Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 05:19 PM

5,689 posts, read 5,934,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I just like the fact that the NASCAR community is finally acknowledging they have a ratings/viewer/ fan base problem.
I personally see this as just another gimmick, extremely convoluted, instead of just going back to what they were doing when they didn't have a fan base problem. They are grasping for something that isnt there.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 06:10 AM

9,585 posts, read 9,891,001 times
Firstly, nice job Labonte18 for making this concept much more visual. Heck you should send Denny the link to your bracket!

It is a gimmick, but so was the Winston Million, etc... and that is when racing was much better than now.

We have to face it that NASCAR will never go back to the good 'ole days when we "didn't have a fan base problem". NASCAR's most loyal base is getting up in years. Once that base is all taking their dirt naps, NASCAR will need a new fan base if they want to survive.

And the new/future fanbase just doesn't seem as interested in racing as their fathers/grand dads, etc... March Madness makes a LOT of money and gets a LOT of people watching (and betting on) the sport that normally would not.

If the bracket challenge would start in now, NASCAR's main competition would be the NBA Playoffs and the early part of MLB where hardly no one is watching.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:42 AM

17,679 posts, read 15,392,219 times
For giggles.. I did 1997. That really wasn't as much fun as present, because.. Let's be honest.. In 1997 you only had about 10-12 cars that were competitive each week.

https://brackethq.com/b/15chb/

The winner wound up being the #4 seed, Mark Martin, defeating the #7 seed Jeff Burton. Martin had 5 top 10 finishes with 4 of them being top 5 finishes.

And, I'll mention that from about 22nd to 32nd in the standings, I had to fudge a little bit because I couldn't find the points standings for #22 to #32 after 10 races.. I got the top 21, but not past that. So, I filled in 22-32 based on the final points standings.

The surprises here were Kyle Petty making it to the final 4. In fact, the "Elite 8" matchup of #30 seed Rick Mast vs #22 Kyle Petty kinda surprised me. Hell, Kyle defeated Ward Burton and Dale Earnhardt.

Geoffrey Bodine made it in, but Jeff Burton basically got a first round bye because Bodine didn't run at the first race, Todd was in the #7 (And finished last, I believe)

Races were Charlotte, Dover, Pocono, Michigan and California.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:24 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 9 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 4,741,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Firstly, nice job Labonte18 for making this concept much more visual. Heck you should send Denny the link to your bracket!

It is a gimmick, but so was the Winston Million, etc... and that is when racing was much better than now.

We have to face it that NASCAR will never go back to the good 'ole days when we "didn't have a fan base problem". NASCAR's most loyal base is getting up in years. Once that base is all taking their dirt naps, NASCAR will need a new fan base if they want to survive.

And the new/future fanbase just doesn't seem as interested in racing as their fathers/grand dads, etc... March Madness makes a LOT of money and gets a LOT of people watching (and betting on) the sport that normally would not.

If the bracket challenge would start in now, NASCAR's main competition would be the NBA Playoffs and the early part of MLB where hardly no one is watching.
The point I've tried to make is that NASCAR needs a new audience. At 63, I'm not the audience they want. The 18-34 age group is still king, but the amount of data that TV and advertisers, think Google, allows specified, targeted advertising.

NASCAR will, and must, change with the times if they want to survive. F1 is coming on strong in the US.

The bracket idea is certainly a gimmick, but so is the dirt race.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The point I've tried to make is that NASCAR needs a new audience. At 63, I'm not the audience they want. The 18-34 age group is still king, but the amount of data that TV and advertisers, think Google, allows specified, targeted advertising.

NASCAR will, and must, change with the times if they want to survive. F1 is coming on strong in the US.

The bracket idea is certainly a gimmick, but so is the dirt race.

The bracket is a way to bring in more gambling.. Which in turn, brings more eyes.. At least, that's the theory.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:36 PM

10,383 posts, read 6,949,226 times
I was going to mention "Moons Over MyHammy" but I guess that's the wrong Denny's....

Btw, NASCAR isn't racing, anymore.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:00 PM

Sorry.. Just got around to updating this years bracket.

So.. This is kinda fascinating. The HIGHEST seed left alive is Denny who was the #10 seed.

We have #16 Chris Buscher vs #12 Brad Keselowski and #14 William Byron vs #10 Denny Hamlin as the final four at the Coke 600

Top Seed Christopher Bell was eliminated in round 2 by Buescher
#2 Ross Chastain was eliminated in round 3 by Denny
#3 Kevin Harvick was eliminated in round 2 by Byron
#4 Kyle Larson was eliminated in round 1 by Austin Dillon
#5 Kyle Busch was eliminated in round 1 by Ryan Preece
#6 Tyler Reddick was eliminated in round 3 by Byron
#7 MTJ was eliminated in round 2 by Hamlin
#8 Ryan Blaney was eliminated in round 2 by Aric Alimorla
#9 Alex Bowman forfeited which allowed Almirola to advance. Not subbing drivers into this, so no Josh Berry. Though, if Berry WERE in at the #9 seed..

He would have advanced instead of Almirola, which would put Berry vs Blaney at Kansas, which would have advanced Blaney, which would lead to Blaney vs Buescher at Darlington, and Blaney would have advanced into the final 4 in place of Buescher.

But.. If you don't run, you forfeit is the rule I went with. It's driver, not car.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:55 AM

9,585 posts, read 9,891,001 times
Are you playing along on the Dirty Mo website?

Old 06-12-2023, 08:44 AM

So.. There's the final.. Chris Buescher is the winner.

Dale Jr is carrying this idea a bit as well, updating it on his podcast weekly.. Though, they just started when they decided to track it, they didn't run the same races that I did here.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:57 PM

This is actually happening next year.

$1M to the winner.

https://www.jayski.com/2024/05/13/na...25-cup-season/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing