Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM

92 posts, read 162,096 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NationalHills in the mid to late 1960's. I remember riding my bicycle to the National Hills Shopping Center.They had bicycle racks at either end of the center. You could leave your bike in the rack, never worrying about locking it, and no one would bother it.
I remember the Rex Toy store..great model cars and airplanes.
The soda fountain at the National Hills drug store, where you could get a Coke for a dime and a candy bar for a nickel.
Woolworth's,J B White and the A & P. There was a goldfish pond on the side of the A & P in front of the movie theatre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 14,720 times
Default Anderson's and Misty Waters

I was born and raised in Augusta and have such fond memories of Misty Waters. My friends and I would swim there every summer. Music by WBBQ and a concession stand that had all of the teenage foods that we loved and we never gained a pound! Just try that today! Was it eventually closed due to a drowning? Anderson's pool was a great place to swim as well but not as memorable as Misty Waters, at least for me.

My childhood home was adjacent to the Augusta Mall and I would watch the July 4th fireworks from my Mom's front porch. I sure miss all of that. I could walk to the mall from my house.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 14,720 times
There was a place called Buffalo Ranch in South Augusta where kids could walk and pet different animals. I took my children there.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,094 times
Ah..good ole Augusta. I remember most of the sites and sounds mentioned in the thread so far. I was born in '70 at the old Fort Gordon Hospital. It's nothing but a field now a block away from the current hospital. Anderson's, what a place, It was my get away from everything. My family had our reunion there in '79. I remember when the Regency Mall opened. It was THE place to hag out. Had my first kiss outside of Montgomery Ward. Spent a lot of time in the Harrisburg neighborhood. My Dad was the bartender at the back room. A small dive on the back of a liquor store on Broad. The best hamburgers in town were served at the Whataburger on Broad just the other side of the canal from King's Mill. Lake Ohlmstead used to have skiing competitions and remote control boat races. Miss all the beautiful houses up Walton Way towards Augusta College (now Augusta State). Trips up to Clark's Hill and Pauly's Marina or West Dam. Was always a party on the weekends up there. Red wing Rollerway on Washington rd. Spent more time in that place than anywhere else, going out to the strip of woods next door to drink schnapps and skating buzzed out. I remember when Columbia county was still a dry county. I live out on the west coast now, but I miss my hometown. ARC class of '87.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
WoW! !!!! The good ole days

Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
My dad told me about when he was a kid (around the 1970's) that there was some sort of small zoo way out in South Augusta, he showed me the building one day, there were paintings of animals on it, I don't remember what road it was though, maybe Peach Orchard or Windsor Spring road? He said there were lions or tigers and other animals there.

Also, I was driving out in South Augusta one day going to some bbq place way out in the country (again, I don't exactly remember the road I was on, maybe one of those I listed above), and I remember driving past what appeared to be an old wooden roller coaster. Not sure what that was all about.

If anyone knows about either of these things, I'd love to hear about it.
Yes the zoo was on Hwy 25, that is Peach Orchard Rd. Remember it from when I was a kid. The bldg. is still there with the animals on it. Hope they never tear it down, it was a real part of my childhood, visited there many times.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
There still a urban legend that some of the animals escaped .

Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 12,042 times
My birthday cake came from Smoaks' bakery every year! 6 layer (thin layers)
yellow cake with lemon filling!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,042 times
Was one of my FAVORITE places!

Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Yeah my mom used to love Smoak's. I'm still surprised they went out of business as they always did good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area