Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 03:36 AM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Have you inquired about getting a used (new to you) engine, or a rebuilt engine?

You can also buy a used car for much less than 23k. Especially now that dealer lots are overflowing. If your standard for your current vehicle is merely that it has to run, why would you set dramatically higher standards for a vehicle you would consider buying? Personally, when I buy a vehicle, I usually am only looking to go a few years younger and 40k-50k miles less than what I already have. Having a used car for 3-5 years is a decent sweet spot where you aren't paying too much in sales taxes or markups but also are not being eaten alive by depreciation.
A high quality rebuilt engine should be as good as new, and even a used engine from a reputable salvage yard - if it's out of a low mileage car that got in an accident can be fine - the rest of the car is after all used. I agree these other options are worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 05:53 AM

15,427 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Have you inquired about getting a used (new to you) engine, or a rebuilt engine?

You can also buy a used car for much less than 23k. Especially now that dealer lots are overflowing. If your standard for your current vehicle is merely that it has to run, why would you set dramatically higher standards for a vehicle you would consider buying? Personally, when I buy a vehicle, I usually am only looking to go a few years younger and 40k-50k miles less than what I already have. Having a used car for 3-5 years is a decent sweet spot where you aren't paying too much in sales taxes or markups but also are not being eaten alive by depreciation.
How does depreciation eat you alive? I never worry about that. We buy new cars and keep them for 15 to 20 years or more.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:27 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Well, OP still hasn't come across with an explanation for "engine in the beginning stages of going out". So all we can do is speculate; it might be that a valve job and re-sealing is the answer; or it might be that the cylinders are scored, the rings are broken, half the valves are burned and two main bearings have spun. OR it might just be that it needs a new starter water pump and alternator. We're all just guessing. It's like when people say "the transmission blew up". Meaningless words.

OP, what are the dry and wet compression test results? Has anyone given you a diagnosis? What are you experiencing other than oil leaks?

Old 03-21-2024, 08:30 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, OP still hasn't come across with an explanation for "engine in the beginning stages of going out". So all we can do is speculate; it might be that a valve job and re-sealing is the answer; or it might be that the cylinders are scored, the rings are broken, half the valves are burned and two main bearings have spun. OR it might just be that it needs a new starter water pump and alternator. We're all just guessing. It's like when people say "the transmission blew up". Meaningless words.

OP, what are the dry and wet compression test results? Has anyone given you a diagnosis? What are you experiencing other than oil leaks?
The cam sensor is not functioning correctly and the car burns a lot of oil. Took it to multiple places who said it's related to a known defect with the engine that is too expensive to repair. That's really all I know.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:32 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How does depreciation eat you alive? I never worry about that. We buy new cars and keep them for 15 to 20 years or more.
Because the first 3 years of owning a car have the most depreciation. It's not hard to understand. You can purchase a car 3 years old and keep it for 15-20 years as well. The car doesn't know its had two owners.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Here is what happens when that engine runs out of oil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw54...nnel=CarWizard

Old 03-21-2024, 03:01 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw54...nnel=CarWizard
Wow. Sounds like the only viable options are spend $9K-$10K to have a new engine installed, or keep driving it until it dies. I think if I were the OP I would just keep topping off the oil and drive it until it won't go anymore.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:03 PM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Sounds grim. Okay, I take back what I said about buying a used or rebuilt engine.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:53 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,296,149 times
The Hyundai Theta engine has direct injection. It provides good economy, but requires replacement after 100,000 miles or less.

I read that Hyundai sold a refurbished engine for $6,000.
A used engine is dirt cheap because...

Old 03-22-2024, 05:39 AM

1,864 posts, read 841,146 times
im in the same spot, I have a vehicle that I have owned for 23 years, it was clean and nice, dependable. But i myself because of stupidty damage the motor, it not value wize worth me replacing the motor with a junkyard motor but somebody else could have a cheap nice second car. I just dont want to deal with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive