Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:53 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Wasn't really sure where to put this. It was briefly discussed as a sidenote in another thread awhile back on another subforum. But the curiosity is killing me, so I want to hear from people who actually do this...

Driving on the local Interstate to and from work (three or four lanes most of the drive), I see the majority of drivers far preferring the left (inside lane) and avoiding the right (outside lane) like the plague. Whether they are just driving down the freeway or coming in from an onramp, they just automatically dart over to the left lanes and almost seem to "panic" if they can't get over in those inside lanes quickly.

I recall when the inside lane was for faster traffic and the outside lane was for slower traffic. But that seems to be a thing of the past around my area. Even truckers in 18 wheelers cruise on the inside lanes quite often.

So if that's you, I'm just curious: what is your motivation???

I'm not here to whine about it, because although it used to bother me, I've developed a system to actually avoid the swerving in and out and everyone is in everyone's way thing. I simply stay in the outside lane and I almost never have anyone in my way. I just cruise right on past the folk fighting over the inside and middle lanes.

But like I said, the curiosity is killing me. What is your thinking if you do that on the freeway? On the other thread, the answer was that there was no real reason: "I just do it." Is that the consensus?

Old Today, 02:18 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
It's not something that I normally do but I have done it for various reasons.

For instance, If I am on a motorcycle, I avoid the outside lanes like a plague. Too much traffic movement and shredded tractor-trailer tires.

If I am in my truck or my wife's car, I may ride the fast lane in sections where there are increased onramps and lane endings. This is more common on beltways than on major interstate routes.

There are also occasions when traffic is light that I forget that I am riding the fast lane.

All of that said, I always move over and allow faster traffic to pass when it is safe to do so.

Old Today, 02:55 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
All contextual.

There's some two-lane freeways where I "dart" for the left lane here. They're older ones with short on-ramps and people have enough difficulty operating their vehicles that they find it hard to properly merge onto a freeway. They're always doing stupid stuff like getting on the freeway at 35 whenever it's convenient or coming to a complete stop at the end of the on-ramp. Unless there's some reason like a big ol seven football fields of open road and someone who wants to go faster than me, I steer as far away from the idiots as possible and drive in the left lane. Interstates right most lane except when passing. Nobody else does though. There's alway some Prius or nowadays it's mostly Teslas doing 62 in a 70 in the fast lane holding up traffic.

Old Today, 02:55 PM

329 posts, read 236,561 times
Most of the time I drive a tad bit faster than most folks so I do a lot of passing over there.

but sometimes i feel safer over there when in heavier traffic knowing i dont have to worry bout a lot of merging traffic.... though just two days ago a very aggressive driver about tore the front of my car off while weaving in and out of traffic.

Old Today, 02:56 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
All of that said, I always move over and allow faster traffic to pass when it is safe to do so.
I do too. I rarely drive on those inside lanes, but when I do I'm going faster than usual, always keeping an eye on who is behind me and doing my best to stay out of their way if they want through.

The speed limit on the local interstate is 70 mph (and 80 once you get away from the metro areas). So unless I'm doing 80 (on the 70 mph zones), I don't even consider getting into the left lanes. Yes, folks around here tend to drive fast and doing the speed limit is often getting you passed up like you're standing still . Out in the desert, 85 or 90 mph is pretty common on the interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
... though just two days ago a very aggressive driver about tore the front of my car off while weaving in and out of traffic.
Yeah, that's the thing that scares me most about "cruising" in the inside lanes. It just forces the faster drivers to weave in and out like that. And around here, patience is pretty slim. There are a lot of very aggressive drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
... people have enough difficulty operating their vehicles that they find it hard to properly merge onto a freeway. They're always doing stupid stuff like getting on the freeway at 35 whenever it's convenient or coming to a complete stop at the end of the on-ramp.
That drives me nuts. It's like they do not understand the purpose of a freeway onramp. As for me... that's half the fun of it: see if I can improve the 0-60 time. To be fair, the compact car that I was driving could barely even get to 70 by the time I reached the freeway. But the Mustang GT I just bought... well, that's another matter. So I love it now when nobody is in front of me on the onramp.

Last edited by ChrisC; Today at 03:20 PM..

Old Today, 03:04 PM

329 posts, read 236,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Yeah, that's the thing that scares me most about "cruising" in the inside lanes. It just forces the faster drivers th weave in and out like that. And around here, patience is pretty slim. There are a lot of very aggressive drivers.
i agree about cruising in the fast lane. Though in that scenario above , the left lane was the turn lane at an interchange. The guy was just being a complete idiot.

Old Today, 03:05 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Here in Southern California, folks generally believe the inner lanes (#1 lane or passing lane) moves the fastest. The outside lane usually deals with merging of on-coming and out-going cars, disabled/emergency vehicles, road debris, and heavier trucks that are typically restricted to a lower cruise speed and lane selection. The outside lanes usually take a lot more abuse from the heavier vehicles, debris, and more frequent braking and acceleration. Therefore many folks find the outside lane to be less comfortable and more care is needed to safely navigate that lane. However, whenever that lane gets repaved many folks may find it more favorable compared to the other lanes that haven't been refinished.

Generally people are not very thoughtful and just do things out of habit, superstition, and heuristics.

Old Today, 04:04 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
I never "camp out" in the left lane. There are only 3 reasons you will find me there: 1) to pass another vehicle; 2) I'm going to be making a left turn soon; 3) I'm coming to a stretch of road where I know there will be a lot of traffic entering or exiting the road.

But with a 3 or 4 lane wide highway, I'll tend to just stay in the middle. That way, people can get on and off the highway without dealing with me. And, all the yahoos who want to go 20mph (or more) over the speed limit can just blast past me in the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive