Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 05:54 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Deserves a thread of it's own. Has the perp been named.
They said he is known to police but has to be formally identified before he is named.
From what is being said it is not terror related. Sounds like mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 06:06 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
There's a lot of "interesting characters" that hang around the non-Westfield part of Bondi Junction, especially around Eastgate, drinking and arguing and generally looking quite mentally unstable. He looks like one of them. When I saw his face on the news I thought I had seen him around BJ. Yesterday I was walking through BJ going to the bank and I thought to myself "it's amazing none of these weirdos has stabbed someone."

Bondi Junction has always been a bit like that. Or at least since I can remember.

Anyway, I walked the dogs up to BJ because I couldn't sit still at home, and the car was in the carpark at Westfield, and we walked home together and have just had a quiet night on the couch. Missus seems to be OK.

Terrible for the families of the people who lost their lives.
I think you have a Services Australia (ie Centrelink) in BJ as well as the hospitals nearby. We see the same type of characters in Caringbah, and in Sutherland.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Mental illness or drug induced psychosis? Or a combination of both? Just amazing not more such incidents with the easy availability of drugs like Meth.

Most convenient to blame a mental illness. Especially when drugs are so riff in our community.

I had a meth head in Fremantle come up to me a month or so ago and asked me if I wanted a light. When informed don't smoke, he went off his head, screaming why di I ask him for a light, and went for me with his skate board (as a weapon) Not as abnormal as may first appear. Just comes out in different manifestations. If he was in position of a knife, I have little doubt he would have come at me with that.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:09 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
It may be obvious, but it's worth pointing out how big of a difference there is between the USA and Australia/New Zealand. It seems the biggest issues you see with any regularity are people on drugs acting bizarre. Here in the USA, you can check out YouTube pages like Police Activity to see the insane things happening here daily.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:30 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
It may be obvious, but it's worth pointing out how big of a difference there is between the USA and Australia/New Zealand. It seems the biggest issues you see with any regularity are people on drugs acting bizarre. Here in the USA, you can check out YouTube pages like Police Activity to see the insane things happening here daily.
Yeah, the opioid thing has never really taken off here the way it did in the US. That opioid addiction seems to be almost uniquely American. Probably a by-product of the unequal access to healthcare.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the opioid thing has never really taken off here the way it did in the US. That opioid addiction seems to be almost uniquely American. Probably a by-product of the unequal access to healthcare.
But the methamphetamine is consumed in Australia much more than elsewhere. Perth being the leading city in Australia followed by Adelaide. Poor man's cocaine they call it in The States. Too easy to make, just astounding as to the market though. Meanwhile cocaine use has gone up 55% in just one year. Meth thankfully up from memory around 25%.

Any ideas into why that is or indeed just why Australians adore taking drugs to such an extent.? Surely a reflection on our society and a lot wrong under the surface.

en

Old 04-16-2024, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
But the methamphetamine is consumed in Australia much more than elsewhere. Perth being the leading city in Australia followed by Adelaide. Poor man's cocaine they call it in The States. Too easy to make, just astounding as to the market though. Meanwhile cocaine use has gone up 55% in just one year. Meth thankfully up from memory around 25%.

Any ideas into why that is or indeed just why Australians adore taking drugs to such an extent.? Surely a reflection on our society and a lot wrong under the surface.

en
Have you been to America? It's a whole different ballgame to what happens in Australia. It's not even comparable.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Have you been to America? It's a whole different ballgame to what happens in Australia. It's not even comparable.
I've personally never experienced anything like what goes down in Perth. I don't mean the addicts on the street level which is far worse in UK and Netherlands, but the overwhelming meth economy which shocked me the most.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I've been told that WA Police have been or are about to be equipped with measures to counter the expected Fentanyl outbreak which is expected to hit these shores following the North American example.

I expect that would apply to other state police forces as well? I neglected to ask. I believe it is the usual medication used to reverse the effects of Fentanyl , that being Naloxone. Makes sense.

It seems a matter of not if, but when Fentanyl would hit these shores in quantity. UK appears to be bracing for its arrival as pretty much a certainty as well.

Average 200 deaths a day in The US due to this drug alone. The House Select Committee released a report on foreign (Chinese) involvement which made interesting, if not totally unsurprising reading.

I would imagine Australia is well placed to follow North America down this path. Hopefully the issue will receive the due attention it deserves .

Old 04-16-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I've been told that WA Police have been or are about to be equipped with measures to counter the expected Fentanyl outbreak which is expected to hit these shores following the North American example.

I expect that would apply to other state police forces as well? I neglected to ask. I believe it is the usual medication used to reverse the effects of Fentanyl , that being Naloxone. Makes sense.

It seems a matter of not if, but when Fentanyl would hit these shores in quantity. UK appears to be bracing for its arrival as pretty much a certainty as well.

Average 200 deaths a day in The US due to this drug alone. The House Select Committee released a report on foreign (Chinese) involvement which made interesting, if not totally unsurprising reading.

I would imagine Australia is well placed to follow North America down this path. Hopefully the issue will receive the due attention it deserves .
I doubt it. Fentanyl is an opioid that is hundreds of times more potent than heroin – it was created to provide breakthrough pain relief for people with terminal illness who had developed a tolerance to morphine and other powerful opioids.

America was primed for fentanyl because they had doctors handing out oxycodone for anything more serious than a headache and many people addicted to opioids. Oxycodone was the gateway drug to fentanyl. If you expose a bunch of meth addicts to even a small dose of fentanyl they are a good chance of dying before an ambulance with naltrexone has time to turn up.

Fentanyl is a terrible drug. Absolutely catastrophic what it does to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand