Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Protein intake going a long way towards explaining weight gain? Are you sure? Protein actually assists in weight loss and is healthy. I'd suggest the decline in manual work, the sudatory lifestyle, (too much sitting) fast foods, all contribute to declining health along with increasing poverty . Of course the growing weight shame movement make for risky outcomes for those in search of quick fixes as well.

One may conclude if the 'black' economy was not as large as it is, things like house prices would behave more in accordance to normal times with regards to pricing. Especially in times of rising interest rates.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Protein intake going a long way towards explaining weight gain? Are you sure?
Yes. Protein, especially meat and dairy, is calorie dense. People who consume a lot of calorie dense food tend to overeat. There's plenty of research out there on the link between obesity and meat consumption. Yes, I understand that protein can make you feel fuller, but it's a lot harder to get fat eating bowls of pasta with vegetables than it is eating McWhopper Bacon Deluxes. The probelm is that as humans we are hardwired to take more pleasure from eating calorie rich foods like meat and butter.

The sedentary lifestyle probably explains part of it, but people in wealthy countries consume something like 400-500 more calories per day than they did 50 years ago. There's the problem. It's not as though the French and the southern Europeans are out tilling fields all day.

Old Today, 01:27 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well it more likely explained by the need to wait 12.3 years in Sydney to save enough for a deposit.

Back in the day university was free as well. Plenty of part time jobs to ease the burden and life was simpler, not so much entitlement, or expecting to have the standard of material possessions , for example cars, that many young drive these days. Life is far more ostentatious in what one has and indeed a measurement as to worth in the sense of class.
University was only free for a few years, not when we went through. And actually in Sydney, part-time jobs were limited. I worked at David Jones in the long uni breaks at Christmas but we had to work the full 40 hours, most casuals were only working the few weeks before Christmas.

I think we were still materialistic, we (all my friends) all got our drivers licence the week we turned 17.

But one social change comes to mind. My cousin married for the first time at 27 and considered herself too old to be a bride and wore a simple evening dress.

Old Today, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yes. Protein, especially meat and dairy, is calorie dense. People who consume a lot of calorie dense food tend to overeat. There's plenty of research out there on the link between obesity and meat consumption. Yes, I understand that protein can make you feel fuller, but it's a lot harder to get fat eating bowls of pasta with vegetables than it is eating McWhopper Bacon Deluxes. The probelm is that as humans we are hardwired to take more pleasure from eating calorie rich foods like meat and butter.

The sedentary lifestyle probably explains part of it, but people in wealthy countries consume something like 400-500 more calories per day than they did 50 years ago. There's the problem. It's not as though the French and the southern Europeans are out tilling fields all day.
May be in part those pheasant genes so many of the French have, being only a few generations removed from the land?

Or maybe the French tendency to eat smaller portions over a longer period?

I did not notice many vegetarians when I lived in France. In fact Beef Steak was considered the national dish and very readily consumed as Plate of the Day at a reduced price.

Italians? Quite a lot over weight people of a certain age. Especially women. This may have changed over the decades. I will observe later in the year when there.

Things like Bacon, is never healthy, but then hard to resist a Bacon and Egg
sarnie when in England. British bacon being so much better than the stuff out here.

Old Today, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
University was only free for a few years, not when we went through. And actually in Sydney, part-time jobs were limited. I worked at David Jones in the long uni breaks at Christmas but we had to work the full 40 hours, most casuals were only working the few weeks before Christmas.

I think we were still materialistic, we (all my friends) all got our drivers licence the week we turned 17.

But one social change comes to mind. My cousin married for the first time at 27 and considered herself too old to be a bride and wore a simple evening dress.
Australians were always in my living memory materialistic. That was one of the things England was so refreshing for.

But I meant the change to wanting the best. I see it with young around me. SUV's and so on, when in my day, it would have been a second/third hand Holden with considerable miles on the clock .

I suspect the conservative nature of a lot of Australians led to a strong degree of conformity . Possibly the girls more?

As for drivers licence, yes generally true, but all part of that conformity. Australian cities and towns due to there outlay, lend themselves to car considered necessity.

Besides be close to impossible to get a girl friend without one.

In contrast, when landed in London as a teenager, never had a car all those years there. Most all I knew did not either, and at that time few could drive. I knew a lot in their thirties that didn't drive.

Obviously a car in London or Amsterdam is a hinderance (as I expect still is) and great public transport makes it easier without one. Rather liberating.

Old Today, 01:55 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
This thread is now way off topic and will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand