Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 10:44 PM

3,245 posts, read 1,694,848 times

Advertisements

I don't know why they didn't mandate better safety equipment such as lane departure warning or blind spot monitoring on all cars. Auto braking is sort of dangerous in some scenerios there it's better to avoid then to brake and cause a multi-vehicle accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 11:33 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,039,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Like most of these safety systems, e.g. airbags, ABS, if they need to be used just one time they paid for themselves. I cannot imagine how awful I'd feel if I inadvertently ran into a kid on a bicycle.
Please. "If it saves just one person..." How many people have run into a kid on a bicycle? In the grand scheme of things, pretty rare.

I've been driving cars since 1992 and have been involved in less than six 'fender benders' with minimal damage to the cars, and none to the humans. I don't discount that there are serious car crashes and resulting deaths, but humanity seems to be carrying on just fine despite that - we keep driving cars without a second thought, even after losing loved ones in car crashes. People killed in car crashes are later transported in cars to their final resting places. Clearly the value of personal transportation is worth more than the occasional loss or malfunction.

Automatic braking is going to create more problems than it's worth, and just make things more expensive and complicated than they need to be.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 3,173,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Please. "If it saves just one person..."

Automatic braking is going to create more problems than it's worth, and just make things more expensive and complicated than they need to be.
I, too, am tired of having to deal with all sorts of gadgets designed to "save that one life", yet do nothing but make my life more complicated. People simply need to be trained, from their earliest days, to pay attention to the task at hand.....and nothing but the task at hand!

My wife and I just bought a new car. After getting in, and starting the engine, the 10" wide, video dashboard lights up with all sorts of bells and whistles, and a message scrolls across this "billboard" warning me that "distracted driving" is dangerous.....

THE ENTIRE DASHBOARD, BACKED UP BY STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED BUTTONS, IS A GIGANTIC DISTRACTION!!!!

Old 05-01-2024, 04:56 AM

17,637 posts, read 17,730,526 times
My concern with this is complacency. As drivers become reliant on this technology, they will become complacent about their own driving awareness trusting the tech enough to let their mind and eyes wonder. I’m a firm believer in Murphy’s Law. Technology can fail. Having it as an additional measure of safety is fine but to overly rely on it can lead to problems when it fails to work properly.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:44 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,069,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
My 2020 F150 didn't have auto braking but it had a warning with all sorts of flashing lights and buzzers go off when a collision was "imminent". Only problem was that the 4 times that happened, there was nothing around me Perhaps the sensors were set to pick up another dimension in which there was something I would have hit

\Not a fan!
My 2019 Buick Encore does the same. It especially gets confused when it is snowing. I have it set to the maximum warning distance, as I am not a tailgater. It has legitimately gone off only a couple of times, just as I was applying the brakes. I consider that a failure on my part.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:53 AM

3,245 posts, read 1,694,848 times
The problem with auto-braking is that sometimes a car cuts you off while zip zagging through multiple lanes. That can cause your car to auto-brake even though the car cutting through isn't slowing down but the distance is very close to you and may brake your car causing other cars behind to brake. The other problem is when the road has a different color or incline that causes the sensor to think there's a object in front.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:15 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The problem with auto-braking is that sometimes a car cuts you off while zip zagging through multiple lanes. That can cause your car to auto-brake even though the car cutting through isn't slowing down but the distance is very close to you and may brake your car causing other cars behind to brake. The other problem is when the road has a different color or incline that causes the sensor to think there's a object in front.
I have never had any false positives in my Forester after 5 years. But there were some people who complained about Eyesight on the Forester forum. Other remarks they made suggested that they were aggressive drivers in highway traffic, so if your driving in traffic looks like an imminent accident much of the time, I can understand that the system will think your car is going to crash. That's never happened to me - I drive 10-15 mph over the limit, but I maintain a safe distance, and I am not someone who comes roaring up on someone's bumper or is cutting between closely spaced cars at speed.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:10 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,039,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Technology can fail. Having it as an additional measure of safety is fine but to overly rely on it can lead to problems when it fails to work properly.
HAL in the movie 2001 comes to mind, a computer system in charge of the controls and safety of a flight crew. While still a work of fiction, it probably won't be for much longer.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:18 AM

958 posts, read 2,024,954 times
I find it interesting how many people that think this is a terrible thing and will "Cause more problems". AEB was ALREADY in 95% of cars sold last year. This new requirement is going to change almost nothing as manufacturers already voluntary agreed to it. Do some implementations need to get slightly better? Sure, and I'm certain they will. People yelled that seatbelts were dangerous and ABS was going to kill tons of people as well when they were required.

AEB is and will continue to save lives. Also, it will reduce rear-end collisions by an estimated 40% -- which will reduce insurance costs for all of us.

Would it be better if everyone just paid attention to driving and we didn't need this? Yes, absolutely 100%. But that is not happening, unfortunately, I've been rear ended while stopped at a red light a couple of times now because people seem to think that looking at their phone is more important than what is in front of them. It shouldn't be that way, but since it is, lets get AEB going.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:27 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,680,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
HAL in the movie 2001 comes to mind, a computer system in charge of the controls and safety of a flight crew. While still a work of fiction, it probably won't be for much longer.

"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive