Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 03:25 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,730,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You're both right, it just depends where you are. In The Netherlands, if there are no signs, or lights, the traffic on the outer lane of the circle must yield the the car approaching to enter the roundabout on your right.

However most I believe have Yield signs so that the car entering the roundabout yields to the traffic in it.
Yeah, my joke was based on how we used to discuss rotaries years ago in MA. I did just look up on Google maps and the biggest rotary I used to use (Rt 2 Cambridge) and it's been removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 05:33 PM

15 posts, read 3,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
they are an ingenious traffic engineering device and need to be used even more.....fairly new to the US, they've been in use for many decades in Europe and promote safety, air quality, and save time for drivers......admittedly, they are confusing to a driver who encounters them for the first time, but there is only ONE RULE to know about them: always yield to a driver who is already in the circle and coming around toward you - wait until they pass you and, if nobody else is coming around, enter the circle.....you can roll right into the circle without stopping if you see nobody in the circle coming around toward you at all......

the Sedona/Cottonwood/Verde Valley traffic circles are all on newly widened/improved highways (260, 89, and 79).....yes, they require you to slow down and curve a bit when, previously, you may've been able to just speed straight thru the intersection, but, remember, you're not the only traffic out there!......this is all about safety and reducing accidents
The problem is most people in Arizona drive like idiots. I should know as I originally came from New York where people also drive like idiots. They barely work in New York and glad that I've only really seen them in Wickenberg, Sedona and Peoria. They aren't hard to drive but most people don't know how to drive in them or to yield.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know where you got that from as quite the opposite is true. They are rapidly gaining in popularity. They cut down fatal intersection accidents by 90% and save drivers time to boot. I was in Wisconsin recently and they have roundabouts everywhere with construction of new ones going full blast. The people there seem to know how to use them possibly reflecting the greater experience with them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...affic-circles/
They aren't liked by traffic control YouTubers. Now again, this is YouTube but many make the criticism that they cause more traffic than they alleviate due to people not understanding the circle. Yes you reduce fatal accidents due to red light running, but you cause more pile-ups that block up the road and force drivers to go elsewhere.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:59 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,096,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
they are an ingenious traffic engineering device and need to be used even more.....fairly new to the US, they've been in use for many decades in Europe and promote safety, air quality, and save time for drivers......admittedly, they are confusing to a driver who encounters them for the first time, but there is only ONE RULE to know about them: always yield to a driver who is already in the circle and coming around toward you - wait until they pass you and, if nobody else is coming around, enter the circle.....you can roll right into the circle without stopping if you see nobody in the circle coming around toward you at all......

the Sedona/Cottonwood/Verde Valley traffic circles are all on newly widened/improved highways (260, 89, and 79).....yes, they require you to slow down and curve a bit when, previously, you may've been able to just speed straight thru the intersection, but, remember, you're not the only traffic out there!......this is all about safety and reducing accidents
+1 ^^^ this. The chances of having to actually fully stop at a traffic circle are much less than the fifty-fifty at a traffic light.

Besides, here in AZ it seems like folks like to slow down when approaching a traffic light even when green.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
+1 ^^^ this. The chances of having to actually fully stop at a traffic circle are much less than the fifty-fifty at a traffic light.

Besides, here in AZ it seems like folks like to slow down when approaching a traffic light even when green.
I never really saw people slow to a green traffic light. A yellow light is more likely to see people speed up to make it (if they are close.)

Old 02-07-2024, 01:19 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking17 View Post
I never really saw people slow to a green traffic light. A yellow light is more likely to see people speed up to make it (if they are close.)
Yeah. "Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast." - Starman 1984. Then it was funny, today it's just normal driving. But traffic lights are still safer than roundabouts. The people who speed up on yellow lights, and run red lights, are not the type who will yield in a roundabout. Only better traffic enforcement will fix problems like that.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah. "Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast." - Starman 1984. Then it was funny, today it's just normal driving. But traffic lights are still safer than roundabouts. The people who speed up on yellow lights, and run red lights, are not the type who will yield in a roundabout. Only better traffic enforcement will fix problems like that.
Yeah, sadly you seem to only ever seem to see traffic cops around holiday weekends, known nights for drinking (Halloween, Super Bowl, New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day) or the end of the month...

Old 02-07-2024, 07:01 AM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I think someone is getting paid off to put those in. The drive to Cottonwood is crazy with roundabouts that don't do anything.
They put one in Tucson where there is a Walmart and Costco. When its busy it takes forever to get past it. And its two lanes wide which adds to the confusion. I am sure cars crash into each other at times. Some people dart out when they are don't have the right of way and others have to slam on the brakes.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:29 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking17 View Post
Yeah, sadly you seem to only ever seem to see traffic cops around holiday weekends, known nights for drinking (Halloween, Super Bowl, New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day) or the end of the month...
As much as I hate big brother cameras, they are the only solution. Every single traffic light should have a camera. The law should be clear. Not having time to stop, is not an excuse for running a red light, and judges should be prohibited from dismissing the tickets on that grounds. The yellow light is the time to stop. Every driver speeding up and running the red light by even a fraction of a second should get three tickets. One for a red light violation, one for speeding, and one for reckless driving. If they speed up and beat the red light, then they get two tickets. One for speeding and one for reckless driving. That would solve the problem better than building roundabouts.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As much as I hate big brother cameras, they are the only solution. Every single traffic light should have a camera. The law should be clear. Not having time to stop, is not an excuse for running a red light, and judges should be prohibited from dismissing the tickets on that grounds. The yellow light is the time to stop. Every driver speeding up and running the red light by even a fraction of a second should get three tickets. One for a red light violation, one for speeding, and one for reckless driving. If they speed up and beat the red light, then they get two tickets. One for speeding and one for reckless driving. That would solve the problem better than building roundabouts.
The problem is red light cameras and I am not even talking on a legality sense cause more issues. If you are going but can't stop in time for a yellow, you get ticketed. If you inch towards the line, you get ticketed. I'm sorry but your proposal is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona