Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 10:02 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
There are a bunch of models of cars where the reverse lights stay on for 30-60 seconds after the car is turned off. It drives me nuts because it signals that the car is about to reverse. It also causes complacency. I have no idea why some cars are configured like this.
Because human factors engineering is no longer considered in automobile design. Sorry, but that's the truth. Rotary knob transmission selectors, constantly-changing emergency brake designs (electric and mechanical), 19 different column stalk configurations, radios where you have to go three menu levels deep to switch from an AM station to an FM station, touchscreen-controlled HVAC systems, etc., etc.,etc., etc.

They've put the software guys in charge of user interaction design and the results are predictable, unlike the operation of the functions. It is a fundamental tenet of human factors design that controls that will be operated while doing something else, ESPECIALLY if safety can be affected, should be operable without having to look at them - at a minimum, you shold be able to briefly glance just to find the button or knob.

This basic fundamental requirement of engineering a 3000-8000 lb. vehicle with 300 HP intended to be operated at speeds of up to 100 MPH by minimally trained people, has been pulled out, torn into shreds, gleefullly stamped upon, and set on fire by the current crop of computer-weenies who fancy themselves automotive controls designers.

I suggest anyone who questions this spend a week driving a 1970 model car with manual transmission and see after a week how often you need to look away from the road to operate ANY function - then get into a 2024 vehicle and see how often you need to look away from the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 10:06 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
This is GM's exit lighting feature (not sure if other brands have it) to make it easy to see around the car in the dark. It's configurable for time (and even if it happens) on many GM vehicles.

If you don't see brake lights, you don't have to worry about them backing up into you...

Old 04-11-2024, 10:13 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Same reason the headlights stay on for a period of time when you get out, so you have some illumination while exiting and leaving the car. Both features bug me. With the headlights I'm thinking I left them on and stand there until they go off - just to be sure. With the reverse lights, like the OP, I'm thinking someone is about to back out only to realize nobody is in the car.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:25 AM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah, a lighting convenience for the driver as they exit. With designers not considering they could be misconstrued as reversing out of a spot.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:55 AM

10,812 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

I suggest anyone who questions this spend a week driving a 1970 model car with manual transmission and see after a week how often you need to look away from the road to operate ANY function - then get into a 2024 vehicle and see how often you need to look away from the road.

It has been my experience, that once I get into a vehicle and use my 'terminator vision' ('memba when Ahnold climbed into the transtar 2 and his 'viewpoint' showed the schmatic for a fuller trans?) to figure it out, it was never a problem. I have the most memory from my OBS fords....every button by muscle memory and touch.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:57 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah when I was looking for a head unit to replace the one in our 2008 vehicle out of the oodles of options out there I could find only one with a physical volume knob. So, got that one. The rest were buttons or touchscreen controlled.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:39 PM

366 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Same reason the headlights stay on for a period of time when you get out, so you have some illumination while exiting and leaving the car. Both features bug me. With the headlights I'm thinking I left them on and stand there until they go off - just to be sure. With the reverse lights, like the OP, I'm thinking someone is about to back out only to realize nobody is in the car.
This is exactly what it is. it's specifically for illumination in dark parking lots or at night in the driveway. Since it's working with auto headlights, they come on anytime, but can be configured not to, or have different durations.

Such a first world problem to complain about...

Old 04-11-2024, 01:56 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Yeah I was gonna say - it's the same reason the headlights stay on. Creature comfort lighting when walking away. Lots of cars do it.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:28 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
This is exactly what it is. it's specifically for illumination in dark parking lots or at night in the driveway. Since it's working with auto headlights, they come on anytime, but can be configured not to, or have different durations.

Such a first world problem to complain about...

It sure is, but we supposedly live in the first world (not as sure any more) so I'm complaining. I'm not spending the time to figure out changing duration but I mostly have them set to manual so I'm the one turning them on and off since that is still a knob function on my new truck.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:53 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
At work we park in a parking garage. I’ve noticed some vehicles with reverse lights when vehicle is turned off. It always caught me off guard whisking they’re about to back into me. Why did these companies set up their vehicles to turn on reverse lights when the vehicle is turned off?
To provide safety lighting? I don't think my reverse lights stay on, but the headlights and other lights do for a few seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive