Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 06:26 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes.

Sorry, my bad. What I was referring to was the ability to use metaphors/words. I think it is quite fascinating that somebody can put into words my own experiences and feelings.

I appreciate the warm response, though. Thank you.
Welcome. I'm always trying to make a positive contribution to get common understanding, even if it sometimes looks negative.

The 'Spiritual thing seems hugely blunderbuss. It seems to encompass everything that isn't..well purely technical but even then the ideas, the achievement, the life enhancement. In fact everything humans do is in the Spiritual sphere. If it's positive I suppose. The bad is not spiritual, I'd guess.

But yes imagery, ideas and the way we communicate them. That's all part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 09:30 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
In a sense he does, yes. Sea glass is tiny smooth pebbles of colored glass, that used to be other things, such as bottles, and other glass objects from shipwrecks and so on, that are tumbled around by the action of the sea over decades and washed up onshore.
Not in a sense. I collect sea glass. Real sea glass...

https://seaglassassociation.org/genuine-vs-artificial/

There is a beach up by Fort Bragg that used to be a dump. Where they dumped all their trash at the water's edge for years and years. Finally they cleaned it up of all the trash they could. All the washing machines, old tires, kitchen sinks and all the rest. What remained where all the bottles of all colors that were eventually broken up and polished by the surf. 24/7 day after day for decades, so that now if you go to this beach, the sand is covered with small pieces of polished glass. If you know just where to go and if you go at just the right time, the sun illuminates all the polished glass to create a scene like no other. I came home with a bucket or two of this beautiful stuff that I use for various purposes. To surround plants in some of my plant pots outside. I have a tall round glass container on the sink counter in my bathroom full of nothing but sea glass that I have collected over the years.

https://inspiredimperfection.com/adv...s/glass-beach/

There is also a beach not too far a drive north from where I live where a river meets the ocean there. Up the river there used to be a glass blowing studio until during a severe winter storm the studio was washed into the river. All kinds of colored glass where swept down the river and deposited down river onto the beach. That was many years ago, but still to this day you can go to that beach and find people searching for pieces of that ocean polished glass that is considered prize stuff. I have only a small handful from there, because it's hard to find any, but on a good day at low tide after a storm has churned up the sand there, you sometimes get lucky and find a piece or two.

I think its pretty stuff anyway...

Old 11-29-2023, 02:41 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Thank you. I didn't know about that. It's broken glass that gets eroded to make safe edges and it is used to make jewellery, pictures and plaques. I watched a couple of videos and it looks fun, and cleans up beach trash, too. I have learned something.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you. I didn't know about that. It's broken glass that gets eroded to make safe edges and it is used to make jewellery, pictures and plaques. I watched a couple of videos and it looks fun, and cleans up beach trash, too. I have learned something.
You are most welcome!

Here is another that includes mention of Davenport. The beach I previously mentioned just north of here where one might still find sea glass from the studio that was washed into the river/sea after a heavy storm many decades ago. Note the picture of the special sea glass that can still be found there...

https://www.beachcombingmagazine.com...s-davenport-ca

Here too is another picture of the kind of "gems" you can find on the beach at Davenport...

https://adventuresportsjournal.com/sea-glass/

Old 11-30-2023, 02:22 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I've been to Glass Beach, have a handful of souvenirs.

There's a similar spot on Suisun Bay, inland from San Francisco Bay. We've kayaked to it several times, it's like an antique store exploded. I've found whole bottles, doll parts, loads of colored glass, and so much china. I collected enough Old Blue Willow plate bits and rims for a two foot diameter table. All the edges gently rounded.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've been to Glass Beach, have a handful of souvenirs.

There's a similar spot on Suisun Bay, inland from San Francisco Bay. We've kayaked to it several times, it's like an antique store exploded. I've found whole bottles, doll parts, loads of colored glass, and so much china. I collected enough Old Blue Willow plate bits and rims for a two foot diameter table. All the edges gently rounded.
Ah! I used to go boating all the time with a friend on the Delta but it's been a long while since those days. I just crossed the Benicia-Martinez Bridge coming home the other day. Which as you know overlooks Suisun Bay. Where they used to keep the "Mothball Fleet." I was tempted to stop and have a look at Benicia after many years now since last enjoying that cute little town. Our first home as a married couple was in Martinez very close to there.

I would love to check out that spot on Suisun Bay! Unfortunately it's a bit of a drive from where we live now but next time I'm near there again. Where exactly is this beach and can you get there other than by kayak?

Old 12-01-2023, 07:55 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ah! I used to go boating all the time with a friend on the Delta but it's been a long while since those days. I just crossed the Benicia-Martinez Bridge coming home the other day. Which as you know overlooks Suisun Bay. Where they used to keep the "Mothball Fleet." I was tempted to stop and have a look at Benicia after many years now since last enjoying that cute little town. Our first home as a married couple was in Martinez very close to there.

I would love to check out that spot on Suisun Bay! Unfortunately it's a bit of a drive from where we live now but next time I'm near there again. Where exactly is this beach and can you get there other than by kayak?
I'm not sure exactly where it is, haven't been in 20 years. Boat only, at the time, working your way through channels... Left, right, right, left, right--I was in charge of remembering that part.

Probably condos there now.

Edited to add,
This might be the put-in, it's in the right area. But this doesn't mention the dump, which was kind of a secret.

NAME: Marina Vista/Pacheco Creek
DESCRIPTION: Launch into creek under bridge. Good one-way trip to Martinez Marina on ebb tide.
REWARDS: mothball fleet nearby across Suisun Bay, Seal Islands, Benicia-Martinez bridge
HAZARDS: industrial pollution, heavy winds in summer, avoid low tide put-in or take-out (incredibly muddy!)
BEST/WORST TIME TO VISIT: best during calm winter days. Worst summer--heat and wind too much
DIECTIONS: I 680 north to marina vista exit right on waterfront Road to Pacheco Creek last bridge before refinery

Last edited by steiconi; 12-01-2023 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-02-2023, 07:02 AM

157 posts, read 47,728 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism