Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 09:01 PM

895 posts, read 474,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I attribute all such misunderstandings of me and my attitudes to my seemingly haughty and insensitive professorial communication skills. They are a hard habit to break.
You wouldn't be the first nor last intellectual to have a disproportionate development of field of study knowledge to social graces and manners. To be so lost in your focus such as to assume your self an island of expertise is a derivative behavior, which is why I asked. In my observations blustering and peacocking seldom achieve as much as either cooperative conversation or overwhelming force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 12:13 PM

323 posts, read 135,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I attribute all such misunderstandings of me and my attitudes to my seemingly haughty and insensitive professorial communication skills.
So it's not your exceptional humbleness?

Old 02-01-2024, 02:43 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
So it's not your exceptional humbleness?
I readily admit I have never been called "humble."

Old 02-02-2024, 04:28 PM

948 posts, read 920,480 times
I was raised by an Atheist, who switched to calling himself an Agnostic. He explained it to me that Atheists have a strong conviction that there is no god, but Agnostics believe it is possible.

When people ask me what I mean when I say "agnostic", I say that I do not believe in god, but believe that "anything's possible".

But then if there is a god, which god is it? The world is filled with gods from many different cultures, of different parts of the world and different time periods. Some cultures have one god, and some have many. If there is a god (or gods), maybe that god is not even worshipped anymore? How can we know?

That being said, the idea of a supernatural deity (or deities) creating the world and overseeing everything we do is not logical, so there probably isn't any. But anything's possible.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:34 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I was raised by an Atheist, who switched to calling himself an Agnostic. He explained it to me that Atheists have a strong conviction that there is no god, but Agnostics believe it is possible.

When people ask me what I mean when I say "agnostic", I say that I do not believe in god, but believe that "anything's possible".

But then if there is a god, which god is it? The world is filled with gods from many different cultures, of different parts of the world and different time periods. Some cultures have one god, and some have many. If there is a god (or gods), maybe that god is not even worshipped anymore? How can we know?

That being said, the idea of a supernatural deity (or deities) creating the world and overseeing everything we do is not logical, so there probably isn't any. But anything's possible.

Yes. That's all worth saying. There is in fact a practical difference between the logical position re. agnosticism and atheism (agnosticism - 'we don't know for sure whether there is a god or not' - atheism 'so we will not believe the claim until we do know''
. Which is the rock -solid logical position.

And what people actually say, think and do. Your reading of 'atheism' (pretty certain there ain't no God' and 'agnosticism'which may be read as more acceptable to the idea, is something we get. There is also irreligious theism which sometimes gets called 'agnosticism', and they and atheists should get along fine.In fact irreligious theists are some of the worst god -apologists I come across. Perhaps because (Bible gone) it is their last ditch.

Bottom line, provided the logical proposition of agnostic -based atheism is understood (and not misrepresented as a claim to 100% knowledge (which is a logically untenable position) rthis or that atheist can think and say what they like, right or wrong, and may expect to be called on it.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:43 AM

895 posts, read 474,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post

Lots of people who don't know what they are talking about have their own ideas about what the 2 words mean without doing the research about the origins. And no matter how many times it gets spelled out they insist on using incorrect definitions.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:01 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Lots of people who don't know what they are talking about have their own ideas about what the 2 words mean without doing the research about the origins. And no matter how many times it gets spelled out they insist on using incorrect definitions.

This idea - 'agnostic - open minded position on a god,atheist closed -minded denial of god' wa universal. Websters actually used that definition (changed it now) and I thought so, too until I joined an atheist forum and had that slapped out of me

I can't recall where I got this idea and I suppose others can't remember either, but I'll bet it is a logical misrepresentation put about by the religious.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:37 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
It's possible to have such an open mind that your brain falls out.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:01 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This idea - 'agnostic - open minded position on a god,atheist closed -minded denial of god' wa universal. Websters actually used that definition (changed it now) and I thought so, too until I joined an atheist forum and had that slapped out of me

I can't recall where I got this idea and I suppose others can't remember either, but I'll bet it is a logical misrepresentation put about by the religious.
That is my suspicion also, although it could also just be the general increase in sloppy thinking in the past generation or two. Assuming that's not traceable back to religion also.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:15 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's possible to have such an open mind that your brain falls out.
You'd be dead then...

And you would either know the entire truth..... or know nothing at all.

Unless of course there is soul sleep... which would mean you would know nothing at all for a while and THEN you would know the entire truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism