Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2023, 08:43 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
We're looking to move out of the US, want to live somewhere with good infrastructure, happy people that don't mostly hate each other like they do here. We dislike the gun culture here, we dislike the constant fighting here. We like warm weather, we want cars to be optional, wife works in tech, i'm a family nurse practitioner.
Unlike the United States, other countries have strick immigration policies and their own set of issues.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 08:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Yes, but we lived next door to two doctors, she passed the exams necessary to work here. He was an anethesist and kept failing the exams. Never practised here. There are often a lot of things to do to get qualifications recognised.

Also I know someone with an honours degree in Medical Science who is finding it difficult to get a job, another RN battled with hundreds of applicants for a position in management nursing (sought because of the regular hours)

On the other hand, we have a drastic shortage of bus drivers in Sydney!
That is certainly not a problem isolated to Sydney, I can assure you of that.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Unlike the United States, other countries have strick immigration policies and their own set of issues.

You are the second person to say that, all i can Australia is not that strict at all if a person has skills and comes legally. - Illegally yes its a very different story.

30% of Australias resident population was born outside Australia, its the highest immigrant to total populaiton ratio in the devloped world . My mother and my wife are among that 30%

Old 09-19-2023, 11:29 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
You are the second person to say that, all i can Australia is not that strict at all if a person has skills and comes legally. - Illegally yes its a very different story.

30% of Australias resident population was born outside Australia, its the highest immigrant to total populaiton ratio in the devloped world . My mother and my wife are among that 30%
Almost. Australia comes in second behind Luxembourg. They have long led the pack in percent terms. Although small, they are certainly a developed country. (free public transport as well) I seem to recall 50% of population is born outside their borders. But it may well be more.

Australia is hardly difficult to get in. In fact it could well be termed far too easy. Not so much a question of illegal entry, as strictly speaking it is not illegal to seek asylum. I assume you may refer to that?. Those that apply after coming by plane experience a different outcome to those attempting to come in by boat.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Australia although not that hard to gain entry, most certainly does have its own set of issues. I witness it on a daily basis.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor987 View Post
How old are the two of you?
I would find someplace which has culture,history.
Some part of Europe.
If you still have to work,it is better to stay put.
Indeed. That's why I mentioned UK. There is a shortage of medical personal. They speak English. Can get by in many areas without a car. Short flight to the sun when need to escape the cold of winter. Closer to get back to The States.

Of course there are a few Euro countries offering a better lifestyle, but without the language far more difficult to establish. Especially if needing to work. Although not impossible.

Old 09-20-2023, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Almost. Australia comes in second behind Luxembourg. They have long led the pack in percent terms. Although small, they are certainly a developed country. (free public transport as well) I seem to recall 50% of population is born outside their borders. But it may well be more.

Australia is hardly difficult to get in. In fact it could well be termed far too easy. Not so much a question of illegal entry, as strictly speaking it is not illegal to seek asylum. I assume you may refer to that?. Those that apply after coming by plane experience a different outcome to those attempting to come in by boat.
Indeed it dose, though we both know luxemborg gets its immigrants becuase it part of the EU and is a tax haven which borders 3 other much larger EU nations. Of course Australia is not a tax haven, and has got a single visa free agreememt with one much smaller nation - New Zealand.

The second bolded I agree with, its clear the two posters who have said the opposite have no idea about how Australia is a natiion.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:32 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
US immigration policy is far more strict than Australia, especially at the moment. Just too bad they aren't tradies, they'd have a job in the morning lol

Old 09-20-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Indeed it dose, though we both know luxemborg gets its immigrants becuase it part of the EU and is a tax haven which borders 3 other much larger EU nations. Of course Australia is not a tax haven, and has got a single visa free agreememt with one much smaller nation - New Zealand.

The second bolded I agree with, its clear the two posters who have said the opposite have no idea about how Australia is a natiion.
Luxembourg a tax haven? Are you sure? It had a progressive tax system last time I looked. Hardly cheap either. Still highly attractive as figures show in attracting incomers.
Only other countries I can think of with per cent totals of population nearing Australian levels are Switzerland and Israel. Although Australia is moving away from them with the turbo immigration being experienced.

I would almost say Australia's immigration policy is something of a joke. Encouraging large elements into non productive means of earning. But regardless all activity will raise GDP levels regardless of legality of 'trade' being plied.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
US immigration policy is far more strict than Australia, especially at the moment. Just too bad they aren't tradies, they'd have a job in the morning lol
At airports it is but then you have large numbers entering through illegal border crossings. Probably fair to say, this method of entry has suppressed wages in a number of jobs over the decades.

I suspect we need a greater' intellectual' intake of migrant. One that may possess an ability to call out what is happening, hopefully posses scruples and demand accountability.

We have tradies as it is, who appear to decide how much they work, if at all, charge a fortune and appear to possess a high degree of entitlement.

Nothing to suggest, that further intakes of Irish or UK tradies would change much. A few around me from those countries have quit mining jobs (well paid, one may assume) to largely remain at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand