Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 10:33 AM

5,243 posts, read 6,164,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
NE Georgia.. There's just not much there.

But, as for the "NASCAR-E" series.. no, I really don't think so. I think it probably starts with many of the established teams, but quickly moves to a specialized set of teams, much like the truck series.

I kinda suspect that it's.. A level below the truck series. ARCA level.

Then the question becomes.. Where does it run? Is it a companion series to Cup? I doubt it. SOME overlap? Probably, but.. I'd say minimal. Though, I think the thought right now is that it's a race run before the cup race. And if that's the case, you've got to bring your cup teams in.

Likely needs to be a short series.. 15-20 races tops. Smaller tracks for the most part. Fields in the 20-25 cars range. I don't really see a Daytona in the cards.
Elon should donate a few of his cars to NASCAR before the 2023 Chicago street race. Let the teams put a few bumper guides around the car and with extended range they might have a pretty good race!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 11:03 AM

15,475 posts, read 7,522,309 times
NASCAR should follow F1's lead, and start with hybrids that can provide an extra 100hp, and batteries that are charged through regenerative braking. I hadn't watched a F! race in years until a couple of years ago, and was surprised when the Mercedes cars had to drop out because their brake controllers weren't working, which meant they lost 70% of their braking power. No reason NASCAR couldn't do something similar.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:39 PM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
NASCAR should follow F1's lead, and start with hybrids that can provide an extra 100hp, and batteries that are charged through regenerative braking. I hadn't watched a F! race in years until a couple of years ago, and was surprised when the Mercedes cars had to drop out because their brake controllers weren't working, which meant they lost 70% of their braking power. No reason NASCAR couldn't do something similar.
You mean cut the braking power???

(sorry, I couldn't help myself......)

Old 08-31-2022, 10:23 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Some of y’all need to educate yourselves on power requirements for EVs. The excuses here are mostly laughable.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:16 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Some of y’all need to educate yourselves on power requirements for EVs. The excuses here are mostly laughable.

Which one?

A Tesla Supercharger runs at about 90kW when it's charging a vehicle

You know what your home AC runs at?

Ballpark.. Assuming a relatively recent model 3 ton unit..

3.6kW

So, every supercharger is like 25 homes running AC.

https://www.wsmv.com/2022/06/15/elec...mid-heat-wave/

There's Nashville asking people to turn up their AC to protect the power grid.

My argument is that the infrastructure isn't there for EVs yet. And.. That pretty much backs it up.

Here, we actually probably have a better grid infrastructure because we have the Oconee Nuclear plant. But.. There are very few chargers around.

At least, the.. What is it? Level 3 chargers that are the 'superchargers"?

You know how many are in the Greenville area? 4 at Sam's Club, 1 each at 4 different Spinx, 1 in a downtown parking garage and 1 at ICAR. And then 16 more that are Tesla supercharging stations.

That's.. 25 TOTAL.

https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html

Now, perhaps that site is out of date..

ICAR.. Has 1. That's mind blowing. ICAR. https://cuicar.com/

Old 08-31-2022, 02:13 PM

It doesn’t require a supercharger. You drive more than 300 miles a day? Because a Tesla home charger uses the same power as a dryer.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It doesn’t require a supercharger. You drive more than 300 miles a day? Because a Tesla home charger uses the same power as a dryer.

At times, yes.

And a dryer, generally, uses MORE power than an A/C.

Doesn't seem right, but remember that you're converting power into heat, which is very inefficient. The AC is just powering motors for the most part.

But, still.. Let's just assume the same power for an A/C to charge the car. Now you've doubled, at least, the number of A/C units In some cases, where there's a 2 car household.. Tripled.

And, still.. Hey, turn up your AC during this heatwave, we need to protect the grid.

The only advantage is that for the most part, car charging would happen in the evening or overnight hours when AC is not as apt to be running.

But, that also means the grid never gets a break.

Not to mention that most people, that 400 mile range? First off.. there are 2 vehicles rated to get over 400 miles. The lucid Air and the Tesla Model S, 2022 models. 300 miles is more typical.

Then, there's the whole thing about that range being perfect conditions.

Again, we need to boost the infrastructure before mass acceptance of EVs. They're going to have to get the grid where they won't be any kind of problem, and the grid is a problem now with the limited number of EVs on the road.

Second, the convenience will have to come up. I've driven 1000 miles in a day before. Greenville, SC to Des Moines, IA. Took about 16 hours. There need to be plenty of chargers that will refuel the car within about 30 minutes.

You can't say "Well, just make that a 3 day trip"

Old 08-31-2022, 04:13 PM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Although I haven't done it in a while, I used to make the trip between Rochester, NY and Myrtle Beach, SC, on an annual basis. It's 825 miles, and several times, for various reasons, I drove it straight through. At a reasonable speed, it's a 13.5-14 hour trip. If you had to add "charge time", as in EV, it's takes it out of the realm of possibility.....

Old 08-31-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Although I haven't done it in a while, I used to make the trip between Rochester, NY and Myrtle Beach, SC, on an annual basis. It's 825 miles, and several times, for various reasons, I drove it straight through. At a reasonable speed, it's a 13.5-14 hour trip. If you had to add "charge time", as in EV, it's takes it out of the realm of possibility.....

Depends on the charge time. If you can fill it up in 30 minutes or less.. I think that would be acceptable to most people. Frankly, because when they stop for fuel.. Usually there's also, grab some drinks, use the bathroom, etc, etc.. While someone might not spend 30 minutes.. It's certainly likely they're spending 15 minutes off the road.. Adding another 15 on that.. Acceptable.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:52 PM

I’ve driven from Manhattan, KS to Destin, FL many times. It’s doable now in a Tesla. https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

EVs are the future. Alternative power sources and methodology are being updated constantly. Oil and gas is fighting back hard, but it’s coming.

And someday, NASCAR will have EVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing