Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 05:25 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Maybe NASA might have given a bit of info? Well, you did say 'almost all'.

But really now, IRS was on passenger cars since when?
I would say that IRS has been a part of passenger car suspension since at least the 1950s, maybe even prior to that. GM used a somewhat crude example of it on the Corvair, beginning with the 1960 models, and a more sophisticated example was introduced on the 1963 Corvettes.

Personally, I think replacing the "traditional" Ford based, 9" rear axle, on the NASCAR racers is a step backward, as the "NASCAR spec" IRS isn't proving to be all that durable, in the "push and shove" world of NASCAR racing. The toe links are proving to be too easily bunged up, at least in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 10:55 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Maybe NASA might have given a bit of info? Well, you did say 'almost all'.

But really now, IRS was on passenger cars since when?

Lancia had it in 1922: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Medi...%20or%20coils.

I would think many auto innovations were the work of good ol' American hot rodders and aviation gave us such things rubber bladder lined fuel tanks.

But I do miss the days when NASCAR teams started with an actual body in white and there were significant differences between makes and such innovations as Smokey Yunick's 'scale-model' Chevelle and reverse rotation engines that would load the inside of the car on counter clockwise ovals.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:21 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I hate the Confederate flag, so if a sport wants to get rid of it, good for them.
I hope Mr. _mariner finds a little more time to study the social history of NASCAR.

This morning, AMC is showing Greased Lightnlng, a partially fictionalized account of the life and career of Wendell Scott, a man of color who found his way into NASCAR by his own efforts, and against a stacked deck .

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...on-at-daytona/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wend...COxc5ytgKVdXPM

But my personal acquaintance with NASCAR goes back a long way.

I can recall coverage of Mr. Scott's efforts by the late Jim McKay of ABC television and the late Chris Economaki of National Speed Sport News; Mr. Scott and his two sons far out of competition for the victory and toiling in the pits -- but still kicking.
The story of Mr. Scotts' disqualification from one of his biggest victories is true -- the prospect of a white beauty queen waiting in Victory Lane is somewhat of an embellishment.

Mr. Scott died from natural causes a few years ago; but his efforts, (and those of others who just knew right from wrong) eventually led to serious sponsorship, and today, he holds a spot in NASCAR's Hall of Fame, while other, younger black drivers carry on.

Well done, sir!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-13-2023 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing