Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 09:00 PM

408 posts, read 260,122 times

Advertisements

As an ex volunteer firefighter, it is a habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 09:24 PM

11,521 posts, read 6,027,599 times
I am not in Denver but can't resist answering. I drive a Dodge Challenger with large blind spots to the rear.

Entry

I have an awesome back-up camera in my Challenger that allows fairly precise car placement when backing in. Experience has taught me that I can place my car better backing in, including how deep I park in the stall or how close I can come to a fixed object, than when trying to guess my clearances pulling forward into a spot.

Exit

I have unobstructed forward vision when pulling out of my spot, whether it is to avoid an oncoming car or truck, a child running in front of me, or a loose dog.

Back in, head out, is superior for safety and convenience to me. Yes, it does take me more time to back in, because I am so precise with my placement, but I get it back and more by being able to head out and knowing there is NO WAY anybody is there, due to no blind spots.

FWIW, I think back-up cameras have much to do with why you are seeing people back in the past few years, when few did it before than. I know I was always hesitant to back into parking spaces before I had cars with clear, useful back-up cameras. Long ago I did not even have a mirror on the passenger side door, and that made backing up even more difficult.

I think back-up cameras are a big reason many people feel safe backing into parking spots today and the lack of them was a big reason peolpe didn't used to back into spaces.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 12-30-2021 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-01-2022, 05:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Okay.

Explain to me, in short words and clear sentences, ....

.. please explain in calm, simple words why you spend a great deal of extra time and effort backing into parking slots. When... folks elsewhere hardly ever do.
#1.... As a commercial driver, back-in-parking is a 'condition of employment'. Even personal vehicle in company parking lot must be parked backing in / forward out. If not, you're fired, or Ineligible to drive commercially that day, and likely on probation for 30 days.

#2. I have had several vehicles with reverse broken. Drove one for 9 yrs.
#3. Easier to access or service engine / start vehicle in case of extreme cold or mechanical failure.
#4. Safety, of course most important. Especially if kids or pedestrians or traffic is in your exit path.

In some small towns.... (Usually only on busy (?) Main Street) You park diagonal backing in to the FAR side of street, across traffic both backing and exiting. That is really handy, as you had a very gentle approach angle, and a lot of space, backing and exiting forward. In a very rare event you might have to wait for traffic. (If someone else had to drive to town that day. Rainy days can be crowded in town (5 or more cars ) since it is too muddy to farm). My hometown in Colorado had a population of 5, so parking was not a problem on most weekdays.

I most appreciate the towns that have pull-thru parking in center of street, and often no parking curbside. Usually find those towns in Iowa or Kansas. Many of us come to town towing a trailer (often a stock trailer). Nice to accommodate nearby drive-thru parking so we can keep an eye on our livestock and 'free-range' dogs. (Who know to stay put with vehicle and livestock)

Old 01-01-2022, 11:45 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
What do you think of this ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6656...7i16384!8i8192

Reverse-angle back-in only parking in New Britain CT, across from police dept.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:58 AM

11,521 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What do you think of this ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6656...7i16384!8i8192

Reverse-angle back-in only parking in New Britain CT, across from police dept.
You get used to it. It helps where there is high traffic congestion. You are already nose out and you are already facing the right direction, since nobody would ever let you turn left from there in heavy traffic.

You get used to it.

As far as backing in, everybody expects you to so most people will give you space to back up, especially if you signal in advance. It works great on a near gridlocked street. I see these in resort towns that get jam packed in summer or on weekends.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:56 AM

824 posts, read 706,357 times
driving the grocery getter is an every day thing. Not a 100% level effort. It is not a test and tune track day.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:10 AM

26,223 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Moved to automotive for additional comments.

Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:05 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
I know that backing in is an Army/military thing - back-in in case you need to pull out fast and not worry about IEDs - some do it to show former military service.

Personally - I tend to look for drive through spots and back in only if convenient.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:09 PM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,674,811 times
Good topic. Two comments.

I have an SUV with monitors in the rear to detect traffic from the side. It's probably safer to drive in and rely on those when backing out than it is to back in then drive forward to get out without being able to see around the larger vehicles on either side to spot traffic. I have 2 small sports cars from which I can't see anything no matter which way I pull in, so I select parking spots carefully. Note that if drivers would slow down in parking lot aisles inside of thinking they're participating in the Indy 500, parking in/out would be far less important.

Half the drivers in America can barely back up anyway. I live on a one-lane road. For many, many years, the accepted solution when 2 cars met was for the person closest to a driveway to back up and let the other person through. Now I find myself backing up for 100+ yards because the other person is "uncomfortable" backing up 20 feet and into a driveway. Maybe driver's tests (and retests) should evaluate backing up, including backing into a parking spot, instead of parallel parking.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:58 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,744,862 times
I do it because it is quicker and it is safer. I was doing it before I had a reverse camera, and now with one it is even quicker than quick.

1) It is quicker, overall, because as I approach the spot I can see if it is clear. No kids, no shopping carts, no nothing. Sure, it takes a little practice to get used to it, but once you are used to it you can actually fit your car into a tighter spot because you approach it like a forklift (its steering wheels are at the back for precisely this reason). And when leaving your spot, pulling out, you can easily see if there are any hazards. Overall it is quicker. Quick getaways!

2) It is safer for the reasons I already mentioned in #1 above.

Now if I'm in a busy parking lot and there are lots of other cars I will just pull in. That way I get out of the way faster. But other than that I almost always back-in park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive