Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 01:54 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I'd say the term "Lucky Country is a relic of a time passed. Indeed the term was uttered 'tongue in cheek" by Horne in his book of the same name.

He did say Australia experienced luck in spite of itself . I think immigration in line with traditional numbers of 100,000 or there abouts is fine. It needs to be targeted though at meeting the true shortages and not willy nilly entrants who end up driving cabs, Uber, working in a supermarket of worse of all dealing in drugs (large number) that includes the manufacture of said drugs.
Driving cabs, Uber etc can often be “second jobs” too, as many people deal with the rising cost of living.
I came across an recent overseas immigrant on the Gold Coast recently, who could only work in Uber due to his limited English skills. (he was determined to improve on that though)
Many local and overseas students will also do this, as well as stacking shelves at night in supermarkets etc.
There’s very few “cash jobs” anymore too, which is probably a good thing.
Drugs are a separate issue again, and go into the illegal cash and money laundering economy and tax avoidance issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 12:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Driving cabs, Uber etc can often be “second jobs” too, as many people deal with the rising cost of living.
I came across an recent overseas immigrant on the Gold Coast recently, who could only work in Uber due to his limited English skills. (he was determined to improve on that though)
Many local and overseas students will also do this, as well as stacking shelves at night in supermarkets etc.
There’s very few “cash jobs” anymore too, which is probably a good thing.
Drugs are a separate issue again, and go into the illegal cash and money laundering economy and tax avoidance issues.
While I agree they are a separate issue, most relevant never the less. Cash or crypto and extremely widespread. Obviously impacts the economy, with so much non taxed money in the economy making it more expensive for those of us not dealing.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:15 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Cash is still king for 'boomers'... I use it and simply dont partake of the economy that has signs saying 'card only'
And if more of us purchased the latte and presented cash, and they refuse the transaction... well use ya feet and walk away.... They can tip it down the sink for all I care....

Old 01-10-2024, 03:46 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
But cash is a small part of overall payment these days. I'd suggest even among boomers. In my case, I held out for a long time, even paying considerably large amounts (several thousand $) in cash at times. It was in part against the fees imposed and a general dislike of cards. A decade and a half later, always ensure have a little cash on my person, but barely use it. I heard recently that in UK only something like 14% of payments are now made in cash transactions. Would it be more in Australia? Probably a bigger cash economy, but wonder if so much more so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand