornado's coming in, I want to tune in KRLD, not Tik Tok or the rock and roll station.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
We only listen to AM radio for sports, while in the car. Mariners baseball and Seahawks football are both on AM only. I agree, though, that as long as emergency broadcasts are only on AM that the manufacturers should continue to have AM available in all vehicles. It seems more sensible to broadcast those on all of the mobile phones, with only 3% not having one. Meanwhile 8.3% of U.S. people don't have a car.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:03 AM

4,356 posts, read 7,260,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I still listen to AM radio. We have a 100% news station that has the best traffic and weather reports.

Lots and lots and lots of people are still listening to AM radio.

If a tornado's coming in, I want to tune in KRLD, not Tik Tok or the rock and roll station.
Yes, when I listen to AM when I'm on the road, it is usually to either get updates on traffic conditions in the area, or weather or news updates.

Many FM stations have eliminated live on-air announcers, in favor of pre-recorded announcements, station ID, weather forecasts, etc., so no opportunity to get revised updated info or current conditions.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:18 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,615,153 times
with all the gizmos in the cars today - especially inverters which are not shielded AT ALL - I would expect it to sound like hell, like a late 60s model with a bad ignition condenser going south...or worse.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:20 AM

4,609 posts, read 2,740,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, when I listen to AM when I'm on the road, it is usually to either get updates on traffic conditions in the area, or weather or news updates.

Many FM stations have eliminated live on-air announcers, in favor of pre-recorded announcements, station ID, weather forecasts, etc., so no opportunity to get revised updated info or current conditions.
In fact, this week driving cross-country I found a station that appears to be 100% Alexa driven. No announcements except at the end of each song a botvoice said the artist name and song name. Three of those then three advertisements, then three more botsongs, etc., for hours on end. No humans involved.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:42 AM

8,366 posts, read 6,465,628 times
I have AM on all the time in my Bolt and at home from morning to night. Right wing political talk.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
In fact, this week driving cross-country I found a station that appears to be 100% Alexa driven. No announcements except at the end of each song a botvoice said the artist name and song name. Three of those then three advertisements, then three more botsongs, etc., for hours on end. No humans involved.
For those with a smart phone and streaming capabilities in their car, they can always get any AM (or FM) station anywhere in the world with the APP "Radio Garden." I will sometimes listen to stations in other countries like Britain, Ireland and Australia just for fun. One would have to know to tune in and listen for an alert, though.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:04 PM

6,164 posts, read 4,635,169 times
It's been a while since I've seen one of these, but in some areas near tourist destinations, there will be an informational sign along the highway that says "For visitor information, tune into ____ AM". I imagine there was some lobbying on the part of that sorts of tourism/chamber of commerce type interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive