Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Public Holidays for Australia?
Yes 9 60.00%
No 2 13.33%
An Indigenous one only 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:30 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,944,794 times

Advertisements

It does appear that a replacement day for the present Australia Day is gathering momentum. Big W and Woolworths are not stocking Australia Day merchandise as in previous years.

The Australia Day fireworks have been down graded to an early evening laser show with symbolic fireworks. Not long ago here in Perth, it was a major draw card, attracting hundreds of thousands.

There were a few negative events a decade back that probably saw the writing on the wall as to its continuation. For example flag clad youth attacking police one year, along with some racist attacks and/or verbal abuse of some from other parts.

I'm a little surprised how quietly it was dismantled as well as the ease of doing so. Possibly an indicator of the rather compliant nature of many Australians?

This year there continues a First Nation music event in a park in the city, which will attend. Actually in previous such events, have heard some very decent bands. Shame don't seem to catch them or hear of them playing at other venues, in the main in Perth, at other times of the year.

I wonder just which date would replace 26 January as the National Day? Jan 1 would be the natural replacement but hardy ideal being already a public holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 11:17 PM

419 posts, read 220,015 times
Australia Day sucks!
The First Nations community deserves something better, and January 26 can be a Memorial Day for all the First Nations lives lost and destroyed, and we can have a seperate holiday that can unite all Australians, whether indigenous, immigrant or whitefella
That can be the new “Australia Day”
Also, I think we can scrap Rememberance Day too, having 3 memorial days would make our country too negative, so we can have First Nations Memorial Day (January 26) and ANZAC Day (April 25).
Australia Day as we know it is dead, and that’s good

Old 01-26-2024, 12:35 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Australia Day sucks!
The First Nations community deserves something better, and January 26 can be a Memorial Day for all the First Nations lives lost and destroyed, and we can have a seperate holiday that can unite all Australians, whether indigenous, immigrant or whitefella
Also, I think we can scrap Rememberance Day too, having 3 memorial days would make our country too negative, so we can have First Nations Memorial Day (January 26) and ANZAC Day (April 25).
The bottom line is that the whole Australia day debate just divideds the country, and a January 26th Memorial day holiday is not going to fix that one bit.

No national holdiay is the best option in my opnion.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:08 AM

1,223 posts, read 720,811 times
Quote:
Australia Day sucks!
Ya reckon ?
Keep thinking that champ....
Or did the Voice thing pass you by....
Another generation ( after the Boomers die off ) before any meaningful changes... and even then I seriously wonder....

Old 01-26-2024, 02:32 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Well we have spent Australia Day entirely at home, watching the tennis and cricket. Except husband did venture out to tend to daughter’s pool as they are away!

I don’t care what is decided or not decided. But cannot see any agreement happening, especially if it is decided to abolish the holiday and add a working day to the calendar.

By the way, Remembrance Day is not a holiday in Australia. It is observed in schools, workplaces etc for a few minutes. Do you want to take that away from us too?

Old 01-26-2024, 02:47 AM

Australia Day has become a bunch of right wingers bitching about the “damn leftists”, saying that it’s ok to support a day where a genocide started, if that day was never there, the First Nations community wouldn’t be what it is today. They would have equal rights, be just as successful as Whites and would have no racial trauma. We need a day we can all get behind, and celebrate Australia.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:23 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Australia Day has become a bunch of right wingers bitching about the “damn leftists”, saying that it’s ok to support a day where a genocide started, if that day was never there, the First Nations community wouldn’t be what it is today. They would have equal rights, be just as successful as Whites and would have no racial trauma. We need a day we can all get behind, and celebrate Australia.
More like its become a day where the majority don't want to step outside and enjoy the day off, because they want nothing to do with the stupid extremist polotics of either side

Its not the far right that are beheading capitan cook statues, forcing the evacuation of the GABBA and shouting expletives at totoally innocent people who dare show an Australian flag on our national day you know?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-26-2024 at 03:58 AM..

Old 01-26-2024, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Had Australia not been colonised by the British it would have been colonised by another European country. It is just the way the world was at that time. The original inhabitants would never have been left to live the way they were living. Sicily and Malta and other parts of Europe have had different invaders and colonisers for thousands of years.

It seems we are not supposed to celebrate our country any more. I am descended from three convicts and I doubt if they chose to come here. And I cannot choose to go back “where I came from” as my last non Australian born ancestor arrived in the country, at the age of two, around 1900.

I am born and bred Australian, whether I and the First Nations like it or not, and it is a real pity if I have to be ashamed of it.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Had Australia not been colonised by the British it would have been colonised by another European country. It is just the way the world was at that time. The original inhabitants would never have been left to live the way they were living. Sicily and Malta and other parts of Europe have had different invaders and colonisers for thousands of years.

It seems we are not supposed to celebrate our country any more. I am descended from three convicts and I doubt if they chose to come here. And I cannot choose to go back “where I came from” as my last non Australian born ancestor arrived in the country, at the age of two, around 1900.

I am born and bred Australian, whether I and the First Nations like it or not, and it is a real pity if I have to be ashamed of it.
I literally say we should celebrate, just on a different day ALL Australians can celebrate, “Australia Day” is a white-only holiday and celebrates First Nations genocide.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:33 PM

White-only holiday? Are you including all our citizens of Asian, African and every other descent (other than Indigenous) in your definition of white?

Perhaps you can give us your suggestion of an appropriate day to celebrate? The often suggested day of federation is problematic as it is 1st January which is already a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand