Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:36 AM

5,580 posts, read 3,981,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Teens (especially young ones and preteens) who have access to social media don't have the mental capacity to only view it as a tool. It's part of their life, everyday from sun up to sun down. Maybe for you it's a tool, but for many youngsters it's much more than that. And it's ruining lives.
Agree with you on this topic. It's one of the few areas where I find myself agreeing with Republicans (who seem to be more likely to introduce legislation banning social media use before age X)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 09:40 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,291,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You don't think your desire to change played some subconscious role in whatever it was you experienced at that non-denominational Christian church?

I was religious for the first 18 years of my life (and genuinely so, not just nominally), so I've experienced belief and all that it offers. Quite honestly, I was happier as a believer than I have been in my 19 years as an atheist. Now, correlation not equaling causation is statistics 101, but I would say that losing faith caused me anxiety that had lasting, permanent-as-of-now psychological effects. That said, intellectual honesty is not about believing what we wish were true, it's about what the evidence, or lack thereof, dictates.

One time a couple summers ago, a Muslim recent college grad stopped me in a local park and asked if I'd be interested in discussing personal beliefs about the existence of god. He had a camera set up on a tripod nearby; he planned on filming the conversation and putting it on YouTube. We talked for about an hour, half of which was successfully recorded. I forget a lot of what was said, but one thing I remember telling him is that I'm an empiricist. Which I am, but I've never declared that 'in real life' before or since. There's going to have to be compelling proof for me to believe something. If I do believe in something with inadequate supporting evidence, I want that inadequacy to be pointed out, demonstrated if I'm for whatever reason blind to it. I've been this way ever since I chose to major in philosophy in college, and it's how I'll remain for the rest of my (lucid) life.

Believing in god is exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, with such a mindset.

Now, granted, there have been a few cases in physics where theoretical knowledge has preceded observation. The Higgs boson is the most famous case. It was known to be necessary to exist, but for a while it wasn't directly observed. These rare exceptions serve to prove the empiricism rule--the scientists at the Large Hadron Collider still wanted empirical proof, even though the Higgs boson's existence was 'known' beforehand
I think we have free will. So yes, I think it was a combination of both.

Religion is about so much more than just your belief in God. It's about being involved in community with people who share the same beliefs and values. It's incredibly welcoming (at least my church is), we have people of all ages, races, etc. I think this is one of the most overlooked aspects of being religious. I constantly read articles lately about how isolating and lonely life has become. True friends are hard to come by. Everyone is so self-consumed.

I have made life long friends at church. We see each other weekly. Have get-togethers with our families. And we all share the same values and outlook on life. It's such an amazing experience.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:42 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,291,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Agree with you on this topic. It's one of the few areas where I find myself agreeing with Republicans (who seem to be more likely to introduce legislation banning social media use before age X)
Not a republican, though. Libertarian who is voting for RFK Jr. How's that for blowing your mind?

Old 04-11-2024, 10:19 AM

5,580 posts, read 3,981,043 times
Quote:
Not a republican, though. Libertarian who is voting for RFK Jr. How's that for blowing your mind?
Wasn't saying you were, as I know nothing about you beyond what you've shared in the thread. I was just speaking generally; wasn't intended to be personal

Old 04-11-2024, 01:48 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,612,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In my observation, less religious with age is more common.
That has been my experience. Or add "open to other religions and philosophies".

Old 04-13-2024, 02:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 13,578,293 times
Quote:
Teens (especially young ones and preteens) who have access to social media don't have the mental capacity to only view it as a tool. It's part of their life, everyday from sun up to sun down. Maybe for you it's a tool, but for many youngsters it's much more than that. And it's ruining lives.
IDK that I'd limit it to ruining the lives of youngsters. Famously, the guy who used to work for FaceBook who invented the "Like" regrets that so much that he's devoted his life to explaining why. Every "like" is a tiny, addictive little dopamine "hit". He believes it is rewiring people's brains on a massive scale, based on subsequent research. Making them more impulsive, passive, docile, etc.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:15 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,863,521 times
I've become less religious with age.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:20 PM

11,662 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Retirees often have more time on their hands, especially mid-week. It also gets harder to make new friends, especially after relocation to a new area. Going to some type of religious service can sometimes provide instant community with people that share something in common. My Hindu friends have become more involved at the Yoga/Hindu temple/center, my Christian friends have become more involved with their various churches, and so forth.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 13,578,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Retirees often have more time on their hands, especially mid-week. It also gets harder to make new friends, especially after relocation to a new area. Going to some type of religious service can sometimes provide instant community with people that share something in common. My Hindu friends have become more involved at the Yoga/Hindu temple/center, my Christian friends have become more involved with their various churches, and so forth.
Someone or other around here suggested I might be interested in the "compassion course". My wife and I decide to sign up for it today (compassioncourse.org). It's one of the alternate ways to meet like minded people in an ideologically neutral fashion that transcends politics or religion (mostly, although I doubt the politically or religiously conservative would be very likely to get very far embracing "non-violent communication" once they understood that it would challenge too many of their cherished assumptions).

My point being, that as you age, you become more frail and have more of a need to circle the wagons and have a protective community around you. That comes baked into many religious practices, but if those aren't working for you, it's necessary to find various alternatives, and they DO exist.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:52 PM

51,054 posts, read 24,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've become less religious with age.
I've become different religious with age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism