Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Hey yall, I got a few:

Dunkin Dine by Wieuca on Roswell Rd
Ogletrees/Brunos (It was like the "highend" grocery store)
Ballyhoos Dance Club (lots of good times there!)
Baja Beach Club haha!
Clarence Fosters (right across the street by Disco Kroger)
The wrestling ring at Good Ole Days
The Prado St. Pattys Day Parties!
Buckhead Mens Shop (In Buckhead)
The old Arcade at Perimeter Mall
Mini Golf place at the Marshalls Plaza on roswell Rd Sandy Springs
Parkaire Ice Skating Rink built into the Kroger in East Cobb
HA! My sister's car (a red VW convertible) was stolen from the parking lot at Clarence Foster's. Everytime I pass that parking lot, I think of her calling my parents in a complete mental breakdown b/c she thought she'd lost her car. The police found it completely stripped somewhere in S. Atlanta the next day.

Good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM

513 posts, read 1,631,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You might be interested to know that there's a 688/Metroplex "reunion show" at the Masquerade Music Park with tons of bands on Oct. 4.
Thanks, already saw that and it looks pretty cool. A few bands playing that I haven't seen since their heyday (I'd LOVE to see Mary My Hope again). Probably won't attend because of our toddler, but it's a neat idea.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
I have one no one has mentioned....anyone remember Harlow's on Memorial Drive in Stn Mtn, behind the K-Mart? Saw some good bands there in the mid-80's.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
My two older brothers were at Georgia Tech and Georgia State respectively and they helped me to a bunch of 'firsts' when I was a pimply teen in the 70's (just re-read that, please keep mind out of the gutter!)

Trader Engs across Peachtree from the Hyatt and North a bit: My first Hibachi Japanese dining experience

And I can't remember the exact name, but there was a deli in Ansley Mall something like Schipfifers, had my first Reuben Sandwich there and is still one of my favorites, think of that place everytime I have one.

Had my first sip of alcohol at lunch with them at I believe was called The Library on either Ivy or Courtland just north of GSU.

Used to go to the Flames games back then too, haven't been able to warm up to the Thrasher's as much.

This thread has really had my head spinning trying to remember more.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Had my first sip of alcohol at lunch with them at I believe was called The Library on either Ivy or Courtland just north of GSU.
The Library was still there in the late 1980s when I worked for an ad agency in the Hurt Building around the corner from it.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
My place was HArry's in a Hurry!!I loved that place in Virginia Highlands

Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Anyone remember Cub Foods? When they first came to Atlanta, it was a whole new way to grocery shop. That was before Sam's Club, Costco, etc.
Cub has a very strong presence in the Twin Cities, but it should since that's where it's based. I'm surprised they tried to expand this far south.

Frankly, I'd rather see Byerly's down here, but that won't happen (it's too small to expand like that).

Old 09-19-2008, 09:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Dang Neil, I was about to mention Cub Foods, oh well. I remember hearing about it closing because Osama (the terrorist guy) was a part owner or something crazy like that.
No, it's a subsidiary of SuperValu. I suspect they pulled out because of the strength of the competition down here (Publix and Kroger are quite large, and Walmart is a very tough competitor in its own right).

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM

23,441 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I have one no one has mentioned....anyone remember Harlow's on Memorial Drive in Stn Mtn, behind the K-Mart? Saw some good bands there in the mid-80's.
I do! A couple of other great music venues:

Hemingways (at Lawrenceville Hwy and N Druid Hills Rd)
Harvest Moon Saloon (Piedmont Rd)

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I liked Peaches Records and Tapes on Peachtree down the hill from Piedmont Hospital. Maybe the store wasn't that great, but wearing the T shirt made me feel less a dork as a teen ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta