Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 06:00 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My criticism is that your answer seemed rather flip.
Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 07:42 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Please explain.
Did you ever work with kids?
Do you really understand what reincarnation is?
Do you realize that most people who believe in reincarnation DON'T remember a past life?

Old 11-03-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Do you realize that most people who believe in reincarnation DON'T remember a past life?
Nope

Old 11-03-2023, 07:51 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Secular Humanist aphorisms, copied from Free Inquiry periodical:

*Express an affirmative attitude toward others and ourselves.
* Compliment people if they do well; be polite, honest, and considerate.
* Focus on the best in individuals, not their faults or shortcomings.
* Applaud people's achievements, appreciate their creativity, respect their uniqueness.
* Learn to forgive and forget, to heal and respect, to modify and improve.
* Learn to make exceptions, be flexible.
* Be willing to change your mind and to admit when you are wrong.
* Try to help others if you can; be pleased if they succeed.
* Abandon jealousy, hatred, cynicism, revenge, or greed.
* Enjoy life, lessen your complaints, point out life's beauty or value, not its imperfections.
* Instead of bemoaning your fate or blaming others, pitch in and try to improve the situation.
* Seek to better the human condition, be constructive.
* Recognize that no one is perfect.
* Accept people for what they are, including their idiosyncrasies.
* Respect innovation, individuality, creativity, honest dissent.
* Have the courage of your convictions; do not be afraid to express them.
* Exude a cheerful, optimistic, affirmative attitude, especially where conditions warrant it.
* Focus on potential good, not possible evil, honor not betrayal, collegiality not hatred, justice not injustice.
* Hold people accountable if they have been immoral; protect those they harm; ask for reparations if they are due be merciful and understanding.
* Compromise differences, negotiate solutions.
* Avoid violence or force and seek a peaceful resolution of differences.
* Try to find common ground, shared moral principles, and values upon which we can stand and unite.
Nice. I feel good just reading the list. Thank you for sharing this. It is the pathway to know the self, and to gain contentment.

Last edited by cb2008; 11-03-2023 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-04-2023, 05:52 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
However, and this is what I assumed she was getting it, it's a thing that a few very young children say things that seem to indicate they are remembering something from a past life. It happened in my family. My niece is 44 and does not remember the odd things she said when she was 3 or so, and there is no way to verify anything, so it just remains a family story.

My own kid never said anything that could be construed as remembering a past life.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:08 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
However, and this is what I assumed she was getting it, it's a thing that a few very young children say things that seem to indicate they are remembering something from a past life. It happened in my family. My niece is 44 and does not remember the odd things she said when she was 3 or so, and there is no way to verify anything, so it just remains a family story.

My own kid never said anything that could be construed as remembering a past life.
Mary Roach's book "Spook" talks about young kids in India who talk about their wives and children and jobs, which are believed to be evidence of reincarnation. They sometimes look for families which match the child's "memories," and often find a possible match.

Roach makes the point that Indians believe in reincarnation, so they think these memories are evidence of it, while people who don't believe in that interpret them as childish imagination.

My kid brother told us stories of "Big," his friend who helped him. We called Big an imaginary friend. Someone in India might have gone looking for Big, and found someone who seemed close enough.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Mary Roach's book "Spook" talks about young kids in India who talk about their wives and children and jobs, which are believed to be evidence of reincarnation. They sometimes look for families which match the child's "memories," and often find a possible match.

Roach makes the point that Indians believe in reincarnation, so they think these memories are evidence of it, while people who don't believe in that interpret them as childish imagination.

My kid brother told us stories of "Big," his friend who helped him. We called Big an imaginary friend. Someone in India might have gone looking for Big, and found someone who seemed close enough.
It would have to be an unbiased person looking.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:59 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It would have to be an unbiased person looking.
Duh, exactly what I was saying.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Duh, exactly what I was saying.
My bad.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:39 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Yep. Confirmation bias and motivated reasoning for the win.

What is more ordinary than children pretending or fantasizing around jobs and families? My wife has told me that when she was a toddler she had mentally picked out the towels that would be hanging in the bathroom she would share with her future husband. But if she had grown up in a family that ardently believed in reincarnation and she shared any of these thoughts or fantasies with the adults, they would probably tend to ask questions or make assumptions that suggest these things are not an imagined future but a remembered past. Children want to please their caregivers and so would helpfully agree. in short order they'd likely believe it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism